Byretorial - my revolutionary marketing strategy!

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by The Byre, Nov 24, 2020.

1. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,844 4,646
    Sometime next year, when all this C19 brouhaha has abated, we might just have to start some marketing effort here at Byre Towers. So of course I thought of online. After all, it used to be massively effective and got pretty much all of our trade (that has now stopped dead!)

So I Googled for rough costs today and got the following answer -

The average cost-per-click (CPC) on Google Ads is $1 to $2 for the Google Search Network and less than $1 for the Google Display Network. Generally, small-to-midsized companies will spend $9000 to $10,000 per month on Google Ads, which doesn't include additional costs, like software.

The UK average cost-per-click of Google AdWords (now called Google Ads), on the Search Network, is between £0.66 and £1.32.

So roughly speaking, cost-per-click is £1. That's one whole pound. Even more than a Euro or a Dollar. A pound. In my book, that's real money!

How often do I click on an ad? Almost never.

How often do I actually read an unsolicited email? Almost never.

In the good old days when Google-Ads were cheap, how many clicks lead to a conversion - about one in a hundred maybe. Maybe one-in-ten. It depends on the quality of the landing page and what you are selling. At 5p a click, that was almost palatable.

But a pound? Just to have someone look at my website? Are they nuts?

And much of those online ads are strewn all over the place - not the finely targeted and deeply effective campaigns that the online ad-boys pretend it to be. Lookup a few economics questions and bogus investment advice floods the screen. Try to find a suitable CGI plugin for your fav. video editor and rubbish ads for Pinnacle or some other semi-useless video software will follow you for months.

So don't pretend it's targeted - it ain't!

The old saying used to be that half of all advertising is wasted, we just don't know which half.

And if what you are selling is good and people really want it and need it, that just might be true - maybe, if the advertising is witty and engaging! Online advertising never is! It is just irritating. Both halves are wasted.

Most online advertising creates a negative image of the product and the company - at least, it does with me. The more boring, vapid, dreary come-ons I see from a company, the less I want to hear from them and the less I trust them!

"Energy you can rely on!"
    "Click and collect!"
    "Our dedicated team!"
    "Where collectors like you meet!"
    "Where businesses like yours succeed!"
    "Quality is never out of season!"
    "Don't miss out on this once only offer!"
    "Join the revolution!"

Who are these people kidding? Do they really think that we believe the same old phrases and slogans? Businesses like yours? I don't know them and they don't know me - so why pretend? Why the BS?

Why the tired old slogans that everybody else uses and we all know to be a lie?

The offer is not once-only. Your team is not dedicated, in fact, they can't wait for five o'clock! I'm not a collector of mass-produced guff. And if there is a revolution - you, my friend, are not it!

But here's the kicker - you are paying one whole pound just to annoy me!

Talking of revolutions - here's my revolutionary idea -
    (at least it was revolutionary a few hundred years ago!)

Write a letter to people you know. You may remember them from before the lockdown. We used to call them customers. A real letter. On paper. Addressed to them personally.

"Dear Mrs. Blenkinsop," or "Dear Dave," That sort of thing!

None of that 'Hi there!' and 'How's it hangin'?'

In that letter, you tell the customer about your latest products and how it could benefit them.

Remember - your existing clients are your best prospects. They are many times more likely to buy than identical people who are not clients. Keep communicating with them, ask them for referrals.

Tell them about changes and improvements and benefits. New services you now offer that you didn't before. Old prospects who didn't buy the first time around are also potential clients.

Name your unique selling proposition, which is much better because it says you offer something nobody else does.

Tell people what problems you solve, what opportunities you make possible. Use testimonials, case studies, white papers and performance data, which prove your claims.

Build relationships and build trust.

Now print that letter on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope. If you buy envelopes, paper and ink in bulk, that whole operation will cost 5p or even less.

Now ensure that it goes to that person and that they actually read the thing. You can do this by affixing a second-class stamp on the envelope. It costs 65p.

So far, we have spent 70p and a little time and we know that Mrs. Blenkinsop and Dave will read that letter! You might even enclose a brochure or a newsletter.

70p is less than £1 and the success rate is many times better - and people like getting personal letters and they read them!

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  2. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Ace Full Member

1,873 452
    Google seems to deliberately undermine targetting. For example, these days broad match is the default.

I understand what you are saying about existing clients, but what about finding new clients?

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  3. The Byre

10,844 4,646
    I use two garages - one is a Stig-with-a-Spanner genius guy who used to be the foreman at the local GM franchise. The other is a four-bay family-run high-tech business that wins awards for best UK indi garage on a fairly regular basis. Both are booked out weeks in advance.

People told me about them.

That's why one should ask for referrals. Spread the word.

Once a week, draw up a list of potential clients and write a real letter to them.

People read letters.

4. thetiger2015

thetiger2015 UKBF Regular Free Member

461 148
    You'd be in breach of GDPR wouldn't you?

You cannot contact anyone at all, for any marketing purposes, unless they have asked you to contact them.

Not sure on the success rate of sending a letter, if you've sold someone a laptop cable though. I don't think they'd have much interest in me sending them a letter.

Online is now completely over subscribed though. It's more difficult than ever to get noticed, because it's so easy to set up a business and develop products. Just today, browsing through various social feeds, there are literally hundreds of people selling the same products - the product photography is amazing - but they're all essentially the same thing.

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 By: thetiger2015 Member since: Aug 29, 2015
  5. The Byre

10,844 4,646
    Since when is writing a letter to someone you know in breach of GDPR?

And with knobs on!

6. thetiger2015

thetiger2015 UKBF Regular Free Member

461 148
    Because you said this: 'Write a letter to people you know. You may remember them from before the lockdown. We used to call them customers. A real letter. On paper. Addressed to them personally.'

So, as per the guidelines you'd have to ensure 'legitimate interest' before sending someone mail.

Granted, it's less restrictive than email, which requires an actual opt-in tick next to 'happy to receive marketing emails' but you still need to have some sort of recent transactional history there, just in case someone kicks off and starts complaining or doesn't remember purchasing from you within the last 12 months.

I know they do this with vehicle servicing/MOTs and swapping your vehicle at the end of a lease or when you've paid off finance. They send you a letter with a promotional code or something and it seems to work.

Not sure if this would work for lower value or non repeat purchases though. It would need to be a product of value or something that requires maintenance/regular replacement.

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 By: thetiger2015 Member since: Aug 29, 2015
  7. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,724 1,854
    I have made a fatal mistake, I don't have the physical mailing addresses for my thousands of WordPress plugin customer - ooops.

While we are on letters, years ago when we used to build website for customers, we tested sending letters to newly registered companies. Expensive, due to postage, but we had really good success - out of the 1st 100 we got 3 new customers.

So we ramped it up, automated the letters via technology, previously we hand addressed the envelopes.

500 a month for 3 months - zero leads.

Hmmm, it seems handwritten envelopes were an important factor.

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  8. BustersDogs

BustersDogs UKBF Ace Free Member

1,380 257
    I destroy all my old clients personal details, although I still remember where most of them live if they didn't move. My current clients would think it's weird if I wrote them a letter when I am at their house every day. ;)

I am however trying to get my old newsletter back up and running because due to covid I now have more online services that I am hoping to sell, and I joined patreon that I want to get people signed up to. I let the newletter lapse 3 years ago when I had some health issues, but I have checked with GDPR that I can go back to it (I am sure someone will tell me if I am wrong), my main concern is that as it's about dogs, there may be some people who have lost their dogs and I need to be very tactful.

When lockdown first happened I got emails from companies I hadn't dealt with in many years - 17 in one case. :eek:

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 By: BustersDogs Member since: Jun 7, 2011