Buying text link's to websites

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by frank, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darren atkinson

darren atkinson Contributor

821 175
    I understand what your saying but I feel that it wouldn't really work that well in practice for 2 main reasons:

1. Only a small percentage of web users have the ability and know how to provide a link from either a site or blog that they own. While this is still a large number of potential link giving visitors, even for sites with fairly decent visitor stats it could be really difficult to attract links.

Also if you had your own website and or blog, realistically how many times would you visit a site to buy something then decide to write about it and provide a link? Maybe some would do it more than others, but even so its not going to be a full time job for somebody, which even further limits the amount of links available.

2. If I launch my new eStore how am I meant to attract those link givers? The best site in the world with high quality unique content still needs links to get any kind of ranking with a search engine, to get links in this new 'non paid for link world' I'm going to need to somehow attract enough visitors to get the small percentage who can actually provide a link to me.

I'm not trying to be funny, I feel these are the problems that Google faces.

Another way to look at it is as follows:

Lets say for my new business I decide to use TV advertising to attract visitors, now I could produce the best advert ever made, but unless I purchase a lot of high cost TV slots no one will hardly ever see the ad, and it will be highly un-effective.

The same goes for print media, a really smart print ad is worthless without good exposure.

An amazing website with great content, products, prices, copy etc... is useless without the visitors.

Isn't paying for links the same as paying for decent TV slot, or a prominent position in a highly circulated magazine or newspaper?

Again, my view is that Google needs these paid links to aid its ranking mechanism despite what they may say.

Regards

Darren

Posted: Apr 23, 2007 By: darren atkinson Member since: Sep 21, 2005
  2. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice Contributor

10,942 3,530
    Darren

This is a really interesting point and part of what makes this topic so fascinating.

I guess the answer is that you would have to use non-SEO marketing approaches.

But there are loads of business sites out there that are on page 20+ of google's "organic" results that get by without free SE traffic.

It's normal for a business to have to pay (whether it's money or time) to get in front of prospects. At least until they've built a reputation that leads to word of mouth.

But, once they've done that, and if they've got what Duane called

They'll be heavily rewarded.

Steve

Posted: Apr 23, 2007 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  3. Guest

0 0
    Google may stop paid links, but I'd just expect that those with big enough pockets to buy links regularly will just start buying whole websites instead and the problem will just move up a level.

Regards, John

Posted: Apr 23, 2007 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  4. RayB

RayB Contributor

6,474 242
    Thats a great point!

Just off to google "websites for sale" :D

Posted: Apr 23, 2007 By: RayB Member since: Nov 12, 2006
  5. JustOneUK

JustOneUK Contributor

3,568 268
    Not really, there are 1000's of free drectories out there, there are 1000's of forums, millions of blogs etc, these are all free and are as much of the problem. Paid links are not the problem.

Webmasters can game the SE's without paid links, the point is why run sites for free?
    I can give out free links to your website from my PR4 directory... I just won't be able to sell them??? Makes no sense.

If you want to appear above the other sites listed why not pay a bit extra? you are not gaming the SE's any extra as you could have the link for free anyway:|

What it may do long term is make me force you to add a reciprocal link (or triangulate one) in order to get listed. General pain in the ass. :mad:

Posted: Apr 23, 2007 By: JustOneUK Member since: Nov 19, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.