Buying text link's to websites

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by frank, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tin

Tin Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

5,963 1,668
    It's inevitable that text links will, at a point in the not too distant future cease to be relied upon to the degree Google and other engines place on them currently because of clear and obvious abuse.

In 2003 it took just 32 external text links to get George Bush's Biography site to rank at #1 on Google for the keywords;
    miserable failure & failure which really highlighted how easy it was to "influence" Google data. It's been widely known for a very long time that links assist rankings, links can be bought and it just boils down to the depth of a pocket at the end of the day. Everyone knowns about it and so does Google, which is why it's been above radar at GooglePlex for years.

PR went the same way. Cracking idea at the time until Google realised shortly afterwards that PR too bore an un-healthy relationship between rankings and the depth of an individuals pocket which forced Google to look into ways of identifying sites believed to be blatantly selling PR for the sole purpose of artificially inflating other site rankings.

It's not just organic listings they've been looking at in detail, since last July they've been hammering away nicely at Adwords abusers.

At the end of the day, sites that are 'solely' reliant upon links for their rankings may be in for a surprise.

My 2 cents worth.[​IMG]

Posted: Apr 20, 2007 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  2. RayB

RayB Contributor

6,474 242
    I agree with Tin,

I see PR9 ranked pages selling links via the known brokers for $2500 A MONTH at the moment. This is blatant gaming of SE's and I guess very easy for them to detect these days.

Thats expensive, especially for a link that won't count soon.

Better to spend your money on strict white hat SEO in the long term in my opinion - but hey, what do I know - spend your money as you see fit :)

Posted: Apr 20, 2007 By: RayB Member since: Nov 12, 2006
  3. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice Contributor

10,942 3,530
    Some interesting comments from Ray B and Tin.

While I'm no SEO and I can't say what google are doing with their algo, from a business/marketing strategy perspective, it seems to me that the Google empire will stand or fall on their ability to continue to provide the highest quality and most relevant set of results.

Fortunately (for google users like me), Google's search engine pockets are deeper than anyone else's.

So, I know who'll end up on top in this fight.

And my guess - and remember I don't know the SEO industry - is that the future of SEO won't be artificial linking strategies, it'll be aligning with google's goals and suplying the sort of on-page content google wants to share with their users.

(or, at least, what "looks" to their bots like "quality content")

Just my 2p, feel free to disagree.

Steve

Posted: Apr 20, 2007 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  4. RayB

RayB Contributor

6,474 242
    Hi Richard - ok then!

5. An Oasis

An Oasis Contributor

9,899 1,683
    Hey Ray ;)

Further thoughts

The move is unethical, let's just take on example paid listings in directories. Anyone who runs a business of that kind has just lost a company and all their employees are looking for jobs.

Devalue links sure but G are also asking for people to report paid links, if they can't detect paid links I'm a pink fairy.

Q. What's the difference between paid links and using Adwords?
    A. Google would rather you did the later.

My 1/2p

Posted: Apr 20, 2007 By: An Oasis Member since: Oct 3, 2006
  6. An Oasis

An Oasis Contributor

9,899 1,683
    Posted: Apr 20, 2007 By: An Oasis Member since: Oct 3, 2006
  7. mattk

mattk Contributor

2,554 935
    Yes, I do buy text links.

Yes, I do think they are value for money, both in driving traffic and in gaining "reputation" for your site.

Yes, I have seen what I consider to be a direct improvement in search engine rankings due to links that I have bought.

Personally, I buy my links from the forums at DigitalPoint. There are some very imaginative people on there selling links in very ingenious ways. If you are thinking about buying links for your site I'd suggest you start off with some low costs links, learn what seems to work for your site and build from there. Now is also an idea time to buy, as most people sell in $s and the exchange rate makes them excellent value for money.

Just my 2p!

Posted: Apr 20, 2007 By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  8. RayB

RayB Contributor

6,474 242
    Yep Google will never rumble these "ingenious methods" - unless it crawls those pages :eek:

Might as well walk up and down outside Google HQ wearing a sandwich board saying "links for sale here" :D

9. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice Contributor

10,942 3,530
    My take on the changes to adwords (the so-called "googleslap"s) is that Google realised the dangers of poor quality post-click content.

If people kept clicking on PPC ads and ended up at spammy, poor-value sites or kept getting the same page via different ads (because of multiple affiliates), they'd start to become innoculated against the paid listings.

And this would slash Google's PPC income.

So, they took a long term view and decided that the RH side of the page should offer a similar quality and relevance to the organic listings on the left.

I think it was a smart move and will make google a lot of money in the long-term.

Steve

Posted: Apr 20, 2007 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  10. Tin

Tin Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

5,963 1,668
    I think that'd work wonders for you Ray as long as the colour of your sandwich board isn't the same colour as your suit, Google may see it as sandwich board spamming!:D

Ray

11. RayB

RayB Contributor

6,474 242
    Do they still make Spam - I used to like Spam sandwiches when I was a kid. It comes in "Tins" too :D

12. Calypso

Calypso Contributor

796 21
    saved me asking, thanks.

Dean

Posted: Apr 20, 2007 By: Calypso Member since: Mar 26, 2007
  13. Tin

Tin Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

5,963 1,668
    Nice one Ray:D:D

14. Aspect Investments

Aspect Investments Contributor

1,199 67
    Google wants to take over the world.

They are totally obsessed with making money.

They are putting more and more restrictions on organic results to encourage more people to use adwords.

If Google had its way it would make its entire search facility adwords.

This is their ultimate goal in my opinion.

Posted: Apr 21, 2007 By: Aspect Investments Member since: Nov 26, 2006
  15. JustOneUK

JustOneUK Contributor

3,568 268
    I agree.

I am already in the process of removing the promotion of adwords from my sites.

If Google wants to bite the hand of those who feed it, so be it. :)

I don't think they can possibly stop searchengine manipulation or the sale of links for SE improvement. They have to rank sites SOMEHOW. They can't possibly switch to content only and that just makes spam inevitable and we are back to the old days of text stuffing. The only reason they would try to indroduce changes would be to try and further increase thier sales of adwords, as if they were the only place to advertise on the entire web.

It could open the opportunity for Yahoo to become the no1 search engine..... if only they could get their bloody finger out and get their publisher network worldwide. No wonder they announce 11% decrease of revenue this quarter. :|

Posted: Apr 21, 2007 By: JustOneUK Member since: Nov 19, 2005
  16. Aspect Investments

1,199 67
    I do think that there is the possibility of another search engine taking over from Google. It would have to be a brand new one though, something a little different that catches on quickly.

Googles success was built on the fact that it was a no frills, no ads, relevant search engine. That is not the case anymore, and the door is open for another one to step in.

This is why google is buying up the world and launching different products, because they know that their time as the top search engine may not last.

17. JustOneUK

JustOneUK Contributor

3,568 268
  18. RayB

RayB Contributor

6,474 242
    I think this is getting a bit harsh on Google. There is a lot of hysteria in the web community at the moment - all Google is trying to do is eliminate as far as possible the SE gaming and slewing of results by buying links for Pagerank.

I have seen a PR9 homepage link for sale @ $2500 per month.

If I had deep pockets and bought it - and it blew an honest webmaster out of the water - is that fair? No!

So - I think what thet are doing is great.

Lets have SERPS more honestly earned and level the playing field.

Posted: Apr 21, 2007 By: RayB Member since: Nov 12, 2006
  19. JustOneUK

JustOneUK Contributor

3,568 268
    Of course it's fair, if you have deep pockets you can rank no1 on adwords by paying the most per click. It's the same. They don't give it to you for nothing! want to be no1 for the term Property?, pay Google. :|

I have seen advertising space on The Times that costs a lot (PR9), or there is always your local paper (PR1)! :)

Every website is like a small newspaper, and you should be entitled to make money as you see fit.

20. Aspect Investments

1,199 67
    I dont think buying links from a page rank 9 site will help you rank number 1 on google

Buying high pr links is only a benefit if you have a high pr site. For example if you have a pr4 then dont buy links from a pr9, as google will know its a paid link.

What pr9 site would genuinely link to a pr4?

Go for quantity over quality if you want to get on the 1st page of google :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.