Buying from Alibaba

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Jimmy Lawrence, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence UKBF Regular Free Member

107 6
    Does anyone have any experiance on purchasing on Alibaba as i have tried three times in the past and all three times i never received my items.

I would realy like to have another go, Can anyone recomend any good reliable suppliers on Alibaba or any other.

Thanls James

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 By: Jimmy Lawrence Member since: Dec 23, 2007
  2. liquid_meth

liquid_meth UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi

I've bought from alibaba suppliers on a number of occasions. As long as you use common sense and don't buy form Indonesia it is okay. I recommend checking the alibaba forums for more advice. Some of my own would be not to buy from free members and to attempt to stay away from offers that sound too good, even if they provide you with a v. goodlooking website that seems professional. I can design a tasker macro in a day that would allow me to build a cool looking shop from a template time and time again with slight variations in colour, fonts, prices, etc.

General experience has been educational to say the least. For example on one occasion I bought microphones that said "Made in Germany" on them from Malaysia, about 30% of the mikes were faulty, the rest were fine and sellable. I'm using one of them now for podcasting, it is fine, but that venture was definitely not profitable.

On the other hand, laser pointers in 95% of the purchases were fine and even the faulty ones I learned to repair, so overall its not bad.

The most essential advice is:

To order samples first.
    To think of any questions regarding the products before making a large order.
    To stay away from free members
    To stay away from offers that seem too good. Risk is good and all, but get real.

D.G
    Liquid_meth

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 By: liquid_meth Member since: Jul 17, 2008
  3. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,705 720
    I don't usually agree with the statement "a fool and his money are easily parted" but I think I'll make an exception for you.

Avoid Alibaba at all costs unless you enjoy giving your money to scam artists, its not just the free members who will take your money and run :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    Posted: Jan 4, 2009 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  4. tomo88

tomo88 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 1
    I've spent thousands of pounds with suppliers listed on Alibaba within the last month, no complaints from me.

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 By: tomo88 Member since: Jan 1, 2009
  5. Moneyman

Moneyman UKBF Legend Free Member

2,729 785
    Some of the best and worst companies are on there. Just take everything with a pinch of salt. Personally i always go via an intermediary broker who sorts out the detail, chooses the supplier etc...another 5-20% but the risk is removed.

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 By: Moneyman Member since: May 3, 2008
  6. Jimmy Lawrence

107 6
    Thank, could you recomend any suppiers?

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 By: Jimmy Lawrence Member since: Dec 23, 2007
  7. Jimmy Lawrence

107 6

Thank you for the advice i will note your advice for my next purcahse from Alibaba.

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 By: Jimmy Lawrence Member since: Dec 23, 2007
  8. betausers

betausers UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 4
    Alibaba is a cesspool for scammers. You really have to tread carefully. Even the scammers aren´t making enough efforts to stand out from the crowd. Nowadays you have the Chinese watch scammers ripping each others site photos, even with the watermark intact!

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 By: betausers Member since: Jan 17, 2009
  9. chinashopping

chinashopping UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    What kind of product you want to purchase?I would like to help you.

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 By: chinashopping Member since: Feb 10, 2012
  10. AlibabaTalk

AlibabaTalk UKBF Contributor Free Member

41 3
    Hi guys

It’s very important to take due diligence before you make an order with a new supplier. Hiring a local inspection is a solution. We understand that it will incur extra costs but this can ensure that you are happy with the quality of the products you received. The other suggestion is to order samples first before you make bulk purchasing.

Product Inspection Services are also useful, allowing you check out the products you're sourcing before you before you make an order. You can find more details on our website.

You may find the information on the Safe Trading section of Alibaba.com useful as it contains tips on how to verify companies or make secure payments

Kind regards and happy trading,

The Alibaba UK Team

Posted: Feb 14, 2012 By: AlibabaTalk Member since: May 27, 2011
  11. ITsoldUK

ITsoldUK UKBF Newcomer Full Member

2,221 666
    OT WARNING

Is it just me or does anyone else think that this company name was chosen deliberately to attract crooks?

BOT

If you don't feel safe trading on there, don't...period.

If you are unable to protect you and your money then leave well alone.

JMTC

Posted: Feb 14, 2012 By: ITsoldUK Member since: Sep 15, 2011
  12. mazzy2k

mazzy2k UKBF Newcomer Free Member

23 2
    Hi,

Ive used alibaba for years now and i would like to think i have a general idea of what to buy.

You can generally tell by how responsive the seller is, and the information they give you about their products.

If you need any help feel free to PM or reply here with any questions!

Thanks,

M:)

Posted: Feb 14, 2012 By: mazzy2k Member since: Feb 14, 2012
  13. dynamic08

dynamic08 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,897 91
    You can generally tell by the response you get back. If your hearing yes to everything then that is certainly not always a good sign.

I have been lucky to date apart from 1 shipment where the quality was very bad. How ever I got lucky and got a portion of my money back I broke even on that deal.

It does depends on the product an enormous amount.

Posted: Feb 15, 2012 By: dynamic08 Member since: May 19, 2008
  14. Greg Black

Greg Black UKBF Newcomer Free Member

117 27
    Doesn't Alibaba offer an escrow service to take some of the risk away?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    Posted: Feb 15, 2012 By: Greg Black Member since: Feb 3, 2012
  15. David A

David A UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

577 134
    Or in the Queen's English, give me some more details, and hopfully I'll be able to scam you out of some money.

Posted: Feb 15, 2012 By: David A Member since: Mar 25, 2011
  16. Liybpg

Liybpg UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

782 90
    I wasn't impressed with Alibaba what so ever, it is full of scammers and I cannot believe this is considered to be one of the most promising companies by the financial markets. Alibaba team need to clean up their suppliers big time and before they do that, their website will always have no credibility with buyers.

I used DHGate website, which I found a little less scam-like. It is not perfect but if you are careful the escrow service they provide will help you losing all your money. However what I did find was that if there were any disputes, they would normally be on the sellers' side, which isn't helpful.

Posted: Feb 16, 2012 By: Liybpg Member since: Nov 8, 2009
  17. AlibabaTalk

AlibabaTalk UKBF Contributor Free Member

41 3
    Hi Liybpg,

I am really sorry to read about your experience. Have you reported a trade dispute via Alibaba.com? You can make a report via Alibaba.com. If we find out a dishonest supplier after investigation, we will close their account immediately.

Also, I would like to make you aware that trading with Gold Supplier members entitles you to the application of Fair Play Fund if you encounter a dishonest supplier.

Once again, I am really sorry to read about your unfortunate experience with Alibaba.com. I would like to reassure you that we are working hard to combat dishonest activities across our platform.

Kind regards,

The Alibaba UK Team

Posted: Feb 17, 2012 By: AlibabaTalk Member since: May 27, 2011
  18. xylen

xylen UKBF Regular Free Member

200 23
    I have just started using aliexpress to source some telecom products from china and have been very happy so far. Great communication, service and reliability from my supplier.

Ive also seen a samsung TV which is almost half the cost compared to the UK price....it sounds too good to be true but aliexpress do offer a escrow service and only release payment if its delivered and is "as described" in any communication with the supplier.

Posted: Feb 19, 2012 By: xylen Member since: Nov 2, 2010
  19. damiandel

damiandel UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I brought a mobile phone from Shenzhen RTDC Technology Co, Ltd. (full contact details below) but it was faulty.

I returned the phone to them by recorded delivery on 8th October 2013 (Royalmail, tracking: RU101429465GB). They received it on the 29/10/2013 and agreed to give me a refund (I can send you proof of confirmation, if necessary) but they have not done so.

Its now been several weeks since they agreed to issue me a refund but I still haven't received my money. They are avoiding all of my attempts to contact them and resolve this matter.

Item details:

Product: THL W8S 2G 32G Mobile Phone
    Order No: 60188109866138
    Brought on: 21/09/2013
    Price: $279

Sellers details:

Name: Mr. Jack wan
    Company Name: Shenzhen RTDC Technology Co., Ltd.
    Street Address: 22A,b block, xiandaizhichuang, huaqianbei road, futian ditrict,shenzhen
    Country/Region: Hong Kong
    Zip: 518031

Department: Sales
    Position: Manager

Please help me get back my money.

Posted: Dec 7, 2013 By: damiandel Member since: Dec 7, 2013
  20. B2B Sourcing

B2B Sourcing UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    It really depends on what products you are looking to buy and in what quantity. Are there dodgy sellers on Alibaba? Yes, of course there are, however there are even more who are genuine sellers looking to do right by their customers.

The main issue is that of safety should something go wrong. What payment methods do your chosen suppliers accept? Most will not accept payment via PayPal or other more secure methods and will insist on bank/wire transfer or even the dreaded Western Union. Should something go wrong you will have little to no come back.

There is also the fact that the vast majority of sellers using Alibaba are middle men and not the actual factory or manufacturer. This is a major issue and is something which can also lead to low quality and potentially dangerous items coming on to the market as these middle men will source the cheapest and lowest quality products and try to pass them on as high quality.

The bottom line is that you can find some good and trustworthy suppliers using Alibaba, however you need to do you homework and request full business details in order to try and verify they are who they say they are.

Again, depending on your requirements, products and quantities it may be worth seeking help from a professional sourcing company such as ourselves or others to help you get the right products.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Dec 7, 2013 By: B2B Sourcing Member since: Nov 22, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.