Buying and Selling Domain Names

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by rss, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rss

rss UKBF Newcomer Free Member

206 7
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]I'm just wondering if anyone on the forum dabbles in the purchasing and selling of domain names?

I've got about 8 domain names now. Nothing of any value really, but do know of several that are available that 'seem' to be good names, but I've no idea if they're worth anything....

Just looking for past experiences/advice/thoughts on this area?
    [/FONT]

Posted: Jun 18, 2007 By: rss Member since: Apr 26, 2007
  2. lex

lex UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

745 41
    I have done this although mainly by accident really, i had some online business ideas, bought the domains and then when i didnt do the business sold on the domains for profit.

I suggest you go to www.namepros.com and ask there, its a domain buying and selling forum and you will get alot of help.

Posted: Jun 18, 2007 By: lex Member since: Jun 22, 2006
  3. Astaroth

Astaroth UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,076 279
    Only done it once and then it was by accident also - got caught up in a trademark argument, had permission from the UK owner of the trademark but the USA owners contacted me and ultimately bought the domains off me for a reasonable amount.

Have a few domains that may be worth something to someone which are sitting around but never marketed them properly

Posted: Jun 18, 2007 By: Astaroth Member since: Aug 24, 2005
  4. atmcouk

atmcouk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

130 8
    Posted: Jun 19, 2007 By: atmcouk Member since: Jul 19, 2006
  5. mustbenuts

mustbenuts UKBF Newcomer Free Member

39 0
    I often buy and sell domains, websites (normally communities), traffic and content

theres big money in it

I recently sold a community for £2500 after buying it 3 months earlier for £400

Domains are harder to sell as things that affect the PR (the main value in the domain) are altered once you transfer the domain, change the server and change the content of the site

Things that add value are DMOZ listed, age of domain, backlinks & PR etc
    also you want .com names and you want them as short as possible without hyphens and numbers

there are many free domain lookup tools on the net to give you an idea of all the above for a particular domain and there are some good market places to sell these

If anyone has PR4 plus domains that they want to sell or good communities (e.g. forums etc) drop me a pm with the details and i'll make you an offer if it interests me ;)

Also i build iproduct portfolios for people
    ( a mix of domains, sites, content etc)
    you need approx £500 minimum to invest
    but the returns are often very interesting
    anyone interested drop me a pm

Its a nice alternative to the regular types of investment

Posted: Jun 19, 2007 By: mustbenuts Member since: May 8, 2007
  6. XEC Internet Consultants

XEC Internet Consultants UKBF Newcomer Free Member

299 20
    I am a domain broker for .co.uk so would be happy to look at your lists to see I can get a sale for you.

You could also list them on sedo.co.uk for sale - I would advise against listing them on eBay as really you won't get full value.

Let me know if you need any help!

Cheers
    Stephen.

Posted: Jul 14, 2007 By: XEC Internet Consultants Member since: Feb 27, 2007
  7. kanaga

kanaga UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    hai,
    I found the site tucktail for getting the Buying a domain name.
    It also provides the free hosting service.

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 By: kanaga Member since: Jul 6, 2009
  8. jane p

jane p UKBF Ace Free Member

1,579 86
    ive got one for sale?

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 By: jane p Member since: Nov 6, 2008
  9. Tommo

Tommo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

560 91
    I do recommend Name Pros, go and have a look at the appraisal forums there and you will see what people are saying about domains, learn from this and soon enough you will be able to appraise domains reasonably easily.

You're welcome to PM me a list of domains you'd like a quick appraisal on.

And what are your user names at NP people??

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 By: Tommo Member since: Jul 15, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.