Business name too similar?

Discussion in 'First Steps To Starting A Business' started by Danalemas, Oct 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danalemas

Danalemas UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    I'm currently researching the possibility of a new business venture. I have spent quite some time looking at possible business names. Once an idea is formed I check to see if the domain name is available as well as social media handles. This proving a difficult task, as I'm sure others find.

My question though is how similar can name be to an existing company registered with Companies House?

I liked the name Surefire Safety Ltd, but this is already listed. I was therefore hoping to use the name ShurFire Safety Ltd, but understand this may be too similar. Am I right in thinking this would be rejected and I would need to find a less similar name?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Oct 31, 2016 By: Danalemas Member since: Oct 31, 2016
  2. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend

12,395 2,602
    It's no point in naming a company close to another name as when you get established they will normally object and make you start again with another name, and as they are established there may be a good chance they have more money to fight the claim with

You could go the easy route and have something like Norfolk Safety ltd or Norfolk Safety Training

Posted: Oct 31, 2016 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  3. TODonnell

TODonnell UKBF Legend

1,405 215
    Just try to avoid your business being confused with any other local business selling the same thing. 'Local' can also mean the internet, in the same country.

Your suggestion above is not too smart. Get a name that is unique and also memorable, so you can be 'top of mind' and Google, at least for that name.

e.g. Best Cafe Ltd is a dull, dull name and not true, and not memorable.

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 By: TODonnell Member since: Sep 23, 2011
  4. Krystsina

Krystsina UKBF Ace

219 119
    Absolutely agree with the opinions above: why to confuse your future clients with another business? It is a way better to create a unique name that will be connected only to your company.

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 By: Krystsina Member since: Jun 21, 2016
  5. Danalemas

Danalemas UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    Many thanks for all your opinions and I can now see the error in the name I liked. To explain a little further I work as a full-time firefighter but am looking to gain NEBOSH qualifications to enable me to undertake fire risk assessment work on my days off. Also this would run alongside a current venture where I supply off-duty firefighters to attend local events to provide first aid cover.

Therefore my previous working title was Treble9 Safety Solutions. Any opinions on this name? Does it sound memorable enough?

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 By: Danalemas Member since: Oct 31, 2016
  6. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

35,011 10,695
    The domain name doesn't have to be the same as the company name. And the SM handles can be abbreviations or acronyms.

But go for something non-descript that allows your business to grow and expand. Having the words 'fire' and 'training' in everything means you will have a problem in three years time when you want to start offering first aid or H&S training.

Treble9 SAfety Solutions is horrible. Avoid the alphanumerincs and the word 'solutions'.

What's wrong with just using 'Danalemas Training'?

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  7. LowPrices.uk

LowPrices.uk UKBF Enthusiast

663 94
    I wouldn't go with anything 999 related as it sounds too much like the emergency services.

Also, Companies House will prevent you registering a company name that is too similar to an existing one. Note however that companies house registration is for admin/tax purposes, whereas it is the Trademark Office that deals with intellectual property name protection. I'm not saying you need a trademark, but be aware of the distinction.

In reality, the way you want to choose a name is whether it is good for marketing. That means distinct, memorable, easy to spell etc.

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 By: LowPrices.uk Member since: Dec 1, 2014
  8. Danalemas

Danalemas UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    Some really great advice and interesting opinions here. I'm glad I asked now and see where I'm going wrong.

I've been looking at words associated with emergencies etc. I like the word alert and the meaning behind it. Therefore I would propose something as simple as Alert Safety (straight to the point and offers an explanation as to what we do). Or, as previous advised, I could go for something a little more abstract such as "Alert and Safe" or "Safe and Alert". Maybe this would give some kind of brand presence.

I must say I am not over keen on the more generic sounding "Danalemas Training Ltd". But thanks for the suggestion nonetheless.

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 By: Danalemas Member since: Oct 31, 2016
  9. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

35,011 10,695
    So what exactly does 'Alert Safety' mean? You ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers.

Danalemas Training Ltd is boring but very clear. What you can then do is build a website with a funky domain name and lots of branding with a 'trading as' moniker.

B&Q seems to do OK with diy.com

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  10. Don Smith

Don Smith UKBF Regular

155 51
    Forget social media, just forget it. It'll bring you no business but take a lot of your time. Naming is almost irrelevant, think Marks & Spencer, Tesco, Saintsbury's etc etc meaningless at the point of conception. Just go for "your name fire safety" its as good as anything and says what you do. Then pay for, and experiment with, traditional advertisement's in your local area.

The real world for business's like your's are not within the internet. The internet is just a add-on sales channel. SHOCK HORROR, BUT IT'S TRUE.

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 By: Don Smith Member since: Oct 2, 2016
  11. lisa benner

lisa benner UKBF Newcomer

33 5
    great advice all around. the registered business name can be anything as long as your brand name works it doesnt matter.

Posted: Nov 8, 2016 By: lisa benner Member since: Nov 6, 2016
  12. Matt.WD

Matt.WD UKBF Newcomer

33 5
    The largest online retailer of pet products in Europe (almost £1bn turnover) is called 'zooplus'...its not all about the name.

Posted: Nov 10, 2016 By: Matt.WD Member since: Oct 23, 2016
  13. FreebieBoy34

FreebieBoy34 UKBF Newcomer

117 9

Hi there! My advice on this is to think a bit further until you find a name that is unique and will accurately define the type of business that you have. The thing about using "similar" is too risky as customers might assume that you are this other company because similarity in the business name. And most of the time when this happens, their confusion will turn into disappointment and as a result you'll get a negative feedback from what they have experienced. Moreover, there is also a possibility of being labelled as a copycat or someone who's taking advantage of a brand's popularity (if they are already popular)... Then gain this is just my opinion based on your situation...:)

Hope it helps.:)

Posted: Nov 14, 2016 By: FreebieBoy34 Member since: Sep 28, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.