General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Business Mobile Phones

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Mac Yeti, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac Yeti

Mac Yeti UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,172 13
    Hi,

We're looking at getting a couple of mobiles for our new employees, probably via vodafone as we already have a business contract with them.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best phone or package to get? We were looking at the Blackberry Pearl or the Nokia N95 but I'm a bit lost as to what it all means :)

It doesn't explain on the vodafone website - what's a data pack? (It's an extra monthly cost), also does it matter if we don't have the vodafone business email included?

Any advice much appreciated :)

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 By: Mac Yeti Member since: Aug 22, 2005
  2. Mardell

Mardell UKBF Newcomer Free Member

48 1
    Im not sure on the mobile packages, but have had experience with blackberry from installation side, you have two ways to utilise a blackberry, either go with the phone providers basic package which will allow you to setup an email account with them and forward your emails to this account (to recieve via blackberry) or go the Blackberry enterprise route (which is what we use) this sends all emails recieved in exchange straight to the device.

not sure on costs or best package so sorry for not being helpful there.

Regards
    Dan

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 By: Mardell Member since: Nov 13, 2006
  3. shawnick

shawnick UKBF Newcomer Free Member

44 2
    Hi, I work for a independent telecom company covering all 5 networks. If you would like me to see what the best route or offers for you are then please let me know.
    With regard to phones: The N95 is a great phone but as a business tool i would avoid it. The features provided far exceed what you would use for daily business use so no point in paying a high contract to purchase or sign up to an 18 month contract.

I would highly recommend a blackberry Pearl ( the new 8120 - has built in gps for sat nav) As Mardell mentioned you do have 2 option to do this. but i disagree with the way he has described these. the cheaper which is a network enabled service allowing you to setup up to 10 email addresses on the device and instantly collect the email(not forward). This will also connect to an exchange server if you have this enabled separately with your web hosting.

Or

The blackberry enterprise server. This is much more advanced and costly (so avoid unless you really want to pay out) but allows you to wirelessly synchronise calendar, contacts and emails.

The data charge is for 6mb of data usage( more than enough for a blackberry). Depending on what tariff you are on this can cost from £5 per month. So if you are adding this to a small business price plan it would cost from £17.50 per month to share your existing minutes and receive emails on the blackberry.

If you would like any further help or a quote from a dedicated team please pm me.

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 By: shawnick Member since: Aug 6, 2007
  4. Mac Yeti

1,172 13
    Thanks for the advice guys, when I looked at the blackberry it comes in at around £40pm - I'm thinking it's cheaper to get them personal contracts?! Especially given that the business contracts don't seem to include text messages.

5. shawnick

44 2
    Your welcome for the advice.

If you would like quote drop me an email with how many phone you have on the contract and how many mins and texts you use each month and i will get something together for you. £40 per month is much more than it should be costing you. i'd say £17.50 to £20 MAX. If your looking for included texts some packages do come with them so worth looking around. pm me and ill drop you an email with my details if you would like me to do this for you.
    Kind regards,

Nick Shaw
    Swift Telecom

6. Mardell

48 1
    Sorry i may not have explained myself properly, what I was ment to say is you get the 10 email addresses (provided by the provider for example [email protected]) which means if you have an exchange server in place you would have to forward your [email protected] to the vodafone account, you cannot connect it too an exchange server using the basic package...

7. Mac Yeti

1,172 13
    We don't have an exchange server, it's just set up with our hosting and downloads to outlook. Does this mean that if the mails were being forwarded to the vodafone address that they wouldn't appear in outlook?

8. Mardell

48 1
    No as in outlook under accounts, you have an option to leave a copy on your server (on your hosting server) for blackberry to collect. with the blacberry personal (BlackBerry® Internet Service) from memory it installs a bit of software on your desktop which sends the emails to the device??

9. shawnick

44 2
    Sorry Mardell don't mean to disagree with you but you can can set up to 10 email address on the phone these can be either a vodafone supplied 1 or your own imap/ pop email and the blackberry will pick this up from your mailbox. within the setup screen it will allow you to select a ms exchange server and enter the ip address of this. If you would like me to talk you through this so you can set this up with your blackberry let me know. This can all be done from the basic bis (blackberry internet service) service. ​

10. Mardell

48 1
    I stand corrected, the way i understood from our supplier was that BIS would only collect from either supplied email or pop3 account not SMTP feed exchange.

What would be the point of BE with a 5 user pack if you can do this with BIS....

11. shawnick

44 2
    Your right with the software Mardell, You do have the option to install a piece of software that will forward any emails from your desktop email program to the blackberry. This is an option that i think is rather pointless unless you have over 10 email addresses to manage on 1 blackberry. The blackberry can connect to your isp's server to collect any emails and leave a copy on the server.

12. shawnick

44 2
    The Bes option allows you to host your whole email server in-house, You are buying the software needed to install on a server and the users for it. If you go for the BIS option and then connect to your own exchange server you in effect have the exact same setup just from different providers and a bit cheaper too.

13. Mardell

48 1
    Ahhh we have wires crossed lol ok so BIS will connect to exchange/isp only if email is collected via pop3, if your email is delivered to your server via SMTP this is where you would use the software (to forward to your blackberry) OR you go the BE route.

I knew i wasn't losing my marbles lol.

14. INDIZINE

INDIZINE Banned

2,321 169
    http://www.openhand-mobile.com/ I have had this recommended to me by a small company with 5 staff using it. £17 a month. They are an agent and have got me a mobile to trial it on as mine isnt compatible, but ive yet to go and collect it, so I dont yet know how useful or efficient it is.

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 By: INDIZINE Member since: Oct 24, 2007
  15. shawnick

44 2
    Open hand was an early version of push email technology. Blackberry kinda won the race and are the preferred provider unless you are looking for signature capture or the like.

16. Speedymail

Speedymail UKBF Newcomer Free Member

156 18

Agreed, im a phone salesman.

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 By: Speedymail Member since: Dec 28, 2007
  17. Mac Yeti

1,172 13
    OK thanks. The one thing about the N95 that we're interested in is the picture and video stuff which we'd use for viral marketing.

Although the email from the blackberry would probably be more useful.

In order of importance this is what we want:

Calls to landlines (UK)
    Calls to mobiles (UK)
    Text messages
    Email
    Photo
    Video

I guess the blackberry pearl wins out, just trying to decide now whether we're better off buying them personal contracts or going with the business option which works out at £20pm more but with a few extras that we might use.

Posted: Jan 3, 2008 By: Mac Yeti Member since: Aug 22, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.