Business mentors

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Laurence Grant, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Laurence Grant

Laurence Grant UKBF Newcomer

24 1
    Can people give me useful suggestions of sites I should go to in order to find a business mentor to guide me through the different stages of business?

Thanks

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 By: Laurence Grant Member since: Mar 6, 2021
  2. Clinton

Clinton Contributor

5,223 2,398
    Why do you need a business "mentor" rather than a consultant (or even a coach / accountant / commercial lawyer who can all give general business advice)?

Is it to get free advice rather than paying for it?

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  3. The Byre

The Byre Full Member
    Contributor

11,546 5,011
    Read 'Starting a Business for Dummies!' by Colin Barrow. It's nearly all in there!

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Laurence Grant

24 1
    I got a business mentor already but he doesn't respond for weeks. I have little money so yes need free regular advice hence why I'm seeking people like that.

5. Laurence Grant

24 1
    I will do.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. The Byre

The Byre Full Member
    Contributor

11,546 5,011
    Posting specific questions here would be a good start.

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  7. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones Contributor

6,351 2,704
    Free business mentors will either be useless or extremely busy

Sometimes they will be both . I did it for a while and stopped because it became obvious that the more I gave for free, the less people valued it

If you want professional, dedicated attentive advice then you need to pay for it

As has been suggested, we'll aimed, concise questions on here will usually get good information and some rubbish.

To throw in my usual caveat 'good advice ' is often the opposite of what you want to hear.

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Clinton

Clinton Contributor

5,223 2,398
    As @The Byre suggests, you can post questions in the forum. However, if that's insufficient and you need some regular (free) hand holding ....maybe you lack the drive and self-motivation to be in business (which involves, by its nature, finding answers and solving problems, not having someone else give you the answers / solve your problems for you).

Have you considered taking a job instead?

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Felixkoch2312

Felixkoch2312 UKBF Newcomer

16 1
    On it

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 By: Felixkoch2312 Member since: Feb 20, 2021
  10. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

6,123 2,271
    Some people are looking for the magic person with all the answers when they may not have it in them themselves

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  11. Mr D

Mr D Contributor

28,532 3,537
    Thats the trouble with a service you aren't paying for.

Its also the trouble with services you do pay for but least then you can end the contract and find someone else.

Seriously, a mentor can be useful for particular challenges - such a positioning yourself to grow to a particular size for example.
    However finding one suitable for you is often the problem - the free ones are busy, the expensive ones need to have the experience you need and be willing to work with you.

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. AstEver

AstEver Contributor

174 52
    @Laurence Grant
    Be careful whom you choose whenever the service is provided by business or person with very low start-up costs and low barriers to entry, for example consultants and marketers. You need to be able to assess them and their services before, during and after the work, because their impact on your business and its future is huge and there are too many 'experts' out there who are great at providing silver bullet solutions that will destroy your business.

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 By: AstEver Member since: Jan 10, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Laurence Grant

24 1
    Thanks, I believe I was just asking for a business mentor.
    Thanks, I believe I was just asking for a business mentor so I could receive advice. People have given me their advice on that which has probably saved me 10x the amount of time as if I had been on my own. It seems easier to ask for advice before going forward than to fall into a hole where you lose all your money, thinking if I had asked that first I could've saved myself the time and moved forward in another direction than backwards in that way.

When you say business involves finding the answer yourself and solving problems, I believe I watched something where Theo Paphitis said most of his business ideas were copied, borrowed or stolen, which suggests he didn't just problem solve and find an answer by himself in that way, instead using other people. I think Duncan Bannatyne also said anybody can become successful in business.

Posted: Mar 21, 2021 By: Laurence Grant Member since: Mar 6, 2021
  14. BigDreamer

BigDreamer UKBF Newcomer

38 7
    Most things you need to know can be found using Google and a bit of reading. We are living in the Golden ages of information.

Just because you copy/borrow/steal a business doesn't mean you wont have to solve any problems. You have to be a bit more proactive, and just watching a couple of episodes of Dragons Den and asking for someone to hold your hand all the way through wont cut it.

Posted: Mar 21, 2021 By: BigDreamer Member since: May 12, 2020
  15. Laurence Grant

24 1
    There's also a lot of rubbish on the internet and it's hard at the beginning to separate what's right from wrong. As I said the original question was just asking for a mentor or some useful sites (read the top). It's others that seem to interpret that as me asking for my hand to be held through everything. I've been on the NBV and The Prince's Trust and they offer business mentors but I've no interest in doing it through their programme.

I don't watch Dragons Den. They weren't on Dragons Den when they were saying it. Yes, I know I have to solve problems. Nobody told me to come to this forum. I found it for myself. Nobody told me how to find the mentor I had. I searched for one by myself. There's quite a lot I've learnt alone. I don't understand what the problem is in asking for advice to guide me towards finding a solution quicker though. Why would anybody be using this site if they weren't using it to find out things from other people to use for their own business? If they can just do it all by themselves they wouldn't be speaking to other people for ideas on here. Apparently nobody in business is successful by themselves and all need help.

16. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

6,123 2,271
    @Laurence Grant The whole point of this site is to help people share ideas and help others
    Reading through your post you may find the help you need on here You may even find a mentor here .
    You have made a valid point that the internet is full of rubbish but we are mostly real people with a lifetime of doing this

Posted: Mar 21, 2021 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Clinton

Clinton Contributor

5,223 2,398
    Right, so asking questions for a forum's collective expertise is too much trouble. You want an expert on tap to answer your questions. And you don't want them to take too long like the last mentor. And you want them to do it for free. And you believe that will guarantee you won't "lose all your money"?

Here's advice from someone who's been in business for nearly 40 years: You'll be better off finding a freaking job!

As much as you flatter yourself that being able to find this forum marks you out as a problem solver, you don't seem to have the get up and go to be in business.

Are you going to take that advice? You could appoint me your mentor first and then take my advice. Would that be easier?

Posted: Mar 21, 2021 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  18. Laurence Grant

24 1
    Thank you pal. When I asked for suggestions about a mentor to guide me that only means to give advice, not tell me what to do in every part of business. From this site it looks like most people are there to be helpful to each other, so the site seems better than having a business mentor to be honest. I think I've got enough good pointers for now.

19. Laurence Grant

24 1
    I love your optimistic hope for me. Keep spreading the love.

20. Mr D

Mr D Contributor

28,532 3,537
    Do not just copy from others. Improve upon it.
    Have copied from hundreds of other businesses. My best idea so far is something you can buy in hundreds of shops for under 20 quid. A minor tweak and focusing on a couple of particular customer groups and it's a decent product to sell to each of them. For higher price.

Do not try reinventing the wheel when others have already done that. Also learn from mistakes others make.
    The forums are very good for that, usually lots of posts by people who have made mistakes and you can try avoiding some of them.

Posted: Mar 21, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017