Business Killed Overnight.

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Its4john, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Its4john

Its4john UKBF Regular Free Member

137 11
    Maybe I am being paranoid.

Business this year has improved greatly, especially from organic clicks. Lately I've been emailing recent customers to ask them if they would leave a review on Google My Business.

We have 15 great reviews but one customer left a 1 star and uploaded to photos showing some damage to a product. She is entitled to do that if thats how she feels even if it was a very rare problem.

I can see her pictures have been viewed over 250 times in the last 10 days, and in the past 3 days we have sold nothing.

Our organic traffic has remained steady so can I assume its because her review is putting off buyers ?

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 By: Its4john Member since: Nov 10, 2017
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,756 1,871
    Can you write to the other previous customers asking for a review? Drown the one neg in another 50 positive?
    Can you respond to her review so that other buyers see the response? If yes then work out what you are going to say. Multiple businesses have replied to negatives with a rant that makes matters far worse. Calm, professional, responsive is what you are looking for. Even if you want to rant.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Its4john

137 11
    Yeah I did reply and it was calm and apologetic.
    I like your idea of drowning it out, I'll try that ;-)

4. ExoPaul

ExoPaul UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 6
    I always like to see when a retailer or app developer responds to a review with an explanation, an apology and an attempt to put things right.

I never like seeing the review poster being criticised, complained about, given sarcastic comments or having that whole "we contacted you on XXX date to resolve it, also on XXX date to resolve it and you said you were going to refuse a replacement...." stuff.

Just something like "We are extremely sorry that you have had a bad experience with us and would like to help resolve your issue. You can contact us directly on (email/phone number) where one of our staff will be happy to look into the problem."

Then try and resolve it if you can, and throw in a small credit on her account as a gesture of goodwill, which seems a lot but quite often I have seen people go back and update their review to reflect on the fact that they are delighted to have got something out of it and were helped out so quickly. That small credit loss, will hopefully be swallowed up by the positive feedback as it brings in new customers

That will show other people that even when something occasionally does go wrong (and it always does), that you have the excellent customer support there to resolve it quickly and even compensate for the hassle.

And don't worry too much about one bad review. Just try and carry on giving the customer the product fast, and respond with respect and politeness as fast as possible when they have an issue and you will soon get loads more 5 star feedback which will offset that one comment. Even the best products in the world get the odd bad rating. The chances that one rating will affect future customers is unlikely. You are probably just having an unusually quiet week and you need to get a couple of positive reviews to know that most recent negative one down the order.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 By: ExoPaul Member since: May 26, 2018
  5. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,050 271
    I suppose it depends on what you would typically sell in 3 days.

If you would normally take 100 orders and have now taken 0 orders, then something is wrong.

If you would normally take 1 order and have taken 0 orders, then you're probably reading into it too much.

You still have a 4.4 star rating with various positive reviews, so I would not immediately be put off by this personally.

Are you sure?

I assume it's the review with the following response:

That doesn't seem very apologetic. As a consumer, if anything put me off about this it would be your response which suggests you're not willing to help the customer in any way (e.g. no offer to email or phone to discuss the problem further).

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  6. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,756 1,871
    Yes, that response could be seen as blaming the customer.
    Probably is customer's fault but could have been worded better.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  7. Its4john

137 11
    Thanks for all of the input.
    I agree the response could have been better :-(

8. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,480 1,045
    Being honest, if your business is that vulnerable that a single bad review can kill it, you really need to work on the business model

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  9. Prime81

Prime81 UKBF Regular Free Member

100 15
    I doubt one bad review can cause so much damage. But your response would put me off a bit. Reading the negative review I know maybe she got a one off duff product or she did something wrong. But your response comes across harsh which makes me think if something went wrong with my order this would be your response to me instead of sorting it out. Are you able to change the reply? Blame on on some 'IT' social media people working for you? I don't know if you can edit these reviews and responses?

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 By: Prime81 Member since: Jan 23, 2018
  10. TickledPink

TickledPink UKBF Contributor Free Member

87 17
    No response or a poorly worded response can be worse than the negative review itself. When dealing with issues like this you need to put yourself into "customer services" mode, even when it seems like the review is completely unfair.

People appreciate a good response to a complaint as much as the positive reviews. How you deal with the problem will tell them how likely you are to deal with any problems that they may have.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 By: TickledPink Member since: Jan 31, 2011
  11. Prime81

Prime81 UKBF Regular Free Member

100 15
    I don't agree. Everyone uses TripAdvisor, amazon and ebay and we all know people who are never happy even with excellent service and great products. We always use TripAdvisor to check out hotels for holidays and there are usually loads of great ones and a few 2 star reviews that you know must be rubbish or bad luck. Doesn't put us off booking it. If the response was "I'm really sorry about your product, please contact me so we an resolves the issue " even if you know the customer is in the wrong it goes a long way to cancelling out the bad review. Other sites allow editing reviews so I don't know if it's possible with Google or not. You can drown it out like other people have said. Just get family and friends to make good reviews if they are happy with your products. They don't have to lie, just say the like and are happy with the materials you use bla bla bla.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 By: Prime81 Member since: Jan 23, 2018
  12. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

3,047 1,096
    Agree generally with the comments above especially @Mark T Jones If a business can be killed by a single bad review, its not a business. I do also agree that you've made matters worse for yourself by doing a terrible job of dealing with the bad review.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  13. prophet01

prophet01 UKBF Contributor Free Member

88 13
    Your dismissive response to what appears a wholly legitimate 1 star review is unbelievably poor and self destructive - Gardenlife chicken run review
    • You fail to acknowledge the clearly poor quality of the supplied product.
    • You fail to apologise for supplying a product clearly not fit for purpose.
    • You fail to accept any responsibility.
    • You blame the customer for the breakage during relocation when your website, under frequently asked questions, clearly states;
    "Q. I’ll start with the most common question we are asked. Once built, can the runs be moved around to fresh grass?
    A. Yes, Any size up to 4m x 4m, two adults can lift it off the ground and walk it to a new position. Any bigger sizes, we would recommend one person at each leg position to pick it up."

You have good reason to be concerned about any negative consequences
    However, it's not the review that's the issue, it's your wholly unempathetic response.

Fortunately for you all is not lost as damage limitation remains an option.

Were I where you are now (but I really wouldn't be as I wouldn't have responded as you) I would amend the review response, taking account of the points made above, and finish with an offer of reparation which, ideally, would put the customer in the position they would have been had you supplied a quality product.

You have an opportunity to demonstrate to prospective customers that when things do go wrong they can be confident of a positive outcome. It's all down to you.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 By: prophet01 Member since: Dec 19, 2012
  14. Calvin Crane

Calvin Crane UKBF Regular Free Member

219 33
    Yes a lazy one line response blaming the customer IMO (I bet knee jerk). Even if there is blame and usually it's a bit of both. In this case if this review is quite clear you may well lose some sales due to it. It shouldn't rust so quickly right?

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 3:24 PM By: Calvin Crane Member since: Jun 8, 2018
  15. prophet01

prophet01 UKBF Contributor Free Member

88 13
    @Its4john
    Perhaps you'd let the above forum members know whether or not you've taken action and, if so, in what way.

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 7:53 PM By: prophet01 Member since: Dec 19, 2012