Business from abroad

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by jkrobs, Dec 1, 2020.

1. jkrobs

jkrobs UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Thank you in advance for any help and advice that anyone may be able to provide.

3 years ago I moved away from the UK to live in Japan with my wife and 2 children.

I have recently become interested in starting an online business selling Japanese dry goods online.

I have a few questions which I would appreciate help with.

I recently heard on the news that the UK government has struck a free trade deal with Japan from January 2021.

Does this mean that if I goods ship from Japan to the customer in the UK, will there no be any import tax?

I've heard stories of people ordering products online, for example from hong kong which are shipped to the UK. but when it reaches the UK, the customer has to pay some tax before they can receive the goods?

What I want to understand is that, when I ship the goods to my customers in the UK, will this happen? or do I have to pay the tax beforehand?

I would appreciate some clarification if at all possible.

Thank you

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 By: jkrobs Member since: Dec 1, 2020
  2. Novevan

Novevan UKBF Regular Full Member

201 47
    Hi welcome to the forum
    We think your customers will pay custom duties
    We have tried many time to send some small package to UK
    All our clients have to paid the custom duties.

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 By: Novevan Member since: May 6, 2014
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,404 3,367
    You would need to check what the deal entails and when it starts from,

UK has no ability to start new trade deals yet. In a month they do - so a number of deals have been put together that start from after the old one (EU) finishes.

What happens currently and what happens in a month may be 2 different things. Or the same thing.
    The devil is in the details.

Even in the UK we don't know yet what exactly the business landscape will be like. Two sides are still dithering.

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017