Business bank account opening that does not require a face to face appointment

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by Kerwin, Aug 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerwin

Kerwin UKBF Regular Free Member

117 11
    I know there is a thread on the first page of this forum asking for business banking recommendations, but my request is a little different. I was wondering if anyone knew who offered the best business banking account that let you open it remotely (i.e. from within your own home).

If it was an online-only business bank account that would suit me perfectly. It would be nice if it had integrations with third-party accounting software as well. I've been looking at Starling Bank, and they seem pretty good from their marketing, but I'm not sure how that stacks up in the real world.

If anyone could help, I would appreciate it. Being able to open a business bank account or not is sort of a deal-breaker for me when it comes to opening a business bank account.

Posted: Aug 22, 2020 By: Kerwin Member since: Dec 1, 2018
  2. mattk

mattk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,297 844
    I opened a business bank account with the same bank I had a personal account with, HSBC. This removed any need to supply personal ID. HSBC had a feed to Xero, no idea about other accounting software.

As for "the best bank", they charge £6.50 a month and do everything I need, so that's good enough in my book.

Posted: Aug 22, 2020 By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  3. Spur Support Services

Spur Support Services UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 8
    Tide.
    No monthly fees.
    Inbuilt sales invoicing functionality
    Inbuilt cost allocation functionality
    Accounting data can then be extracted to excel, via csv if you have no other accounting software.
    Integrates with cloud accounting bank feeds for Xero and others
    No face to face time.
    48 hours to set up.

Posted: Aug 22, 2020 By: Spur Support Services Member since: Aug 21, 2020
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,305 2,949
    Past 20 years every bank account I have set up has been from home.
    Let's see - HSBC, NatWest 3 times, Santander twice, Barclays.
    Most recent one was Barclays about 3 years back.

Posted: Aug 22, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,169 1,764
    The last bank manager I saw looked like captain Manawaring

Posted: Aug 22, 2020 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  6. Kerwin

117 11
    Thanks all. In that case, I'll look through them all and see which has the best reviews. I'm with HSBC and Natwest for personal banking and the HSBC internet, and mobile banking apps aren't bad so I'll start looking there.

Posted: Aug 22, 2020 By: Kerwin Member since: Dec 1, 2018
  7. jimbof

jimbof UKBF Regular Free Member

172 24
    Beware that in a confusing landscape not all that are out there today offering banking services are banks; Tide is one such example, being more of a business financial services plarform. They have a tie-in with Clearbank who actually operate the bank account side of things, but Tide themselves don't have a banking license I believe.

This has been problematic when it came to things like the Bounce Back Loan scheme where they had access to a very small fund to lend which they burnt through in double quick £50k a time.

I've set up an account recently with Starling after Metrobank dropped a ball with their API connectivity to 3rd party services; I could recommend Starling for sure. The application process was a breeze - provided company details, recorded an ID video and took photos of a couple of bits of ID - the application was completed in their app in less than an hour and authorised a few days later - and that was at the height of the new account frenzy a while ago.

App works great, as does the Freeagent integration. Wholeheartedly recommended.

Posted: Aug 22, 2020 By: jimbof Member since: Apr 10, 2020
  8. Kerwin

117 11
    I think I'm actually going to go with Starling Bank after thinking about this for a bit. Doing everything on my mobile phone will really suit my work style and opening a new account is meant to be quite painless.

The only problem is I have lost my passport so it looks like I am going to have to order a replacement before I can actually open an account. That's another £76 down the drain. Can I expense that to the Ltd company since I am only doing it to open a business bank account?

Posted: Aug 29, 2020 By: Kerwin Member since: Dec 1, 2018
  9. NicoJ

NicoJ UKBF Regular Free Member

271 49
    I just set up an account with Starling, I used my driving licence rather than my passport.

To answer the question, no it's not a business expense.

Posted: Aug 29, 2020 By: NicoJ Member since: Mar 27, 2017
  10. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,242 382
    If you have lost your passport then £76 is going to be the least of your pain. Better get it sorted now rather than waiting until you need it and finding it isn't as simple as just paying the fee.

Posted: Aug 29, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  11. jimbof

172 24
    As above, I also used my drivers license. Much easier to photograph.

Posted: Aug 29, 2020 By: jimbof Member since: Apr 10, 2020
  12. Darren_Ssc

1,242 382
    You missed my point but never mind.

Posted: Aug 29, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  13. jimbof

172 24
    The lost passport is going to hold up their application regardless; and if they're in the unlucky position of Gov wanting to interview them it is going on hold until they're holding interviews again, as CV19 has shut that down.

No one's suggesting not bothering sorting out the passport, just that there is other form of ID they could use in the meantime to get on with the application process.

Posted: Aug 29, 2020 By: jimbof Member since: Apr 10, 2020
  14. Kerwin

117 11
    I don't drive so don't have a drivers license. I guess I could order a provisional drivers license though. Good idea. Thank you. It also seems cheaper as well so win-win.

As for needing a passport, I doubt I'll be going abroad any time soon. I just used it as my main form of identification for purposes like this. Hopefully, a provisional drivers license will tide me over until I can get my passport replacement sorted out.

Posted: Aug 29, 2020 By: Kerwin Member since: Dec 1, 2018
  15. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,305 2,949
    And that is why it isn't a business expense.

Posted: Aug 29, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  16. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,306 9,850
    Posted: Aug 29, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  17. Darren_Ssc

1,242 382
    If you lost the last one it didn't

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  18. Bob Morgan

Bob Morgan UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

940 251
    My first Bank Account was with Martins. Mainwaring was the Manager, Wilson was the Chief Cashier, and Pike was on the Counter!

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 By: Bob Morgan Member since: Apr 15, 2018
  19. Bob Morgan

Bob Morgan UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

940 251
    It is DRIVING LICENCE! - The Noun! LICENSE is a Verb! Next, we will getting those asking for 'ADVISE' rather than 'ADVICE!'

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 By: Bob Morgan Member since: Apr 15, 2018
  20. Porky

Porky UKBF Regular Full Member

240 106
    Bad Spellers of the world Untie

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 By: Porky Member since: Dec 27, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.