BT Infinity or EFM leased line?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Viscount, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Posilan

Posilan UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,546 877
    I quite agree that internet connectivity loss can be devastating to a company which relies on it.

What I am disagreeing with though is your statement that a company with 20 PC's is ok, but one with 50 wouldn't. A business that has 1 PC and cannot operate without the internet is just as affected as one with 100.

If the business is 100% reliant on an Internet connection, they should have a contingency plan - be it a second connection, remote workers, leased line, wireless broadband, connectivity SLA guarantee etc - but it has no real bearing on the number of employees if the business cannot operate.

Steve

Posted: Sep 23, 2011 By: Posilan Member since: Dec 20, 2010
  2. Viscount

Viscount UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 1
    I should update this thread a bit.

We've been using a server for 9 months with an Exchange server sending/receiving email, around 50 users browsing the web (youtube, facebook, google earth - you name it!) and we have on average 1-2 people logged in via VPN at any one time. But they are only accessing files atm.
    If that bit changes i.e. we have lots people access VPN similtaneously or we have some database applications remote workers use, then I think the next step is leased line. FTTC isn't availabe at our Exchange (in London too!)

We still have BT's basic Business broadband service (20mbit down/0.5mbit up) and its absolutely fine. We are lucky (touching wood) to have a very solid connection which rarely is down.

BT business Broadband gives you unlimited bandwidth and usage, I don't know about their FTTC product.

For good modems we discovered our netgear and 3com routers were not up to the job and kept on crashing out. We were recommended a Billion router which at first sight looks like the cheapest piece of plastic rubbish. However I've only ever had the router crash once in 9 months, at all other times it seems to go for ever and ever. Good piece of kit - I now recommend Billion routers!

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 By: Viscount Member since: Apr 21, 2008
  3. ji88y

ji88y UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I think the main issue you should be considering would be any fault.

The main issue with 90% of DSL product's is the associated Service Level Agreement to get back up and running, or lack of one.

The recent outage for BT at the Birmingham exchange had users fixed in the following order

Leased lines
    Network Premium users
    Residential
    Business users

So even though they pay more for the service over residential, the lack of SLA shows where you are in the pecking order for fixes.

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: ji88y Member since: Oct 19, 2011
  4. GCI - Lee

GCI - Lee Guest

4 0
    To be honest with the amount of users on the network b/b just wouldn't cut it.

I am happy to price a leased line up for anyone in the market, my company is GCI com and we are a tier 1 provider.

Anyone who needs any help in this area please PM me or call me drectly on 01143 240406.

Thanks

Lee

GCI Com

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    Posted: Dec 15, 2011 By: GCI - Lee Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  5. ccsleedsltd

ccsleedsltd UKBF Contributor Free Member

85 28
    With all due respect Lee, Edge Telecom / gcicom are NOT a Tier one provider, much as BT and Virgin aren't other, contrary to what their marketing guff purports

You are more than likely a Tier 2, much like ourselves, but definately aren't Tier 1.

If you need some further reading on the matter, take a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_network

Posted: Dec 15, 2011 By: ccsleedsltd Member since: Oct 31, 2010
  6. GCI - Lee

GCI - Lee Guest

4 0
    Not to be drawn in, however tier 1 would be own equipment in exchanges, which we indeed have. I appreciate as a reseller this puts you at a disadvantage.

Thanks for your response, new to the board but didn'y expect hostility this quick.

regards

Posted: Dec 15, 2011 By: GCI - Lee Member since: Dec 14, 2011
  7. Posilan

Posilan UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,546 877
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    Posted: Dec 15, 2011 By: Posilan Member since: Dec 20, 2010
  8. paultnl

paultnl UKBF Newcomer Full Member

840 176
    With respect, just having your own equipment in exchanges does not qualify as tier 1. Whilst the exact definition is open to debate, I think this one comes close.

"'Tier One Networks' have their own national transmission network, based on an extensive switch and fibre- optic infrastructure. With a minimum of 10 switching platforms around the UK"

Posted: Dec 15, 2011 By: paultnl Member since: Jan 23, 2009
  9. ccsleedsltd

85 28
    Tier 1 would be no upstream providers and no transit purchased elsewhere, i.e. a worldwie reach with your OWN network, not equipment in ten exchanges, lord knows where that came from.

Edge do not have a worldwide reach on their own network, therefore you aren't a Tier 1.

Simples...

10. Viscount

Viscount UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 1
    Thats depressing. My boss wanted me to get "compensation" for lack of Internet. I laughed (silently) and explained we paid for the most basic and would have to wait. Its only miner inconvience anyway, we have no cloud based IT (Thank God!) so it just affects external email and facebook for the users.

Actually we are considering SIP trunks and leased lines so thats back on the agenda. I guess that requires a new post. Is it worth going through BT for EFM?

Posted: Dec 15, 2011 By: Viscount Member since: Apr 21, 2008
  11. ccsleedsltd

85 28
    It would make sense to me a new post, and you could give other providers a review too - EFM from BT is typically around double the cost of someone like ourselves (and I'm sure others on the board).

12. snoon

snoon UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 1
    Agreed, BT won't be the cheapest. I'll wait for your post to give further advise :)

Shaun

Posted: Dec 15, 2011 By: snoon Member since: Jun 4, 2010
  13. devdefence

devdefence UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    We use a bonded FTTC (bonded Infinity) product from Evolving Networks. We've been with them for a few years now, and originally had a bonded ADSL and SDSL connection, but now that's been upgraded to bonded FTTC.
    If you google Evolving Networks or bonded infinity you should fine them.
    I would thoroughly recommend them to anyone, as it's completely unlimited, and we very much need the extra upload capacity that it gives, as well as not having to worry about load balancing or managing the connection ourselves.

Posted: Oct 1, 2012 By: devdefence Member since: Oct 1, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.