British Public Couldn’t Give A F*** About Swearing

Discussion in 'Press Releases' started by 10 Yetis, Jan 16, 2009.

1. 10 Yetis

10 Yetis UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,383 144
    A nationwide survey has found that more than nine tenths of Brits are unfazed by swearing, with 87% confessing to swearing on a daily basis. The nation’s favourite top 10 favourite swearwords are detailed below.

Despite being a nation typically viewed as conservative in nature, a recent survey of 2,319 people has found that just 8% of Brits are offended by swearing in an adult context.

The average Brit swears 14 times a day, according to the research by the Australian company behind the recently launched Start Ya ******* engine starter, www.Nulon-uk.com. When asked “Are you offended by swearing in an adult context (e.g. movies intended for adults, in a child-free workplace etc)?” 92% of people answered ‘no’.

There was a clear correlation between age and personal feelings regarding swearing, with 94% of people between the ages of 18-30 agreeing that ‘bad language’ is not an issue, whilst just 79% of people aged 50-60 agreed.

Men are more potty-mouthed than women, with 90% of men blurting expletives on a daily basis compared to 83% of females.

78% of people admitted to swearing regularly for no reason, whilst most participants, 98%%, admitted to having swore whilst angry at some point in the past.

When asked “Have you used any of the following words in the past week?” the top 5 most-used swearwords were as follows:

1.Sh*t – 90% (of people have used in the past week)
    2.Fu*k – 88%
    3.******* – 86%
    4.Tw*t – 83%
    5.Bo**ocks – 81%

William Findlay said,

“This survey clearly shows that British people accept that swearing is a fact of life in today’s society, appropriate in adult circumstances.

“The fact that nearly every one of the 2,319 people polled have sworn whilst angry shows that British attitudes towards conservatism in public are way off beliefs commonly held by other countries, and akin to the more relaxed attitude in the birthplace of Start Ya ******* engine starter, Australia.”

LINK – www.nulon-uk.com and www.startyabastard.com

[FONT=&quot]ENDS[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For further information, or to arrange for samples to be sent to your offices, please get in touch on 01452 348 211 or with [/FONT][FONT=&quot][email protected][/FONT][FONT=&quot], 10 Yetis Public Relations Agency[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]EDITORS NOTES[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Start Ya ******* retails for £4.99 in all good retail and trade outlets[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]’Start Ya Bastard’ promotes easy starting of all diesel and petrol engines (both 2 and 4 stroke). Nulon's SYB high potency, highly concentrated, highly flammable formulation is designed to instantly fire-up difficult-to-start engines.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Nulon Ltd is a family owned business based in Sydney, Australia[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Nulon have over 70 high performance vehicle products on the market to both trade and retail consumers[/FONT]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
    Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: 10 Yetis Member since: Nov 3, 2004
  2. DuaneJackson

DuaneJackson UKBF Legend Full Member

9,523 1,118
    Sterling work Yetis. Not often I read out a press release (that isn't ours) to the whole office!

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: DuaneJackson Member since: Jul 14, 2005
  3. openmind

openmind UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,755 867
    Good stuff although personally I don't give a **** ;)

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: openmind Member since: Sep 6, 2005
  4. askm

askm UKBF Newcomer Free Member

38 5
    I buck the trend then - I don't swear except for the occasional b***er when I'm really cross - and I'm 31.

And I don't like to hear people swearing either.

I must be narrow minded :)

M

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: askm Member since: Jan 12, 2009
  5. DuaneJackson

9,523 1,118
    It's all ******** anyway, Phil. No doubt someone that runs a directory site will be having a good moan about this threads shortly. But he can **** off.

6. openmind

openmind UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,755 867
    I must admit I only really swear to myself, in fact I'm amazed my entire head hasn't turned blue...

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: openmind Member since: Sep 6, 2005
  7. debbidoo

debbidoo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,800 569
    I swear like a trooper, I'm terrible for it. Don't see what the fuss is all about... it's only words :)

(careful not to do it in front of clients though!)

Great press release Andy, as always :) Let us know how it goes :)

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: debbidoo Member since: Apr 10, 2008
  8. 10 Yetis

2,383 144
    Cheers all, this story is going quite well at the min, even got the Torygraph (no really)

9. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,877 3,456
    T*rygraph, surely?

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  10. An Oasis

An Oasis UKBF Newcomer Full Member

9,899 1,683
    I know most of these however #3 has really got me worried that my heducation is partially lacking!

3.******* - 86%

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: An Oasis Member since: Oct 3, 2006
  11. 10 Yetis

2,383 144
    Sp*t on as ever Dawg

12. 10 Yetis

2,383 144
    I cannot work it out either :)

13. DuaneJackson

9,523 1,118
    Bar stewards? : )

14. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,445 3,069
    Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  15. Kazzy

Kazzy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

264 94
    Hee hee, interesting thread ;) I never used to swear, but I do now - mainly when I am angry though, I don't feel the need to swear all the time :p

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: Kazzy Member since: Jan 9, 2009
  16. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,501 598
    Read this again and I think you will see you are aware that there is a problem with it.

I do swear though I disapprove, especially around kids. I often make up my own as well like a Rowan Atkinson sketch. Tosspants is a favourite.

My Mum used to say, "Sh*t," and then when the next thing went wrong she'd say, "Ah, two sh*ts," but then she was Irish, so Jesus, Mary and Joseph featured highly too.

I'm amazed the survey showed many people didn't mind, I would have thought people would not like swearing.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  17. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,445 3,069
    If you take any notice at all of a survey cleverly structured to generate PR for a product launch, you're bigger ******g t*** **t that I b*****d thought you f****** are :)

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  18. 10 Yetis

2,383 144
    F*CKING Outraged! I imagine the office of national statistics will be beating down our door very soon for an update!

19. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14,849 2,100
    Then that makes two of us!

A few years ago, I was on a flight from Heathrow to New Delhi. The two Brits sitting beside me were getting themselves rather drunk. Rather than talking, they began to start shouting. After a while, their language became atrocious. I could see that other passengers were getting annoyed, but no one said anything. But I'm not one to sit quiet in such situations, so I confronted them. They became quite aggressive (because of the drink), and a flight attendant had to sort them out. For the rest of the journey, I had to put up with two drunkards insisting on speaking within an inch of my ear, pretending I was their best buddy.

The point I'm making, I suppose, is that we like to think we are tolerant - and we British are a tolerant lot. When it comes to it, though, we also have a strong sense of decency and fair play. No matter what we may say in a survey, we do take umbrage about what people say and the way they say it. Just like the two old ladies in Fawlty Towers, though, we often pretend everything's OK when really it's not. I wonder how much this factors into it.

On the other hand, I used to work with a colleague who simply could not stop swearing. He'd be effing and blinding in every sentence; it was just his way. Everyone knew this, and no one took offense. So, it's not just what is said but the context in which it is said.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  20. Simon-M

Simon-M UKBF Ace Free Member

2,826 642
    I did 6 years in the Royal Navy and found it pretty tough when I came out to móderate my language. Before I joined up I rarely swore. Thank f*ck I'm back to normal now.

Simon

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: Simon-M Member since: Nov 16, 2007