Britain's fastest supercomputer unveiled

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by vineetthomas, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vineetthomas

vineetthomas UKBF Newcomer

25 3
    LONDON (Reuters) - A supercomputer that could help answer some of science's biggest questions will be unveiled on Monday.
    With the power of 12,000 desktop PCs, the mammoth machine called HECToR is the country's fastest computer and one of the most powerful in Europe.
    It can make 63 million calculations each second, allowing scientists to conduct research into everything from climate change to new medicines.
    The purpose-built machine is housed in 60 wardrobe-sized cabinets in the University of Edinburgh's advanced computing centre near the Scottish capital.
    After years of development, Chancellor Alistair Darling is due to attend the official launch ceremony for the 113 million pound machine.
    "HECToR will enable us to do research that we simply could not do in any other way," said Jane Nicholson, of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, the public body which acts as the project's managing agent.
    "We want to push forward the boundaries of knowledge."
    Researchers will tap into its power to study ocean currents, build tiny parts for advanced computers and make warplanes less visible to radar.
    Other projects include research into superconductors, combustion engines and new materials.
    Scientists working in fields ranging from cosmology and atomic physics to disaster simulation and healthcare will also use the computer.
    HECToR, which stands for High-End Computing Terascale Resource, was made the U.S. manufacturer Cray Inc.
    Despite its vast power, it falls some way short of the world's biggest computer: Blue Gene/L.
    Housed at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California, it is used to study nuclear weapons without the need for underground testing.

Simply wow. . . How much will it be worth ?:eek:

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 By: vineetthomas Member since: Nov 13, 2007
  2. vineetthomas

25 3
    113 million pound machine.

3. RayB

RayB Banned

6,356 242
    And here is the Governments new Treasury Super Computer to beat them all:

[​IMG]

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 By: RayB Member since: Nov 12, 2006
  4. ken_uk

ken_uk UKBF Legend

2,149 240
    That super computer will probably be on ebay for a few thousand in 30 or 40 years...

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 By: ken_uk Member since: Jul 27, 2007
  5. stugster

stugster UKBF Legend

9,065 2,068
    As I live in Edinburgh, I only feel it right that I take full credit for the machine :)

Ray: It's now multi-coloured, because the dull grey one got lost...

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  6. vineetthomas

25 3
    how much is it worth ray ?

7. Comspec

Comspec UKBF Legend

7,077 1,468
    I want one (of the OP's, not Ray's)

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 By: Comspec Member since: May 8, 2006
  8. RayB

RayB Banned

6,356 242
    Well, it cost the Government £3 billion in talking shops and quangos' to perfect the design over a 4 year period.

Then it was built in a union stronghold factory for another billion

Then the Chinese copied it in about 5 minutes - it goes on sale in Woolworths next week for 99p

:D:D

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 By: RayB Member since: Nov 12, 2006
  9. vineetthomas

25 3
    oh very expensive can't have one. lol

10. martynb

martynb UKBF Newcomer

54 5
    Ha ha so true

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 By: martynb Member since: Dec 5, 2007
  11. outsidethebox

outsidethebox UKBF Newcomer

45 2
    Why didnt they just buy 12,000 desktop pc's? At £500 a go thats only £6 million. I have just saved the government £107 million.

All in a days work.

:cool:

Posted: Jan 15, 2008 By: outsidethebox Member since: Oct 1, 2007
  12. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend

12,604 4,527
    Bet it can't make a decent cuppa!!
    ;)

Posted: Jan 15, 2008 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  13. stopecg

stopecg UKBF Newcomer

10 0
    60 Wardrobe sized Cabinets
    Ahh, I remember as a kiddie being shown Oxford City Councils new pooter which was in cabinets like that, it dit everything my PC does now + a little bit less!

Those of you who want one, be patient, it will be sitting on your desktop in a few years time :)

Posted: Jan 15, 2008 By: stopecg Member since: Jan 15, 2008
  14. SenditOver

SenditOver UKBF Contributor

201 16
    problem is, hacker botnets have manytimes more processing power than that and most of the super computers in the world put together.

thats whey govement codes get cracked so easily by them, and they have to keep inventing newer and more complicated methods of encryption.

big business for the underworld, and i wouldent wanna step on their toes.. *shudder*

Posted: Jan 15, 2008 By: SenditOver Member since: Dec 3, 2007
  15. compuclean

compuclean UKBF Regular

1,315 58
    Imagine all the fans needed to keep that machine cool! Sucking in nice cool air... and dust particles... dirt... wonder how long it is before they give me a ring....

Posted: Jan 16, 2008 By: compuclean Member since: Jan 2, 2006
  16. CG Effect

CG Effect UKBF Newcomer

551 2
    It will be slower than the Playstation 4 in about four years. They should wait four years and spend £1000 on the latest 16 core PC.

Posted: Jan 16, 2008 By: CG Effect Member since: May 28, 2005
  17. vineetthomas

25 3
    Imagine all the fans needed to keep that machine cool! Sucking in nice cool air... and dust particles... dirt... wonder how long it is before they give me a ring....

I hope they are reading it will call you soon lol

Posted: Jan 16, 2008 By: vineetthomas Member since: Nov 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.