Brexit negotiations

Discussion in 'Time Out' started by Scott-Copywriter, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

17,247 1,933
    I'm looking at getting some lettuce done for harvesting early April. Purely for business.
    And seeing what needs to be done to get some tea plants going.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  2. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

3,891 876
    We have a government who believe that we can be a Global Power on our own. Do they ever look in the mirror and think that they really are incompetent?

In Greece, the media was in rare agreement that the UK was in uncharted waters. “There is astonishment that a democracy as old as Britain has got itself into such a dead end,” commentator Pantelis Kapsis said. “It’s the sort of mess Greece would get itself into.”

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  3. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,706 720
    Judging by how pale May looked during today's humiliation I suspect she did quite a lot of mirror gazing last night.

May is a leading actor in this choreographed dance to lead the populous up the no-Brexit path, but if I am wrong about that and she genuinely wants her agreement accepted then I feel for her - no-one deserves be put to the sword over and over again like she has no matter what your political affiliations.

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  4. atmosbob

3,891 876
    I'm not so sure. She has been repeating her version of Brexit for years and whatever she says was not on the voting paper. She is a long term hater of European migrants from her days as Home Secretary and sees Brexit as a means of vindicating herself. What the tories are actually doing is allowing Farage and his billionaire buddies to run the country.

5. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,885 2,628
    Shame she didn't conclude that she should resign.

I just wish that the tory party would find a way to put the wretched woman out of her misery.

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  6. Mr D

17,247 1,933
    So we'd end up with Boris, Jacob, Michael, Andrea or whoever else could be in the running.
    Any of those you would prefer as PM?

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  7. KM-Tiger

9,885 2,628
    I don't know if the party constitution allows, but the sensible thing would be a temporary leader/PM to see through Brexit. David Davis is the obvious choice for that.

Then after Brexit have a proper leadership campaign and election, for which there are many possibilities.

8. atmosbob

3,891 876
    quote..... As for Davis, we’ll play out with an interview the former Brexit secretary gave a German magazine last weekend, in which he handpicked two mindboggling examples of situations in which Britain was Definitely Not Wrong. “Oh, I’m certain that Brexit will be a success,” Davis breezed. “Remember, every single major issue in our history is one where you might be right or wrong. Appeasement before the second world war, we might be right or wrong. Suez, we might be right or wrong.”

I suppose after the stubborn donkey we might as well try the lazy dunce.

9. Mr D

17,247 1,933
    Proper leadership campaign in the conservatives requires multiple candidates to stand, MPs do votes to narrow it down to two and then the party members do a postal vote on those two as to who becomes party leader.

And currently PM.

Not that it changes anything - we are still leaving on the relevant day. Deal agreed has been rejected by parliament.
    Have to be a complete idiot to take on PM job - say hello Boris.

10. Blaby Loyal

Blaby Loyal UKBF Ace Full Member

1,016 193
    PMSL - that bloke is a grade A knobhead.

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 By: Blaby Loyal Member since: Jun 12, 2018
  11. Mr D

17,247 1,933
    Agreed - but popular with the members.
    And very popular with Russell Howard (a comedian).

12. KM-Tiger

9,885 2,628
    He certainly had the ability to reach beyond tory party members. Otherwise how would he have got 2 terms as mayor of a predominantly left wing city?

13. Mr D

17,247 1,933
    Just out of interest, what do we have a mayor for?
    Keep them out of the way of the real world?

To get stuff done - based on the mayors that the public has voted for in the past I'm not sure the ones most capable get a chance.
    Stick a contestant from a dancing TV competition into the mayoral race in London one year - just to mess things up. Cannot exactly harm. :)

14. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,595 1,084
    Anyone running for PM now will know they are in the last chance saloon, with no realistic chance of a second term

Personally I think TM is making a reasonable fist of a near impossible job. However perhaps a jovial, intelligent buffoon will strike a better note?

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  15. atmosbob

3,891 876
    Posted: Jan 17, 2019 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  16. KM-Tiger

9,885 2,628
    Hero? He should have unseated some time ago.

Meanwhile in other news the EU is to impose tariffs on imports of rice from Cambodia and Myanmar, as their rice is too cheap.

Hopefully we will be out of the protection racket soon. We can then help poor farmers in those countries by buying their produce, and also have cheaper food ourselves. Win! Win! that the unelected EU bureaucrats will not allow.

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  17. atmosbob

3,891 876
    Nothing to do with human rights abuses then? No mention that the rice was also cheap because the EU were subsidising it.

Rice is grown in the EU. Would you be willing to allow imports of food, which is grown in the UK, making British farmers suffer? Would you be willing to allow tariff free imports from countries where the food is grown under regimes with bad human rights?

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  18. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,706 720
    Not on the voting paper?

It does make me laugh when you remainers bang on about wanting the great unwashed to decide on the outcome of 2 years of complex negotiation the results of which run for 100s of pages of mostly legalese, particularly when you claim all leave voters are illiterate old racist and Northern :D

It is a transparent attempt to overturn the result of the peoples vote in 2016, nothing more nothing less.

The vast majority of planning for a no deal Brexit is complete. Planes will not fly backwards, roses will still flower and bumble bees will still make the same buzzing sound!

Although if you believe the left wing press they'd dispute all of the above :)

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  19. Mr D

17,247 1,933
    Yes, the ballot was about leaving the EU. The past 2 years negotiations and recent parliament decision has been about leaving the EU. We are still, at this point, leaving the EU.

Seems like she is fulfilling the vote. Much to the annoyance of atmosbob and a few others.

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  20. Mr D

17,247 1,933
    Lots of British rice farmers are there?

I don't think people are going to care too much about the conditions inside another country when deciding what to buy at the supermarket. Those who do care could demand we send in the armed forces and forcibly change those governments abusing their people but realistically little else can work.
    Look at north korea, major population abuses for decades and no one wants to carry on the war to resolve the problems. Something about Washington, London etc going up in flames.

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017