Brexit & Amazon FBA - heads up

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Pish_Pash, Aug 26, 2020.

1. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

10,174 1,995
    I, as a an Amazon customer, want Amazon to get rid of as many of these small mom and pop operations as possible.

There is a reason I use Amazon, the trust factor and service.

I don't get this from the marketplace businesses as Amazon let too many in and don't vet them enough in my opinion.

I tend to only buy from Prime or fulfilled by Amazon (even if it costs more)

The more mom and pop businesses Amazon allows in there the worse Amazon services gets (in my opinion)

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,443 2,970
    Businesses can use amazon as much as amazon uses businesses.
    Amazon can be exploited. You know they are going to exploit the data you give them - they'd be fools not to.
    Strangely lots of fools only do info exchange one way - towards amazon.

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Mr D

24,443 2,970

And with quick delivery too. Could order something this afternoon and a good chance it would be delivered tomorrow morning.
    The mom and pop businesses - like my own non amazon one - would not even start sending goods out until Tuesday.

Delivery Monday versus delivery Wednesday....

Just looking at some new shoes on amazon at the moment. Delivery later this week maybe on a couple of the types I use.

4. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,256 4,252
    If memory serves me rightly, she broke an arm and the newspaper said that somebody ought to do something about whatever it was that they ought to do something about. (Though, now that you've raised the 'dog-motif', perhaps that should be a fetlock - or whatever it is that dogs have.)

I used to have connections with Alaska and there, it's all happening. Murders, plane crashes, riots, robberies galore - you name it and it's happening. The same goes for Germany. Hardly a day goes by without my former home town telling me that someone murdered someone else and that all kinds of criminal malfeasances are being perpetrated.

Meanwhile, The Inverness Courier reported over a thousand words on the conviction of a funeral director called Andrew Something-or-Other who invited the lady selling ad-space in Yellow Pages into his parlour and then excused himself for a few minutes "only to return wearing nothing but a plastic mini-kilt and carrying a whip. He handed the whip to the lady from Yellow Pages, bent over, lifted the kilt and told her 'Beat me, Mrs Robertson! I've been a naughty boy!'"

The Anchorage Daily News would have missed a juicy story like that!

When in doubt, use eBay and run your own shop parallel to that and Amazon if you feel so inclined. If a business makes the name of the eBay shop the same as their own business, people can and do find that business website and order direct. Just to rely on one gatekeeper is to invoke that stuff about eggs and baskets.

In matters of business, I have always tried my best to follow that sage advice of PG Wodehouse. In 'Without the Option' he describes meeting Sir Roderick Glossop. "It is a nasty experience to see this bald and bushy bloke advancing on you when you haven't prepared the strategic railways in your rear."

View alternatives to Amazon as those strategic railways. They may look less than attractive right now, but think about acorns!

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  5. UKSBD

10,174 1,995
    Yes, and the more in there, the worse Amazon becomes.
    I doubt I would use Amazon half as much if it didn't have the option to only search for products in Prime

6. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,487 645
    Which a lot of the time will be from a Mom & Pop operations like me (Prime & FBA = Amazon themselves are the seller ...OR the sellers may be Mom + Popsters)....you shouldn't even have to deal with the actual seller (want to return your item? raise a return request within your Amazon account - you don't to get authorised by the seller, etc) ... I don't know why you've a downer on Mom & Pop outfits.

Re hopping into bed with Amazon...yes...on the one hand not a great idea (but on the other, it's certainly provided me with a chunky income for 8yrs now), but if you approach it as 'make hay while the sun shines' & can reckon on it ending in a heartbeat, then where's the problem?

FWIW, I also sell via Ebay, & my own website...plus I also supply Amazon UK Retail themselves for them to sell my products (indeed I need to sell on Amazon using FBA mainly to keep Amazon Retail's own selling prices in check...let them have a monopoly & they take the proverbial with respect to setting their own retail price on a product) ..,.so I've a bit of diversity going on

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Posted: Aug 30, 2020 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  7. UKSBD

10,174 1,995
    I've nothing against the mom and pops if they provide exactly the same service as Amazon itself.

8. Pish_Pash

2,487 645

that's my point.... when a Seller uses the Fulfilled by Amazon (FBA) option, to all intents & purposes, the buyer will get the same overall service as if buying from Amazon themselves (as it is Amazon that will be handling payment/picking/packing/shipping/customer services/returns)

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  9. UKSBD

10,174 1,995
    And that's my point too.
    The ones who do that I will buy from, the ones who don't have less chance of me buying from them.

Nothing really to do whether they are a mom and pop or an established Ltd business, I just prefer the security and trust provided by Amazon

10. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,256 4,252
    I avoid Amazon. Prices are too high, the service is unreliable and delivery is too slow.

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  11. Mr D

24,443 2,970
    Wow, that despite some sellers trying to undercut other sellers - Amazon being the worst culprit - and delivery including Sunday and bank holiday.

Some stuff I am selling Amazon also sells - mine is priced at 7.99 and theirs is 4.99 - and I have almost sold out.
    But I cannot deliver until probably Friday. Amazon maybe tomorrow morning or even as late as Tuesday.

12. Jeff FV

Jeff FV UKBF Big Shot Staff Member

3,699 1,762
    That is at variance to my experience.

Take today, for example. My kitchen tap is dripping, so I removed the cartridge to replace it.

Unfortunately, though, on removal I discovered this tap uses a cartridge with a 28 teeth spindle, not the standard 20 tooth spindle.

Tried my local screwfix & B&Q with no success, so turned to google.

Found several suppliers, the cheapest was Amazon (all identical part), and they will deliver tomorrow (a Bank Holiday). (I do have Prime)

So cheapest & quickest is Amazon. This is not untypical in my experience.

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 By: Jeff FV Member since: Jan 10, 2009
  13. UKSBD

10,174 1,995
    I can't remember the last time I had a bad experience with Amazon or had to wait more than 3 days for a delivery.

14. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Regular Free Member

1,739 556
    A lot of the stuff I've ordered has been delivered same day by 10pm.

Sometimes Amazon is not always the cheapest but with Prime its never been more than a days wait.

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  15. samuel5

samuel5 UKBF Regular Full Member

273 19
    We have never had to ever refund VAT on a FBA order and we do around 800 orders a day.
    Even if they asked we would tell them to contact Amazon as we would not refund it once the sale was done.
    And for customers requesting VAT invoice copies, just get a standard reply template giving them the instructions how to download it from their orders page.

We use the accounts module from Orderwise that is just an add on to our current Order and Warehouse Management System also provided by Orderwise.
    We used to use Sage but it could not handle the amount of transactions we had.
    And now we don’t have to have two different software packages talking to each other.

For your Brexit FBA concerns, I thought you supplied Amazon directly so it should not be much hassle for you?

Posted: Aug 31, 2020 By: samuel5 Member since: Apr 25, 2010
  16. Pish_Pash

2,487 645
    You're the seller...that's not the correct response. Amazon would refer them back to you...and now you've got a miffed customer on your hands.

That wouldn't work for "Can you change the shipping address on the invoice?", "can you add this", "can you alter that") ....from my own experience, EU customers seem to spend most of their day obsessing over invoice detail (Italians don't do any work at all, they just attend to excessive documentation for their government ...seemingly relating to VAT & tariff codes!!)

I have no control over where they send the stock I give them...so conceivably, post Brexit, Amazon Uk could be ordering from me, but then just sending to their UK fulfilment centres (leaving EU customers without any way of purchasing).

Also, if I don't use FBA to compete against them, they crank their prices up, so in actual fact I need to use FBA mainly to reign them in price wise.

Posted: Aug 31, 2020 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  17. Mr D

24,443 2,970
    With my FBA sales I get occasional people demanding a VAT refund as they aren't in the EU or because they are a VAT registered business elsewhere in EU.
    As I'm not VAT registered I tell them that - still get the non business people wanting a partial refund occasionally.
    Usually I then refer them to amazon who refer them back to me and the problem goes away.

Never had amazon refund out of my funds for VAT that wasn't collected. :)

Posted: Aug 31, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  18. samuel5

samuel5 UKBF Regular Full Member

273 19
    Once the sale is done the invoice can not be altered, that’s our policy anyway. I’m not even sure it’s legal to amend an invoice shipping address to a different one to where the goods were sent to.

if they need vat refunded or adjustments made to the invoice they can send the order back for a full refund and reorder it the correct way.
    This is how all the large streamlined companies do it so no reason why you can’t.

Posted: Sep 1, 2020 By: samuel5 Member since: Apr 25, 2010
  19. Mr D

24,443 2,970
    I am guessing you have not had expensive heavy items returned from overseas?

Between insurance and postage that has to be paid by the seller - can get quite expensive to have returns for minor issues.

Large streamlined companies may be able to afford stuff a lot easier than a small business can.

Posted: Sep 2, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017