Breach of DP?

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Anonymous_C, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Anonymous_C

Anonymous_C UKBF Newcomer

2 0
    Hello All

I hope I am in the right place for this kind of advice.

Whilst on annual leave my line manager made me aware that our MD had accessed my HR file. This was recently after updating my address.

Apparently he searched my address on Google street view to see where I lived and discussed that he had done it with my Line manager.

In my opinion, this is blatant misuse of my personal data held with the company.

Where do I stand as I am pretty annoyed?

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 By: Anonymous_C Member since: Jun 3, 2021
  2. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Legend

2,278 573
    Would not the first port of call be to have a meeting with your line manager and ask why the MD had done this ie; could he have had a legitimate reason like checking the address you gave was real?
    How long have you worked there.

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  3. Anonymous_C

Anonymous_C UKBF Newcomer

2 0
    I have discussed this with my line manager and he said it's common for him to snoop on things like this including peoples Facebook profiles. I have worked at the company for over a year and have a clean record in terms of employment here.

I mean there is other ways to check addresses (e.g. Royal Mail postcode checker)

Personally it doesn't sit right with me.

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 By: Anonymous_C Member since: Jun 3, 2021
  4. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

15,826 6,855
    What does your employment contract state?

My guess is he could argue legitimate interest as he wanted to ensure the address was genuine and also a few other reasons. However it's wrong, but proving the reason is nigh on impossible.

However, your manager also broke DP by telling you he does it all the time :D

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  5. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Legend

2,278 573
    What data can I process without my employee’s permission?
    You can collect:
    • Name, date of birth and National Insurance number to identify employees for background checks or when recording taxes
    • Address
    • Bank account details to pay them
    • Terms and conditions of employment like salary, leave, benefits and hours
    • Gender to monitor and ensure the equality of jobs offered to each sex
    • Education and qualifications in case an unsuccessful applicant files a discrimination claim for example
    • Accidents at work for your records and in case someone makes a claim against the company
    • Any disciplinary action they've been involved in as evidence in case the employee takes the case to court
    • Emergency contact details
    • Any training that has occurred during employment
    It is also not uncommon for employers to check social media accounts, hence the need to be very careful about what you are posting for all to see, especially if you’re rubbishing the company. Many employers will have checked you out on social media before you even got to the interview stage. If you really feel that aggrieved about it, you could always make a formal complaint to your HR department. However, a word of caution your line manger maybe saying one thing whilst your HR and MD could be saying something quite different.

There are people here on line with far greater HR knowledge than myself who may well give you a far better view on the way to go

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Legend

2,278 573
    As above your line manager could well have dropped himself right in the firing line

7. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Legend

16,065 4,535
    I can understand your annoyance.

Why on earth would (1) your MD have told your line manager and (2) your line manager have told you?

What do you want to happen about this?

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Fagin2021

Fagin2021 Full Member

409 252
    I take a different - and probably unpopular, view.

Your address is known to a host of people, inside and outside of work - any one of whom could use Street View to see where you live.

Unless you hang embarrassing underwear outside to dry, what does it matter ? Ignore it. Move on. You've learned more about your MD than he has about you.

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 By: Fagin2021 Member since: Jan 27, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  9. Lucan Unlordly

Lucan Unlordly UKBF Legend

2,479 483
    I tend to agree.

Although not staff, I once looked up the house and business address of a supposed millionaire customer who wanted an introduction to a business associate. The 2 bed run down bungalow wasn't quite the country pile spoken of and a bullet was dodged.

Posted: Jun 4, 2021 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend

28,576 3,551
    Its not always easy to see.

Round my area is a little old lady, lives in a small bungalow and walks her dog a few times a day.
    In her 80s, living alone apart from her dog. She owns about 20 odd properties, by any measure she is a multi millionaire.
    Her husband was a landlord for a bunch of people, he of course left her all the properties and she's added a few herself over the years.

She doesn't need to live in a big house, doesn't need the hassle of upkeep on a big house.

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Lucan Unlordly

2,479 483
    True, not definitive by any means but I'd argue that most people with money live accordingly.
    The designer suit wearing top of the range Mercedes driving guy in question was a double bankrupt as was his missus and got done for benefits fraud a couple of years later.

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  12. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend

28,576 3,551
    Or at the least high income / high debt lifestyle.
    Never been a fan of that myself.

13. ctrlbrk

ctrlbrk UKBF Enthusiast

245 60
    Tell that to Warren Buffet!

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 By: ctrlbrk Member since: May 13, 2021
  14. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend

28,576 3,551
    He apparently lives like he has money. He doesn't live like he's out to waste his money.
    Presumably not having to think 'I can't afford that corned beef' at the supermarket and going for spam instead.

15. ctrlbrk

ctrlbrk UKBF Enthusiast

245 60
    I wouldn't define living in the same house he bought in 1958 as living like he has money.

16. Alyson Dyer

Alyson Dyer UKBF Enthusiast

249 94
    I believe the Queen lives in the same gaffs as sh did in 1958. I doubt you will find many people to extrapolate that fact into an opinion she is about to lose the shirt ff her back!!

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 By: Alyson Dyer Member since: Oct 27, 2011
  17. ctrlbrk

ctrlbrk UKBF Enthusiast

245 60
    Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I'd second what Cyndy says here

18. tan_lan

tan_lan UKBF Regular

284 45
    The OP has no problems in life if they are upset by someone typing the postcode into street view. What a nice situation to be in. o_O

Legally, the OP gave the employer the post code, the employer is entitled to validate if data you gave is valid.

Sharing that data with an outside party would be a DP issue.

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 By: tan_lan Member since: Oct 7, 2014
  19. Lucan Unlordly

2,479 483
    I could, or the 95% reckoned to blow their money when they get it ;)

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend

28,576 3,551
    He apparently likes the house. Why should he move to satisfy someone else's idea of spending money?
    He can buy what he wants and he does so. Not what other people want.

How exactly is he different than most other people who have money?