Boxby Wins at SIE Business Plan Competition

Discussion in 'Press Releases' started by KidsBeeHappy, Mar 16, 2008.

1. KidsBeeHappy

KidsBeeHappy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7,350 1,580
    A new and innovative company has just scooped the Runners Up prize in the prestigious Scottish Institute of Enterprise Business Plan Competition, winning a marvelous £9,000 prize of start up capital and professional services.

Sandra & Alistair Patterson's business plan is for their new business, Boxby, which is a complete delivery solution website, organizing deliveries for everything from Parcels to Sofas, around the UK, and beyond.

"The idea for Boxby came out of an existing business we had, we were delivering antique furniture for customers, and one day we realized that there were hundreds of courier & delivery companies doing exactly the same thing, all trying to find customers across the whole country, and many driving around with half empty vans." said Sandra Patterson

"Boxby is about helping those Couriers and Delivery companies to find the extra jobs to keep their vans full. They way this is done on our website means that the customer gets the best price possible, and also it gives them a choice about which courier or delivery company they use."

The business plan competition lasted several months, and the final stage involved a business pitch "dragons den" style to a panel of judges. "This was the most nerve racking part of the competition," said Alistair, "but we had to just bury our nerves and get on with it. It was a really challenging experience."

The Judges panel thought that the talk was excellent and described a business with proven and growing potential. This team was the winner in the undergraduate stream and came second overall in a very tight competition.

"The competition was a very good thing for us to do", says Sandra, "as although Boxby is trading and growing fast, SIE provided advisors and feedback that we have found invaluable".

SIE run the Business Plan competition annually, and previous winners of the competition include This is Red Button, who went on to win other international awards, as well as successfully securing funding from BBC Dragons Den.

Notes to Editors
    · Boxby lets customers get delivery quotes from up to 700 courier companies via one online form.
    · Boxby's website can be viewed at www.boxby.co.uk
    · For further information contact Sandra Patterson at [email protected] or 01465 715444
    · The Scottish Institute for Enterprise's annual business plan competition is sponsored by Enterprise Rent a Car, who put up a prize fund of £50,000.
    · The competition is open to all undergraduates, and post graduates of Scottish Universities, and involves a local competition at each of the universities, three entrants from each institution are then put forward to the national competition.

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 By: KidsBeeHappy Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  2. stugster

stugster UKBF Legend Free Member

9,348 2,080
    Yay! Well done Sandra :D:D:D:D

Congratulations! :D

I know its not 1st, but Runners up is still bloody fantastic! It's great to see Small businesses doing so well - especially the Scottish ones!

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  3. SpeedyExpressCouriers

SpeedyExpressCouriers UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,256 9
    Grrrrr.... :p

Congrats Boxby, well deserved

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 By: SpeedyExpressCouriers Member since: Aug 27, 2006
  4. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,501 598
    Congrats, things like this really help you.

Two things about the release

small error in text "They way this is done "

Also you said you won, but you didn't, you are runners up. This is irritating.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  5. hi-de-hi

hi-de-hi UKBF Newcomer Free Member

37 1
    I can't see where it says they won...it says they scooped the runners-up prize...

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 By: hi-de-hi Member since: Dec 22, 2006
  6. hi-de-hi

37 1
    Many congrats Boxby!!

7. HC-Martin

HC-Martin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,717 67
    The title of the thread is:
    I thought you had won too.....either way.....well done!

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 By: HC-Martin Member since: Nov 11, 2006
  8. hi-de-hi

37 1
    Ah yes thanks HC, I wasn't looking in the title...duh:redface:

9. stugster

stugster UKBF Legend Free Member

9,348 2,080
    8. Spam random business forums to make complete t1ts of ourselves.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  10. i234i

i234i UKBF Ace Free Member

2,284 242
    i would call £9000 a win!

Well done Sandra :)

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 By: i234i Member since: Jul 16, 2007
  11. florenceij

florenceij UKBF Newcomer Free Member

492 68
    Well done. Its really a great achievement. I am preparing to enter a similar competition (still working on my business plan). I wish you the very best.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 By: florenceij Member since: Jul 29, 2006
  12. sm1

sm1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,507 504
    Well done - I see this a year old though ;) - I thought it was an old thread, as it mentions that you were a new business, even though I knew you'd been going :)

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 By: sm1 Member since: Oct 19, 2007
  13. KidsBeeHappy

KidsBeeHappy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7,350 1,580

Yep, it's an old one, but it was nice to see it come up in the google alert yesterday :D

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 By: KidsBeeHappy Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  14. JackieC

JackieC UKBF Newcomer Free Member

264 38
    Belated congratulations. That's a great achievement and I am sure it has spurred you on in the year since.

What a great start!

Well done.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 By: JackieC Member since: Aug 28, 2008
  15. Makingthenews

Makingthenews UKBF Newcomer Free Member

138 19
    Great news, well deserved:)

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 By: Makingthenews Member since: Jan 26, 2008