Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Biggest frustration for Tradespeople?

Discussion in 'Tradespeople' started by Simply Business, Aug 7, 2015.

?

What's your biggest frustration as a self-employed tradesperson?

1. HMRC - tax, self assessment etc

12.5%
  2. Difficult customers

37.5%
  3. Late payment

41.7%
  4. Insurance

4.2%
  5. Other - explain!

4.2%
  1. Simply Business

Simply Business UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

648 72
    Hi guys, just thought I'd see what was the most difficult/frustrating part of being a tradesperson. Dealing with HMRC? Difficult customers? Vote & explain :)

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 By: Simply Business Member since: Dec 1, 2009
  2. Copperwood

Copperwood UKBF Contributor Free Member

34 8
    Late payment is my personal biggest frustration. I just don't understand the need for it - if I buy something I pay for it straight away if I need a job doing I pay as soon as the job is completed but almost all our big customers (local authorities/large chains etc.) need at least 3 months to pay and even then generally wait until the very last moment or just pay late.

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 By: Copperwood Member since: Jul 30, 2015
  3. Simply Business

648 72
    Think that echoes what a lot of business owners think @Copperwood. We've heard plenty of promises about strict rules being put in place, but do you see anything changing any time soon?

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 By: Simply Business Member since: Dec 1, 2009
  4. Copperwood

Copperwood UKBF Contributor Free Member

34 8
    I would obviously prefer it if things changed and payments were faster but I think if you want to deal with the bigger companies, you have to agree to their terms or they will just find someone else.

I suppose as long as they pay eventually i'm happy with that.

I do wonder how the smaller companies cope though with the cash flow issues it causes.

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 By: Copperwood Member since: Jul 30, 2015
  5. Paul Murray

Paul Murray UKBF Regular Free Member

585 170
    My father's a tradesman who fits kitchens and bathrooms, and he gets frustrated with troublesome clients.

Not all clients, but the odd few who feel it's ok to give him a call months after a job has finished and expect him to pop round and change something.

His biggest recurring problem seems to be when a client has had a kitchen designed and planned, it's been delivered, and he's installed it, but there's one cupboard door or drawer that doesn't open all the way because nobody checked the clearance and he's forced to spend time sorting the issue to keep the client happy.

I'm not a tradesperson myself, but this is something I have to suffer with regularly. Some clients pay within a week, some I chase for weeks or months. An employee of one company in particular let slip that their payment policy is to hold off for as long as possible to improve their own cashflow.

I understand why they do it, but I've practically got their accountant on speed-dial!

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 By: Paul Murray Member since: Nov 24, 2011
  6. Anonymouse72

Anonymouse72 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

765 158
    ALL of the above! it really has been one of those days...:confused:

late payment stresses me out most on a regular basis. just never know where you are, big or small, one month they'll pay bang on time without even asking, another month it will be excuses all the way. just want a bit of honesty, really can't be doing with false promises or getting messed about.

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 By: Anonymouse72 Member since: Jun 16, 2012
  7. MASSEY

MASSEY UKBF Legend Full Member

10,335 1,782
    Time wasters.

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 By: MASSEY Member since: Nov 29, 2009
  8. Octa

Octa UKBF Contributor Free Member

34 4
    All of the above! But definitely late payment, not at all helpful with sub-contracting as we still need to pay the men on the ground.

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 By: Octa Member since: Jul 3, 2015
  9. Matt1959

Matt1959 UKBF Legend Free Member

6,295 1,226
    people that email me asking for info, advice, rough estimates that I then email back to them promptly and hear nothing from them not even a thank you. I dont care that I dont get the work, I hate ignorant rude people that dont say thank you. Its a small thing but winds me up hugely but have to grit my teeth and keep firing the emails off or I'll end up that typical cynical tradesperson thats treats everyone with disdain.....

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 By: Matt1959 Member since: Sep 8, 2006
  10. fastronicsltd.com

fastronicsltd.com UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Late payment upsets me like anything.

Posted: Aug 8, 2015 By: fastronicsltd.com Member since: May 10, 2015
  11. pcproblems

pcproblems UKBF Regular Free Member

466 68
    People that want me to tell them how to resolve a computer problem for free. Sometimes I think that they want me to fix it for free as well :)

Posted: Aug 8, 2015 By: pcproblems Member since: Jun 30, 2010
  12. Simply Business

648 72
    Difficult customers and late payment seem clear winners then! Do you think the government should look to place stricter rules in place to avoid late payment? It literally cripples many small businesses!

Posted: Aug 10, 2015 By: Simply Business Member since: Dec 1, 2009
  13. Simon.P

Simon.P UKBF Regular Free Member

455 49
    with regards to late payments: what prices are these jobs? I make it clear to people that payment is upon completion. put simply, i cannot afford and therefore do not offer to provide credit. If people want to borrow money, ask a bank (although that is getting tighter too!)

Posted: Aug 10, 2015 By: Simon.P Member since: Dec 4, 2009
  14. Simply Business

648 72
    I think a lot of the time late payment comes from the bigger companies @H_Martin. Invoicing etc and monthly payments not being met on time. Difficult for the small business owner to let big clients go over this matter, so it ends up lose/lose!

Good policy though! You wouldn't expect payment before you do the work, why should you not be paid immediately when it is? :)

Posted: Aug 10, 2015 By: Simply Business Member since: Dec 1, 2009
  15. Simon.P

455 49
    i spent a week on "holiday" with a pal who does mainly B2B and he spent most mornings chasing for payments whilst i was doing other things like looking for sunbeds and what food was on. he said he much prefers to deal with b2c but a lot of his work comes from companies and they always have some excuse as to the payments being missed. personally, i would rather stay domestic and be in-and-out!

16. Anonymouse72

Anonymouse72 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

765 158
    B2C is always payment upon completion, no credit given at all. for our smaller/less frequent B2B we usually say pay on complete, but i'll give them up to 7 days max., our main clients are all B2B & they are on nett monthly accounts, take your pick on a pay day with those! most are usually ok actually & pay within approx 15 days of actual due date, some will push it to 30+ days late on the odd occasion, but you just have to accept it really due to the value of their orders per year.

Posted: Aug 10, 2015 By: Anonymouse72 Member since: Jun 16, 2012
  17. Simon.P

455 49
    absolutely, its all relevant but i am happy being a one-man band to be honest.

18. Simply Business

648 72
    Thanks for the insight @H_Martin and @Anonymouse72. It would be great if rules were put in place to make sure larger B2B clients had strict deadlines to follow in terms of payment. If there was a uniform maximum amount of time you were allowed to delay payment etc.

It can be really troublesome for some smaller businesses!

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 By: Simply Business Member since: Dec 1, 2009
  19. Simon.P

455 49
    yes, most i know who do B2B say the payment terms are rarely adhered to. there is always some load of pony like missed the cheque run, no one there to sign cheques, missed the months accounts....

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 By: Simon.P Member since: Dec 4, 2009
  20. Simply Business

648 72
    Indeed @H_Martin, and while that may be true, it doesn't help Joe Bloggs who needs that money to order next month's stock etc etc.

Huge problem that seriously needs addressing if Gov are serious about helping UK small business.

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 By: Simply Business Member since: Dec 1, 2009