Best WordPress theme for my needs

Discussion in 'Wordpress Support' started by Digital James, Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital James

Digital James UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Hello,

I'm just starting out on WP and am looking for Themes for a website designed to showcase digital work. At the moment this is more of a sideline than a business so I'm not looking to pay for a theme.

As a newbie, I'm finding it quite frustrating that they all seem so limited in terms of design control. I don't need an ecommerce capability and will not be using it as a blog site - I just want to be able to control all aspects of the page and embed some simple plugins.

As an example, I downloaded a theme called OceanWP. I couldn't even change the header background - you need the Pro version for that!

So are there any recommendations for straightforward themes with no bells and whistles, that let you fully control screen layout, fonts and colours and that work well with most popular plugins? Or am I asking too much? If not I'm wondering whether I should learn bootstrap and just be done with WP (I know the basics of CSS).

Thanks in advance,

James

Posted: Apr 18, 2018 By: Digital James Member since: Apr 2, 2018
  2. empiretcs.com

empiretcs.com UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Hi

You can use free membership of WPMUDEV.ORG.
    you can still use their products even if you cancel their membership just wont get any updates.
    Check it out. its a good starting point.

Cheers

Posted: Apr 18, 2018 By: empiretcs.com Member since: May 27, 2017
  3. TamaraA

TamaraA UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 0
    Divi Theme with Divi Child plugin is my favorite theme. You don't need to learn bootstrap for it, CSS basic and probably basic PHP could be enough.

Posted: Aug 31, 2018 By: TamaraA Member since: Aug 31, 2018
  4. lazypbx

lazypbx UKBF Regular Free Member

153 22
    If you are just looking for a showcase site then you could be right about NOT using wordpress. WP has it's own learning curve and you probably only need 2% of features. Have a look at some of the lightweight front end frameworks. I think https://getuikit.com/ is perfect for a digital showcase, it's very easy to use if you have a basic understanding of html. You'll have the advantage of faster site load too.

To see how simple the markup is take a look at the slideshow component https://getuikit.com/docs/slideshow

Posted: Aug 31, 2018 By: lazypbx Member since: Sep 14, 2012
  5. JRyan

JRyan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 0
    The best and most used places to find and download the free wp themes are wp official theme directory and themeforest.

Posted: Sep 25, 2018 By: JRyan Member since: Aug 15, 2018
  6. J Ali

J Ali UKBF Contributor Free Member

76 1
    Use themeforest or build your own using visual composer

Posted: Sep 25, 2018 By: J Ali Member since: Sep 12, 2018
  7. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,395 169
    Yes themeforest has got many wp theme options. Have you checked massive dynamic wordpress themes?

Posted: Sep 26, 2018 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  8. Inva

Inva UKBF Regular Free Member

370 62
    You could also use a HTML template. These tend to only cost ~15. But generally, there won't be a high quality solution, or one that lets you do all that you want for free.

Posted: Sep 26, 2018 By: Inva Member since: Aug 10, 2018
  9. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

32,686 9,685
    Closing the thread as it's long past its sell by date.

Posted: Sep 26, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.