Best website solution for lots of products

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by preciousbags, Feb 16, 2018.

1. preciousbags

preciousbags UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

652 14
    Hello all, using shopify currently for one of my sites but seem to stumble upon the pages continously being indexed and then dropped out of the index, then reindexed etc. I think it's a shopify wide problem they are trying to avoid fixing. Anyway I have had enough but need to take my site elsewhere.

We have products in the range of 20k plus and need a new e-commerce platform to move to. I moved from magento to shopify but don't want to go back to magento. Any suggestions that can handle a site with this many products and still be quick enough to use for the user and great for seo.

Thanks

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 By: preciousbags Member since: Mar 20, 2010
  2. g

g UKBF Regular Free Member

222 46
    Sensible options include the Wordpress /WooCommerce combo.

Relatively well-coded, robust, secure,flexible, supported, inexpensive, etcetera.

Posted: Feb 17, 2018 By: g Member since: Jan 29, 2018
  3. finleydesign

finleydesign UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

550 119
    I agree, we have done a 40K product build before

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2018
    Posted: Feb 17, 2018 By: finleydesign Member since: Mar 15, 2012
  4. preciousbags

652 14
    After some thought I might just move back to magento.

I already have an active magento site, although a different domain

If I want to use product descriptions from my shopify site on the existing magento site, do I just redirect the product pages to the magento site? Would the redirection take place on shopify?

Thanks all to all who read and responded

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 By: preciousbags Member since: Mar 20, 2010
  5. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,059 518
    Posted: Feb 19, 2018 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  6. justinaldridge

justinaldridge UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

550 205
    Why did you move from Magento to Shopify in the first place? Seems quite a backward move.

Shopify is not good form an SEO perspective. Too many issues.

Wordpress/Woocommerce is a good option. It's easy to set up and has enough functionality and flexibility for the level of products that you have.

Magento is a complex and expensive option. It's not as search engine friendly out of the box as Woocommerce and needs proper structuring from day one.

I can't comment on Opencart....haven't used it in years.

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 By: justinaldridge Member since: Sep 26, 2013
  7. preciousbags

652 14
    I learnt the hard way, thought shopify would be great as i am not that technical when it comes to websites. However after using shopify - brilliant asthetically, but it just did not rank the product pages. Played with different themes etc, googled some so called solutions, asked shopify experts only to be told the same thing.

Magento - everyone within the office knows the backend quite well - so we have moved back to it. Will however keep in mind woocommerce and open cart in the future.

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 By: preciousbags Member since: Mar 20, 2010
  8. kev598

kev598 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

29 4
    I found a couple of solutions. Of course, it is simpler with a code, but if you don't have programmers you can do the following:
    1st - exporting your data to a CSV and importing it via Magento Dataflow. Note that this method requires very careful formatting of your current data. If successful, Dataflow will leave your current gallery images and product relations intact. There is also an option of purchasing an extension that will increase this functionality.
    You can read about converting to a CSV on Shopify support.
    2nd - I still can't insert links, so just type - How to migrate data from Shopify to Magento video tutorial.
    It is about all data migration, but I think would be useful too.
    Hope it would be useful. But I'll go with Magento 2. It's complicated, but SEO is great, and also future updates would be awesome. I already can't wait for the next Magento versions.

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 By: kev598 Member since: Sep 22, 2017
  9. Kidz Gifts

Kidz Gifts UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I agree that Wordpress/WooCommerce is a good option. Our kids toys online shop was built on Wordpress with WooCommerce plugin. It's easy to setup and maintain. At the moment we have only over 1.5K products.

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 By: Kidz Gifts Member since: Feb 23, 2018
  10. bluenun

bluenun UKBF Regular Full Member

421 41
    xcart - without a shadow of a doubt for sites with large numbers of products. You have to host it yourself - there is a cloud option as well (which may suit if you are not technical)
    There is also CDSEO pro - which completes the seo side of things.

Avoid avoid avoid magento. The other option I would use is prestashop, plenty of support and addons - as does xcart

Posted: Mar 1, 2018 By: bluenun Member since: Dec 11, 2008
  11. Web Hosting UK

Web Hosting UK UKBF Contributor Free Member

32 5
    Wordpress + Woocommerce would be my option and a custom theme, easy to install new plugins and themes if needed without the need for coding.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: Web Hosting UK Member since: Nov 27, 2017