Best (slower) & more affordable options for posting goods to customers

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Matty B, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Matty B

Matty B UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Hey,

I'm looking for some advice from others regarding postage.

Currently I only offer customers the option of £6.95 next day via UPS, or if it's under 2kg I offer Hermes 2-3 days for £3.95. When sending UPS it costs me around £8 so I actually make a loss of £1 each time which isn't great.

Feedback i've received from my customers is that the service is great, however they wish delivery was cheaper for people who don't require their items in such a rush.

The problem i've got, is that the difference between sending Next Day & 2 days is virtually no difference in price. I use Parcel2Go currently as a broker sending approx 150 parcels per month.

Does anyone else have any other thoughts on how I can offer my customers something a little cheaper & slower but still using one of the more well rated couriers e.g. UPS, DPD, TNT. I really don't want to have to send lots of parcels with Hermes as i'd say a good 15% go missing or get badly damaged.

Any help would be great :)

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 By: Matty B Member since: Sep 18, 2019
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,415 3,367
    Do you want best?

Or more affordable?

Or cheapest?

If offering a service that costs you more then charge the buyers more. No reason why you should subsidise the buyers though they of course can be thankful for it.

Royal Mail can be cost effective. Even tracked you are looking cheaper than UPS. Not always as quick though.

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,150 817
    The price will probably be just as good nextday as three days through a carrier. Personally I would try to negotiate a decent nextday price, build the cost into the goods, and offer a set rate up to a value, ie £4.50 for up to a £50 order, free delivery if more than £50.

We live in an age where people want stuff ASAP, price is not as important as many think, service overrides it a lot IMO.

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017