Best Postage Solutions For Small E-Commerce Store Selling UK & Overseas

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by moorland72, May 5, 2015.

1. dcart

dcart UKBF Contributor Free Member

30 3
    In business, both in uk and in Poland, we use DPD services.

Posted: Feb 9, 2019 By: dcart Member since: Jan 21, 2019
  2. evhow90

evhow90 UKBF Contributor Free Member

27 4
    I have clients that use so many different ones. From a consumer preference, I have always found DPD & Royal Mail the best

Posted: Mar 3, 2019 By: evhow90 Member since: Mar 3, 2019
  3. Martyn Thompson

Martyn Thompson UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 0
    I'd use a smaller company to do it until you build it up to a sufficient quantity

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 By: Martyn Thompson Member since: Feb 6, 2019
  4. Joe Tagg

Joe Tagg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Bit late to the party, apologies if I've missed some key details from the thread. Definitely do a search for the 'Royal Mail Business Price Guide 25 March 2019'. I'll reference some key pages below.

- For low value items (<£30), Royal Mail untracked is typically the cheapest option by far
    - If you're sending 1000+ parcels per year to the UK, Royal Mail 48 would be a decent option, which would cost £2.26 for parcels up to 1kg. See page 16 of RM price guide.
    - For your international orders, Royal Mail Business Parcels (Zone Sort) would be a good one to look at. Approx £5.50 and £8 for Europe and Rest of World respectively. See page 33 of RM price guide.

- If your items are worth more than £30, then it might be worth considering a tracked service.
    - For the UK, Royal Mail Tracked 48 would probably be best and would cost around £4 - you'd need to contact them directly for an accurate quote on this.
    - For Europe, Royal Mail Business Parcels Tracked and Signed is best. See page 29 of RM price guide - cost would be approx. £10
    - For USA, Fedex do a next day service for around £15 - you'd have to enquire with them directly to get an exact price.

Hope that's useful,
    Joe

Posted: May 15, 2019 By: Joe Tagg Member since: Apr 25, 2019
  5. Brian Adgey

Brian Adgey UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 2
    Just joined. Thanks for the info @Joe Tagg - Most people throughout this thread lean towards RM for UK delivery for small parcels. 30 minutes of reading here has saved a lot of time. Thank you.

Posted: May 22, 2019 By: Brian Adgey Member since: May 22, 2019
  6. phlbew

phlbew UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14 1
    Agree small volume = Royal Mail, larger volume DPD etc.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: phlbew Member since: Dec 31, 2012
  7. TheoNe

TheoNe UKBF Regular Full Member

135 14
    Posted: Jul 15, 2019 By: TheoNe Member since: Jul 6, 2019
  8. big bad bruce

big bad bruce UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 2
    The only issue with rm is that they no longer have delivery confirmations on standard services so every parcel we send via RM is signed for which is not the best for customers who work and yes I know there website says they do give delivery confirmation but they simply don't click and drop control panels simply says no tracking available
    I use my hermes yes you have to watch them like a hawk but if you put a rocket up there backside they do sort things out with carriers you will have parcels lost no matter who you use as yet my hermes can be difficult but keep a file on what goes missing and reference the different ref numbers they give you to the original but they payout and value proof wise just upload the sales invoice try doing that with rm they want individual component receipts and only pay the cost of materials

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 By: big bad bruce Member since: Jul 30, 2018
  9. crackerjackcommerce

crackerjackcommerce UKBF Contributor Free Member

42 2
    We always use Royal Mail for items under 2kg for UK and have a fixed rate around £6.00 for Parcelforce UK (mainland).

Royal Mail 2d Barcodes give delivery confirmation and you can contact business support for GPS location confirmation which we find suffices in 9./10 cases. However, I do appreciate that this is not delivery proof i.e. no signature. (ebay and Amazon accept it more often than note which is excellent and it has helped multiple customers when tracking shows item is awaiting collection from delivery office).

What do your competition use? If you have the margin to offer a better delivery service and you are building regular/loyal customers then you should use the best service you can afford. I think anything with SMS/1 hour slots is great.

Interparcel.com are competitive and so is wedelivertheworld.com for outside UK bigger parcels.

--

Like others said before me, for small and low value go with Royal Mail. Anything else you need to research in more detail.

Rich

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 By: crackerjackcommerce Member since: Aug 1, 2019
  10. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,082 1,794
    Strange really.
    I use click and drop with royal mail.
    Delivery confirmation is what I am after. And that I get on standard 2nd and 1st class parcels and large letters.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  11. dwight10

dwight10 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 0
    Sounds interesting, since small E-commerce store selling can help some businesses to make money with those solutions. Thanks

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 By: dwight10 Member since: Jan 7, 2013
  12. philipking2019

philipking2019 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 2
    I think UPS, DHL, and Royal mail are also ok for you. You can also find a third party to do the postage. The price will be lower than you said.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 By: philipking2019 Member since: Jul 4, 2019
  13. crackerjackcommerce

crackerjackcommerce UKBF Contributor Free Member

42 2
    Same here! RM 2d barcodes give delivery confirmation at the very least and in my experience when you contact RM business support they can also use their internal GPS geo location tracking with the 2d barcode.

Posted: Sep 2, 2019 By: crackerjackcommerce Member since: Aug 1, 2019