Best platform for a simple online shop

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by EllieB, May 3, 2019.

1. Simon-TP

Simon-TP UKBF Regular Full Member

125 29
    Shopify is extremely popular but as others have said it can be expensive and if you decide not to use their own payment processing then Shopify will insist on charging you their own fees on top of the 3rd party gateway fees even though they aren't doing the processing for you (we don't know why they feel they can do this but they do).

WooCommerce is probably just as popular and offers more flexibility in terms of being able to host where you want and has plugins for almost everything you could imagine with a huge support community. OpenCart is similar.

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 By: Simon-TP Member since: May 5, 2020
  2. marakana88

marakana88 UKBF Contributor Full Member

43 6
    i think shopify, wix and wordpress is the bes platforms for online shop

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 By: marakana88 Member since: Jun 5, 2020
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

34,042 10,105
    Wix is rubbish for everything so ignore that. Wordpress isn't an eCommerce platform. Shopify may be OK but as we know nothing about their business model you won't know if it's the right one.

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. John Charles

John Charles UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 0
    Definitely go with Shopify if I were you.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 By: John Charles Member since: May 14, 2020
  5. Aspiroal

Aspiroal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    If you ask me Woocommerce are best ecommerce platform. Try this once

Posted: Jun 12, 2020 By: Aspiroal Member since: Jun 12, 2020
  6. ExoPaul

ExoPaul UKBF Contributor Free Member

91 35
    Anyone tried Squarespace and got an opinion?
    What about FreeWebStore which offers a free ecommerce store but can pay for a Pro version to upgrade it to own branding/custom domain?

Facebook are going to bring their own ecommerce platform that allows you to sell through their facebook app using a new ecommerce "shop" page. They aim to take on Shopify, Amazon Shops and eBay Shops with it (although oddly, Shopify are helping with the development of it.). The shop feature will also be integrated with Instagram and Whatsapp so your Facebook products/stock levels will also automatically synch with Instagram and can be bought directly through that application too, and any customer enquiries (customer support) can be accessed through all three platforms.
    It could be a good platform as you can directly sell via Facebook and Facebook Ads as an all in one solution while also capturing the Instagram audience and using Whatsapp for additional customer service. That is a much bigger audience across FB/Instagram than eBay has.
    The downside is that it is rolling out slowly over 2020 and may not be available in the UK for a few weeks.

Posted: Jun 12, 2020 By: ExoPaul Member since: May 26, 2018
  7. Deepika_Chauhan

Deepika_Chauhan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 1
    BigCommerce MultiVendor MarketPlace allows you to make your single admin store into a marketplace where multiple vendors can sell their products from your single and simple online store.
    It is thus a great way for add on revenues for your single admin store.

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 By: Deepika_Chauhan Member since: Nov 24, 2020
  8. pcourtney

pcourtney UKBF Contributor Free Member

43 8
    ShopWired in the UK is very good, many of my clients use it - but it is not cheap, but you get what you pay for in this world :)

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 By: pcourtney Member since: Oct 7, 2008
  9. bluenun

bluenun UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

573 62
    I dont think the OP ever clarified what she was selling , neither did she clarify what niche. Therefor no one knows 'what the best' platform is. she may have products that contain lots of variants, she maybe selling digital products. As someone who has used (and discarded lots of ecommerce apps)
    Magento (too cumbersome)
    Wix (no no no on every level)
    Shopify - you can get better for less elsewhere.
    WooCommerce - no again - unless you are selling a few products and want to faff around wioth WP problems all day
    Prestashop - not a bad call - good with product combinations - as long as there arent lots of variations
    I only use 2 for any projects these days and that's xcart and ecwid

xcart all in php - very stable product and lots of support , xcart also made ecwid. This is a no brainer, cloud based (so security taken care of by the platform) allows for physical and digital sales. Integrates direct into facebook, insta and if you can copy/paste 5 lines of text it will pop up in any website.
    xcart 5 is going this way to - but isnt free like ecwid as it offers a few extra bells / whistles. For most ecwid will be enough. ps ecwid was developed a long time before shopify (who you could argue tried to nick the idea - but failed IMO)

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 By: bluenun Member since: Dec 11, 2008
  10. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,792 651
    No way Wix! It is cheap and terrible for an online buisness. I think you mean Woocommerce for online shops instead of Wordpress. Alex

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  11. Noob Business Girl

Noob Business Girl UKBF Contributor Free Member

82 1
    Whichever one you pick, you have to think of the monthly costs (if any) that you have to pay the platform.

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 By: Noob Business Girl Member since: Jun 15, 2020
  12. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,792 651
    |Some costs i.e. Shopify are more than others. The OP hasn't really highlighted what they are looking for out of a platform. That will help gauge which one would be best but I would never ever say Wix should be used! Alex

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  13. MichelleB-UK

MichelleB-UK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 2
    Shopify is a great platform for small businesses launching online. The advantage of Shopify is that you don't need coding experience, so you can download a theme and customise it yourself. If you are not confident enough to do it yourself, have a look on Fiverr and find a search for Shopify Store Set up to find someone who can help, just check their reviews before you purchase a gig. Yo should be able to find someone who can do it for under £300 to get the store launched. Running an ecomerce is store can be rewarding if you put in the work but make sure you write good content pages, nice photos, product descriptions, set up a blog and post articles 1 or 2 times per month. Also important for SEO is to make sure you do local citations such as setting up a GMB listing (google my business), set up your business name, address, website etc - it's all free to do! (also do Bing Places) Other local citations good for free backlinks are local directories such as Yell, Yelp, Scoot, Thomson Local etc.

Posted: Dec 15, 2020 By: MichelleB-UK Member since: Nov 24, 2020
  14. Larry Fong

Larry Fong UKBF Contributor Full Member

54 4
    Shopify is a very good platform for e-retailing.

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 By: Larry Fong Member since: Dec 16, 2020
  15. Jyothi Tulasi

Jyothi Tulasi UKBF Contributor Free Member

32 2
    Etsy is the best as per my experience.

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: Jyothi Tulasi Member since: Nov 11, 2020
  16. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

34,042 10,105
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  17. Marbman

Marbman UKBF Contributor Full Member

43 4
    I am a massive Wordpress fan and I would always recommend it as a first option but I can't disagree too much with what LiquidShop has just said.

Something like Etsy will be a quicker option if you don't have the time to build a stand alone site such as with WordPress.

However if you do have the time and you are willing to learn some new skills then having your own store and website would be the best long term solution.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: Marbman Member since: Jan 24, 2021
  18. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,854 748
    I'm surprised BigCommerce hasn't been mentioned more often. Decided to go with that instead of Shopify due to the transaction fees.

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  19. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,514 649
    I've been Opencart -> Prestashop -> BigCommerce (currently about to launch)

What sealed it for me for BigCommerce was page load time ...as much as I liked Prestashop, BigCommerce is blindingly fast in comparison....the whole 'feel' is one of slickness (mainly because it's so zippy)....I'd have had to have thrown some severe hosting resources to get similar load times going solo with Prestashop

IMHO the folks at Shopify are spawn of Satan for their 'dipping hands into your profit' fee structure (outrageous...bearing in mind that they're merely a shopping cart host - not a marketplace like Ebay, Amazon, Etsy etc.) ...BigCommerce is much more agreeable in that aspect

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Posted: Feb 21, 2021 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  20. Cdcosta

Cdcosta UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I don't have much experience in creating pages and I created mine with UENI. All you have to do is fill out a form and they will create your website for you for free. In addition, you can sell your products online and they do not charge any commission. I'm really happy with my page.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: Cdcosta Member since: Feb 22, 2021