Best ecommerce shop host (i.e Shopify, 1&1)

Discussion in 'Websites & Ecommerce' started by Paul92, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IzzoNet

IzzoNet UKBF Newcomer

123 9
    Hello,

i recommend you to check more services. dont go on the cheaper one, because the cheaper sometimes can cost a lot .
    do your full research, hear recommendations and then decide.

good luck!

Posted: Jun 3, 2012 By: IzzoNet Member since: Mar 1, 2012
  2. JPMiddleton

JPMiddleton UKBF Enthusiast

323 64

I've just been offered a 15% discount if I pay in advance for 12 months, plus features that are on a higher plan and also no transactions fees.

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 By: JPMiddleton Member since: Aug 18, 2011
  3. zigojacko

zigojacko Verified Business ✔️

3,749 1,212
    Posted: Aug 16, 2012 By: zigojacko Member since: Dec 7, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Pavitra Dillinaidu

Pavitra Dillinaidu UKBF Newcomer

4 1
    I Hope Magento to be the best and easy to access...

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 By: Pavitra Dillinaidu Member since: Jan 20, 2012
  5. SuperiaCommerce

SuperiaCommerce UKBF Newcomer

15 2
    There really is no 'best' per se...it all comes down to what works for you and your business. I'd recommend that a business owner concentrates on what they need to sell their products - if they need to offer personalisation with a product that needs to be factored in.

It may not even come down to features but how the backend works or the flexibility of the front end in creating the site you want.

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 By: SuperiaCommerce Member since: Jun 1, 2012
  6. jonny1975

jonny1975 UKBF Newcomer

1 0
    Hi Guys, just wondered if Carlos had provided his 'report' on the various ecommerce vendors? Or if anyone else had a good 'comparison' matrix with a UK focus?

I'm currently looking at:
    - Volusion
    - Shopify
    - Big Commerce
    If anyone has a good comparison matrix, that would be incredible?

Thanks
    Jonny

Posted: Nov 22, 2012 By: jonny1975 Member since: Nov 20, 2012
  7. Holopainen

Holopainen UKBF Contributor

82 10
    BigCommerce is currently the best hosted cart. They made a huge step forward in a last few months from fancy site redesign to adding such features like integration with Facebook.
    Moreover it is very intuitive, has nice and professional templates and so on and so forth.
    BigCommerce offers much more out of the box features then Shopify and doesn't take any additional fees for transaction.
    Volusion in last time is very unstable. In two months their servers went down twice. I don't think you will really like that.

Posted: Dec 5, 2012 By: Holopainen Member since: Dec 3, 2012
  8. rashisree

rashisree Banned

38 1
    ZS Cart is the hosted & easy to use ecommerce shopping cart software to create your store easily.

Posted: Mar 7, 2013 By: rashisree Member since: Jan 18, 2013
  9. SkyBlueSilver

SkyBlueSilver UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    I have been using Moonfruit and you can have unlimited products and the help system is prompt and well - helpful!
    It seems cheaper to upgrade than shopify and 1&1, but you are limited in seo management etc. Very easy to adapt one of their templates to your own design, just by altering colours, titles etc. lots of useful info on the site too. You can try them out for free until you want to add more products etc.

Posted: Mar 7, 2013 By: SkyBlueSilver Member since: Mar 7, 2013
  10. PDC

PDC UKBF Contributor

171 23
    I find it amazing that there is still no simple 'go-to' site for this. Its one of the biggest missed opportunities out there.

We've bounced through a couple of store options over the years and all have had pros and cons. While I realise its very difficult to create something that is one size fits all every system we've ever used has been let down by one thing or another.

It really comes down to thinking about exactly what you need from a cart and then going from there.

Posted: Mar 11, 2013 By: PDC Member since: Aug 11, 2008
  11. curiousWS

curiousWS UKBF Newcomer

11 0
    We've now used Magento, Shopify and EKM Powershop.

Of the three, I'd prefer Shopify. It's a little more expensive, but you get value for that extra.

Magento (Community) is cheap and you can do whatever you want with it. But you will end up paying for support. I'm pretty IT literate, but still could not work out everything myself. If you do need support, I suggest looking on freelancer.

EKM is simple to set up, but ultimately limiting. Also, support is inflexible and pretty unhelpful. They recently issued an update to their shipping model that resulted in the £15 surcharge we add to overseas orders being missed from orders! I rang support, they admitted that they had not properly communicated that this might be a potential consequence of how they updated the system, but did not feel they should give . Luckily we caught it after only one order - so were only out of pocket by £15. You'd have thought they would have given me £15 credit as a goodwill gesture, but despite complaining they didn't take any responsibility.

Shopify support is outstanding (and cheesily enthusiastic!). Always willing to help and will even step beyond what they are supposed to help with if they feel able - for example I've had help with coding issues for a bespoke part of our site from them, even though this goes beyond the support they are supposed to offer. Templates are awesome! Also, great links with other software/systems.

As we renew sites, we'll be moving all to Shopify for sure.

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 By: curiousWS Member since: Apr 22, 2015
  12. BigTree

BigTree UKBF Regular

164 37
    I would highly recommend BigCommerce for a hosted eshop.

We started with self hosting and customising using OSCommerce, then 3 years using OSCMax but I got fed up with having to be a web designer/coder when I could be spending my time on running the store.

I tryed Magento (both hosted and self) and it was terrible. Had to look at expensive hosting to get it to run quickly and it's back end is very difficult and slow to use.

Decided in the end it was a toss up between Shopify and BigCommerce which are very similar. Trialed both and BigC won on price, features and style.

Support has been superb with online chat being instant or email taking max a few hours usually. Very knowledgeable staff who go out of their way for you. They're based in Australia so language isn't a problem and support hours actually work in my favor being a late worker!

I've occasionally considered Shopify since due to the only fact they're so popular I think I might be missing something but every time I compare it it's a no brainer.

Tip. Due to the trial I get shopify newsletter and blog articles and they are very useful.

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 By: BigTree Member since: Mar 10, 2014
  13. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Verified Business ✔️

4,016 718
    There are lots of great hosting companies out there but what you'll find is that most will refuse to help when something goes wrong with the website software, be it WordPress, OpenCart, Magento. This does make sense because there are a potentially infinite number of platforms custom edits and configurations, so they couldn't possibly be expected to support them all.

However it could be worth hosting with a company that also supports your chosen platform. For example we mostly design and build OpenCart sites and also host them. When something does go wrong, our clients have just one point of contact (us) and we make sure that whether the problem is with the server or the website code, it gets fixed very quickly.

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  14. Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder UKBF Contributor

93 19
    I am currently comparing the services mentioned in this thread as well. I have used 1&1 previously (but not for several years), but this provider doesn't seem to have been considered much in this thread? Is this for a specific reason?

My online store will have around 100 products (possibly less), divided into around 7-8 categories... I would like it to look smart of course, but I also need it to be user friendly/easy to use as I am not experienced... Also I was thinking of using SagePay for payment processing... Are all of the service providers compatible??

Posted: Jul 5, 2015 By: Stevie Wonder Member since: Mar 5, 2011
  15. ryedale

ryedale Contributor Verified Business ✔️

1,548 369
    1and1's support is appalling

Don't just look at the big names, you'll nearly always get far better support from a smaller well established company, usually on a one-to one basis. Especially as Antropy says, if they specialize in the software you are using.

Posted: Jul 5, 2015 By: ryedale Member since: Dec 17, 2013
  16. BigTree

BigTree UKBF Regular

164 37
    I've been with 1&1 for 10+ years now and have tried them for every conceivable type of website. There support has always let me down and I now only use them as a domain registry and website testing. Wouldn't use them ever again for a site that'll cost me money of it's down.

I've had their top packages and found there support useless and very unhelpful. Always very clear that the person is just reading from their help pages and have no idea at all to what they're referring to. Some support agents have even refused to discuss and issue if its to do with setting up the hosting to fit your package as it's seen as a website issue and not supported.

I have a large vBulletin forum and changed to Nimbus Hosting as they're UK based, very friendly and helpful and understand the package your using and go out of there way to fix issues even if its not necessarily a server issue. They also specialize in Magento hosting so well worth comparing.

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 By: BigTree Member since: Mar 10, 2014
  17. Tom Porter

Tom Porter UKBF Newcomer

34 2
    Shopify is great although can be very costly. It depends how many products you will be listing too.

Woocommerce for low amounts of products
    Opencart for a medium level
    Magento for anything over that

Posted: Jul 20, 2015 By: Tom Porter Member since: Mar 25, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.