Best Courier

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by stuart.dawes, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gibby

gibby UKBF Ace Free Member

1,245 119
    Its a shame with fastway as they have some good couriers paying to work for them & I felt really bad when I had to pull the business away from them.

Most of the time the service is great but its when things go wrong that the Fastway business falls down.

We had a few issues last year where goods were damaged or lost & the promised compensation did not arrive despite nagging & sending letters.

I did in the end write to the MD who sent a polite letter stating it was down to the local franchise owner but he would ask them to contact us.

I did get a call from someone who wasn't interested in listening at all but kept going on about what a good company they were & how hard the local franchise manager works etc.
    They didn't want to give us the money back but give us bags to the value of the losses, as it was too much work to sort the money out.

As the guy had been on the phone for over an hour I agreed just to get him off the phone but then he started selling me other services.

The big problem with all couriers is the customer service when things go wrong. All of them have issues & they don't seem to get this.

Currently we use Interlink who are really good with deliveries but you do have to check every invoice as they have a habit of adding extra charges that shouldnt be there.
    We have nagged them for an account manager to get in touch but it never happens.
    Also trying to get the included bags & labels is a pain as the local depot don't like giving them out.

G

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 By: gibby Member since: Sep 11, 2007
  2. Crivvens!

Crivvens! UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 2
    We stil haven't found anything better, faster, more reliable or cost effective than Royal Mail. In over 5 years we've had only one package go missing, and no more than 5 or 6 be delayed. We use over the counter Special Delivery and Next-Day as we always require a signature on delivery. If you are generating the necessary number of items, and don't want a signature but want them tracked, Royal Mail offer a cost effective service for this as well.

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 By: Crivvens! Member since: Nov 10, 2010
  3. roydmoorian

roydmoorian UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,953 342
    For smaller non urgent / non irreplaceable items Royal Mail MUST be first choice but do help them to get it right by including return address details. You would be surprised at how many do not :(.They do an amazing job considering the scale of operation and the constraints they are put under to deliver TNT & CityLink mail at a loss etc.

However there are some items which simply MUST NOT get lost or delayed - see my homepage ;)

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 By: roydmoorian Member since: Nov 6, 2009
  4. Crivvens!

Crivvens! UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 2
    It's exactly because our customers want their orders quickly that we use Royal Mail. At least 90% of orders arrive the day after we post, the rest the day after that (assuming a weekend hasn't got in the way). We haven't found a faster, more reliable service anywhere. The only - very rare - delays seem to happen with deliveries to the London area. We send to customers from Ireland to Japan, Finland to Cyprus, and always use Royal Mail (Airsure and ISF for outside the UK).

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 By: Crivvens! Member since: Nov 10, 2010
  5. Sean Taylor

Sean Taylor Guest

1 0
    I have used APC OVERNIGHT in harlow for many years now after switching from FedEx, i have found them to be better priced and the customer service team to be far more helpful, as they seem to have a much smaller and more tightknitted workforce.

Posted: Jan 16, 2012 By: Sean Taylor Member since: Jan 16, 2012
  6. bublibob

bublibob UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 2
    No service depending on humans is failsafe but I now use UKMail through O21 of Doncaster. Reliable and efficient. Anything up to 20kg £7.50 next day. Occasionally the next day does fail but in these cases I am not charged. I pay my account monthly after delivery so it is in their interests to provide a good service. One point I really like is that if I ring up the 'phone is answered promptly by someone who sorts any problems quickly and efficiently.

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 By: bublibob Member since: Jun 3, 2009
  7. P4D | Parcels4Delivery

P4D | Parcels4Delivery UKBF Newcomer Full Member

284 37

Agreed. It's all about service at the end of the day. Courier prices change often, suppliers go up and down in favour, every single one of them has potential to fail on a collection at some point - hopefully it won't happen to you, but like any other business, nothing is failsafe. Having someone there to help you when you need it and when things do go wrong is absolutely invaluable.

Posted: Jan 18, 2012 By: P4D | Parcels4Delivery Member since: Aug 29, 2008
  8. MarkD92

MarkD92 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hello there,

I find the best choice for larger parcels is DHL's service. Our local guy is really good, always on time for pick ups and we've never had anything go missing with them.

For smaller parcels I use the post office's service, which isn't as reliable as DHL's in my opinion as we had a bit of trouble with a package going to Ireland, but other than that both are good.

Posted: Jan 19, 2012 By: MarkD92 Member since: Jan 19, 2012
  9. gibby

gibby UKBF Ace Free Member

1,245 119
    I wouldnt touch UK mail again as we had so many items totally destroyed by them and they were not fragile items.
    We gave them a try as they were very cheap at the time, I think £4.75 for upto 30kg but they were a real pain when we tried to claim for all the damages.

G

Posted: Jan 19, 2012 By: gibby Member since: Sep 11, 2007
  10. IXP1

IXP1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

40 4
    All carriers are good at different things...
    It all depends on what type of infrastructure they have!

DHL: International.
    UK Mail: Next Day UK.
    Royal Mail: Small Items.
    TNT: Ugly Freight.
    Nightfreight: Long Length Items.
    Fed Ex: UK to America.

Posted: Jan 19, 2012 By: IXP1 Member since: Dec 8, 2011
  11. catsandcanines

catsandcanines UKBF Newcomer Free Member

70 6
    I have used UK Mail, Parcelforce & City Link but have now switched to APC Overnight through a local delivery company. It costs £6.50 plus VAT for a next day delivery service and no problems after almost 2 years of using them.

I also like UPS but they are a bit too expensive.

Posted: Jan 19, 2012 By: catsandcanines Member since: Apr 6, 2011
  12. exceedmedia

exceedmedia UKBF Contributor Free Member

58 24
    I would second APC overnight. We switched to them from Fastway last year and havent had any issues with lost parcels or delayed deliveries. They even call us after a couple of days if the parcel hasnt been delivered so we can track down the customer and sort out redirections...

Their online booking system is a bit 1990's but apart from that we cant grumble at the prices or performance.

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 By: exceedmedia Member since: Apr 22, 2010
  13. Paul Birkett

Paul Birkett UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    The best rated courier company is Interlink Express, set up as franchises around the uk (so the owners have much experience with small businesses) and owned by La Poste and Geopost, provide the best service, the best delivery and are the only courier in the world to offer a one-hour delivery window so the the receiver knows when to be in. They are also rated top for international deliveries with working relationships with all the top airlines worldwide.

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 By: Paul Birkett Member since: Jan 24, 2012
  14. thenrik

thenrik UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    hey, there's a new parcel delivery price comparison tool out there if you do not know which delivery company to use parcelchecker.co.uk

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: thenrik Member since: Mar 8, 2012
  15. whitecollar

whitecollar UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    I've run a mail order company for the past 2 years.

UPS are amazing, but expensive. However they have recently adjusted their rates to make them more competitive. They have great branding and customer experience, custom built vans with shelves, and their drivers are in my experience, very polite and efficient. Basically, UPS are the gucci service.

At the other end of the scale is UKMAIL, who use contract drivers, are mostly unbranded (rusty white vans ...). Their depots are franchises I think, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of interdepot communication. Also, don't use them for international stuff. The tracking is non existant (basically I get to know when it's delivered and that's about it) and it's of course handed off to another company to deliver abroad. However, they are DIRT cheap especially on their bagit service in the UK. So, you pay for what you get.

However, they also seem to have a very unreliable website that is down / unavailable a lot recently, so I can't book consignments onto it ... which is why I'm here having a gripe actually ... it's down right now, and has been for 1 hr +

~

Posted: Mar 12, 2012 By: whitecollar Member since: Mar 1, 2011
  16. chalkie99

chalkie99 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

845 255
    Oh, and I see it just happens to be your site! :rolleyes:

It's completely useless by the way - bears no resemblance to what you can actually send a parcel for using those companies.

Posted: Mar 12, 2012 By: chalkie99 Member since: Nov 14, 2008
  17. mailboxexpress

mailboxexpress UKBF Newcomer Free Member

70 12
    Consider using Mail Box Express we have a 100% same day delivery rate and have very competitive next day delivery rates.

Posted: Mar 15, 2012 By: mailboxexpress Member since: Jul 4, 2011
  18. mikeydude

mikeydude UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    I am stunned at the number of people that are singing the praises of the various couriers on here...we have used many and the royal mail...here is a snapshot of them all...

UKMail fairly useless...franchised delivery drivers that just leave stuff unsafe outside customers houses. charges to redeliver, don't insure anything less than £50 in value etc etc

city link.....charge even if you don't use them!...too many damages

PArcel force......parcel farce! too many restrictions on sizes and all sorts ....damages etc

yodel...Hmm.... frequent damages, lost parcels, poor insurance\refund service.

Royal mail...constantly loose items obviously stolen in post the rate of loss was that high...now way too expensive and complex to use for most items as too restricted in weights and sizes etc
    hopelesss claims system...you virtually never get your money back.

TNT... rough with items..too many damages

Fastway.....stingy franchises owners that are individually responsible for refunds etc so never want to pay for damages or loss etc. often miss delivery targets, labels seem to just fall off.
    I never see them about now so I assume they are not trading.

Hermes.....smash 5% of what we send out and loose another 5%...only good thing about them is they do refund for broken items and delays etc. buut they are MUCH to rough with parcels.

I could go on......

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 By: mikeydude Member since: Nov 9, 2010
  19. bublibob

bublibob UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 2
    Whatever you do give TNT a wide berth. I changed to TNT and they offered my first parcel free. When they lost it I should have walked away but thought it must be a one off as if it was typical they wouldnt have any customers. I was invoiced weekly and paid every month. When I paid I sent an email to the relevant email address giving my account number and the invoices paid. I did this the second month and on the third month had a failed collection. When I queried this I was told it was for unpaid invoices. After an age on the phone it was sorted out, I thought, but it happened again the next month and the month after. After a year of spending ages on the phone sorting out their invoices I decided to go elsewhere. I asked for an email to confirm I was paid up to date and received a reply to that effect. During the following 2 months I used TNT occasionally while I tried other couriers. I then paid all invoices for those few parcels and now they are taking me to court for unpaid bills despite owing them nothing. Each time I made a payment the payment was allocated incorrectly. I have been asking them for a print out of all payments received since the email confirming my account was clear but they refuse to do so. Every time I ring up I speak to a different person who promises to sort it out and reply but of course they never do.
    I have sent all the details to the court and am now waiting to see what happens.
    Steer well clear of TNT

Posted: Feb 18, 2016 By: bublibob Member since: Jun 3, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.