General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Auto-Renewal law

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Beav, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Beav

Beav UKBF Regular Free Member

161 7
    Hi guys,

I was using a piece of software 12 months ago. It didn't auto renew the first time so I renewed it. However today it has auto-renewed and the money was automatically taken (I don't use it anymore) and in the terms and conditions it does say once the money has been taken there is no refund (only cancelled when the next bill is due). I didn't get any warning coming up to the deadline either.

Is this allowed? I'm guessing they covered themselves in the terms & conditions by saying once the payment has been made no refunds are issued. I paid via paypal. I have contacted paypal and the seller obviously copied the T&C and they won't issue the refund either.

Kind Regards,
    Matt

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 By: Beav Member since: Apr 30, 2018
  2. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

928 164
    B2B sales or B2C?

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  3. Beav

161 7
    B2C

4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

20,709 2,389
    Does the terms and conditions say anything about renewal? About further subscriptions?

I am guessing that as they do not know you will not be using the software again they are covering the use.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. Beav

161 7
    Yes as I found out later it does say no refunds on renewals. Very confusing as when I first needed to renew it wasn't automatic. (I usually put renewal dates on my phones calendar so I know).

Very frustrating as I work in IT support currently and all the companies we work with offer 30 day money back as well on auto renewals.

6. bharris

bharris UKBF Regular Free Member

543 82
    Name and Shame! I hate companies who hide behind T&C's when you do not want to use their products/services just to keep the payment on a clear "its renewed and i didn't know it would and i no longer need it". Not a very moral company and one to avoid.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 By: bharris Member since: Dec 30, 2014