Are we under any obligation to have a business landline?

Discussion in 'Legal' started by paulomunky, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulomunky

paulomunky UKBF Newcomer Free Member

80 0
    Hey all,

Quick question if you may. As a web based software business, are we under any obligation to have a landline from the outset? Our support will be done initially via other channels such as email, a forum, twitter etc to cut down on admin during our early growth.

We plan to introduce telephone support later to help with customer service

Look forward to hearing your answers! Thanks in advance

Paul

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 By: paulomunky Member since: Dec 12, 2008
  2. Cobby

Cobby UKBF Ace Free Member

4,098 859
    If you have a business premises I'm pretty sure BT will tell you that you need a business line. If you work from a residence, and the majority of calls are personal then you should be fine.

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 By: Cobby Member since: Oct 28, 2009
  3. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,972 2,495
    I would walk a mile if no fixed landline number was available, I would assume cowboy company hidding in a bedsit, but that's just me

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  4. spencergate

spencergate UKBF Newcomer Free Member

538 94

I agree, I don't deal with ANYONE if they only give a mobile phone number. I certainly wouldn't buy any business services from a company that didn't give a 'proper' telephone number.

However, if you are asking if you can use your existing residential landline, I don't see why not.

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 By: spencergate Member since: Apr 18, 2006
  5. CS-Support

CS-Support UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 4
    Hi Paul,

Although you have no legal obligation to have a telephone number, what Chris has said "in my opinion" is correct, would you really want to deal with a company that you can never get hold of by phone.

We are able to supply either manned phone lines on various packages or voicemail to email accounts that at least allow your customers to leave a message, which is then emailed to you.

I think that it would be a dangerous business decision not to have any sort of number listed, especially when you are talking about a poultry sum of money for a voicemail account. You don't need to have a telephone yourself to have one of these accounts.

If we can be of any assistance please send a PM and I will have an account manager give you a call.

Regards

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 By: CS-Support Member since: Feb 4, 2010
  6. jimbob11

jimbob11 UKBF Contributor Free Member

90 0
    We have a business premises and a residential land line, but they wont fix it as quick as a buisness line.. but its cheaper

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 By: jimbob11 Member since: Feb 3, 2010
  7. My Owl 1

My Owl 1 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

935 91
    You could have either it depends how you register te landline and also if it is residential you can not claim the total cost to your tax bill. The choice is up to you on what you want out of it from a business, residential and tax purpose. pm me if you would like to know more about our economical tariffs.

Best wishes

Avril:)
    Cutting the costs of utilities for SME's across the Uk

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 By: My Owl 1 Member since: Nov 17, 2008
  8. strikingedge

strikingedge UKBF Regular Free Member

464 112
    We took over a residential line in an office we moved into - even though we told BT we were a business, they told us it was too much hassle to change it to business - so we left it as is.

O2 did a fabulous deal where you got a landline number e.g. 0207.... but it automatically redirects to your mobile. But they've paused it due to too much demand.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/22/o2_mobile_landline/

I helped a friend set-up with a dial in skype number to her computer...which can then be redirected to a mobile or landline (which costs) or answered on your skype headset (set-up charge then free) - you can get most UK dialling codes, and it costs next to nothing.

Posted: Feb 6, 2010 By: strikingedge Member since: Jan 25, 2009
  9. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14,858 2,117
    Sorry, but I don't understand the logic behind this comment. In this day and age, there's simply no need to have a fixed line number, and there's a growing number of businesses and households who simply use cellphones. They are cheaper and more flexible.

Plus, several providers offer VoIP service or virtual numbers that can be forwarded anywhere. For example, for $20/year, I have a MagicJack number in the US that gives me unlimited calling across the country and the ability, at no charge, to forward to any other phone. I can even take the device with me so I can place calls or answer calls from anywhere in the world - again at no cost. I don't get that kind of value or flexibility with an expensive fixed line phone.

Would you really look the other way because I focus on keeping costs low by using a virtual number, a VoIP phone, or a cellphone number?

Posted: Feb 6, 2010 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  10. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,972 2,495
    Confidence is the key to running a business, if that's missing then you will loose sales

Every day we are bombarded with horror stories of bogus companies and cowboys, so caution is exercised to avoide getting stung.

A landline does give confidence along with a address that at least they are traceable and not a scam.

It does not confirm any company is OK but reduces the risk slightly.

Steve things may be better in the states, most rednecks I met would find it hard to use a phone yet alone use one to con people

Posted: Feb 6, 2010 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  11. strikingedge

strikingedge UKBF Regular Free Member

464 112
    I agree...if I was using a company that displayed a mobile rather than a landline, you do get a feeling that they might not be permanent.

It is not true in every case - for instance, if my bank gave out only mobile numbers for our account managers, I'd be more impressed than having just a standard call centre number - it means I'd have a direct line to someone.

If I was looking for a cleaner via an agency and had a choice between one that had a landline and one that had only a mobile contact number....given that I'm letting a stranger into my house - possibly even giving them keys....I'd plump for the company with the landline - as, rightly or wrongly, they seem a bit more permanent and trustworthy.

Posted: Feb 6, 2010 By: strikingedge Member since: Jan 25, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.