Are trades people expected to remove their rubbish?

Discussion in 'Tradespeople' started by Rhyl Lightworks, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhyl Lightworks

Rhyl Lightworks UKBF Ace Free Member

2,536 425
    When I was doing appliance repairs and electrical work some years ago, I always removed any rubbish I had caused, and left the place as I found it.

I had 2 multifuel stoves installed a couple of weeks ago, by a Heatas approved company (chosen because they were Heatas approved), and to say I have been disappointed with their results would be an understatemnet.

Apart from giving me bad advice on one of the stoves (they said burning pallets would be fine, and when some houses nearby complained about the fumes, they changed their tune and said I was not to burn pallets, but of course nothing was put in writing) they have left my house in a sorry state, in particular leaving all their rubble strewn around for me to arrange clearing. If this is not considered part of the job I will accept it (I know what it's like to have customers who complain for trivial reasons) but if it is considered part of the job, I have a mind to complain to Heatas about it (I have already complained to the company with what I consider an unreasonable response).

What are people's opinions on this?

Barrie

Posted: Nov 28, 2011 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
  2. Websitehandyman

Websitehandyman UKBF Ace Full Member

2,158 535
    Only if it's agreed before the work starts with some contractors I would say. It now cost a lot to dispose of rubbish.

I had an old ceiling replaced in one of my houses recently, can't argue at the price or the work but I too was a bit surprised to find ten bags of rubbish leaning against the side of the house a few days later.

I'm guessing the bloke realised when it was too late that he had under quoted and it was more work then he thought, I guessed he had but he wanted the work and that's why, like a fool, I gave him a good tip at the end.

Posted: Nov 28, 2011 By: Websitehandyman Member since: Nov 25, 2011
  3. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,265 4,297
    Make the lazy b*st*rds clean their cr*p up, even if they are not due to take the rubbish away, (that's for you and any contract you have with them to decide) they should at least leave the job in a 'clean and tidy condition condition ready for use'.

Posted: Nov 28, 2011 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  4. bwhomeresponse

bwhomeresponse UKBF Newcomer Free Member

41 5
    today it is expected to leave a site tidy. if your tradesman turns up in a tatty van, he's late and looks as though he has been out on the sauce all night.
    he really cannot expect to get the job.
    today it is expected for trades to be neat and tidy.
    this may sound harsh but I am afraid it is fact of life.
    bwhomeresponse

Posted: Nov 28, 2011 By: bwhomeresponse Member since: Nov 23, 2011
  5. CKG

CKG UKBF Ace Free Member

1,690 458
    You can bet your life on it that if the rubbish was a bit of copper or stainless steel they'd have taken it away.

Just lazy.

Posted: Nov 28, 2011 By: CKG Member since: May 26, 2007
  6. Glassglen

Glassglen UKBF Newcomer Free Member

224 23
    I will try that next job rip a load of windows out and leave them on the lawn, i have just got my waste carriers licence even though we have a skip for all our waste but i say you must always clean the site when finished

Posted: Nov 28, 2011 By: Glassglen Member since: Feb 10, 2009
  7. Curious

Curious UKBF Newcomer Free Member

701 196
    Get on the phone and complain to the company that approved them. It's just being bloody lazy not tidying up and there is no reason for you to not complain about them if they're not at least willing to listen to your complaint in a civil manner.

Does my head in.

Posted: Nov 28, 2011 By: Curious Member since: Jan 10, 2011
  8. bwhomeresponse

bwhomeresponse UKBF Newcomer Free Member

41 5
    clearing up should be part of the service, there is no excuse.

Posted: Nov 29, 2011 By: bwhomeresponse Member since: Nov 23, 2011
  9. philip41

philip41 UKBF Regular Free Member

110 17
    Would not even occur to us not to clear up.

Lots of trades seem to get away with it, we would never.

Posted: Nov 30, 2011 By: philip41 Member since: Jun 21, 2009
  10. roydmoorian

roydmoorian UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,953 342
    As far as burning pallets goes, well as long as they are not made from arsenic treated wood and they are dry there is absolutely no difference to burning any other sawn wood. :| (Other than the nails left in the ash. )

The best firewood would be dry 2 year seasoned logs.

http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=43991

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    Posted: Dec 1, 2011 By: roydmoorian Member since: Nov 6, 2009
  11. maxine

maxine UKBF Legend Full Member

6,571 2,023
    We give people a choice and a cost attached to take rubbish away.

It costs a lot of money for a waste carriers licence and even more to sort it, contain it in line with regs (gypsum waste rules) and dispose of it.

If people want to save money by disposing of themselves that's up to them they can pick that option from their quote.

Gone are the days when we do for free due to costs we incur :)

Posted: Dec 1, 2011 By: maxine Member since: Oct 13, 2007
  12. Glassglen

Glassglen UKBF Newcomer Free Member

224 23
    If you give the customer a choice to take their own building waste away why do they not have to have a carriers licence, another pointless tax to cripple buisnesses

Posted: Dec 1, 2011 By: Glassglen Member since: Feb 10, 2009
  13. maxine

6,571 2,023
    I know that's why people deduct the £60-£90 or whatever we quote and say they will take it in the back of their ford fiestas.... good innit.

If they put their backs out lifting it well ... ???

Posted: Dec 1, 2011 By: maxine Member since: Oct 13, 2007
  14. roydmoorian

roydmoorian UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,953 342
    Hmm, so you have to spread the cost of your waste carrier's licence over fewer jobs. But you still need it :eek:

"If you give the customer a choice to take their own building waste away why do they not have to have a carriers licence, another pointless tax to cripple buisnesses"

Your own domestic rubbish doesn't need a WCL;)

Posted: Dec 2, 2011 By: roydmoorian Member since: Nov 6, 2009
  15. maxine

6,571 2,023
    No but if you take rubbish away then you do need it. Don't know what it's like your way but they defo do spot checks round here :)

I've been contacted by environmental waste before when someone fly tipped their rubbish and there was one paper document that identified our company and they were round in a flash! Nothing to do with us of course but showed they will contact businesses quickly for consumer rubbish!

Posted: Dec 2, 2011 By: maxine Member since: Oct 13, 2007
  16. avalanche

avalanche UKBF Regular Free Member

178 30
    on small jobs i always add rubbish removal to my quote as an optional item
    i will always put it in a tidy pile when finished but it is upto the customer if they want it taken away, im a joiner so it is mainly wood waste which can be burned by the customer or i can add the price of a skip and 1/2hours labour to the bill

Posted: Dec 20, 2011 By: avalanche Member since: Aug 19, 2010
  17. MrCloser

MrCloser UKBF Newcomer Free Member

370 99
    Unless it was agreed beforehand I wouldn't expect a tradesman to take his own rubbish away. If quoting on a job I'd add it as an extra, and only if I had a waste carrier's license.

Personally I wouldn't want to pay an electrician top skilled rates for something that could be done at a cheaper rate . When working on site they never take their rubbish home, nor are they expected to.

Posted: Dec 20, 2011 By: MrCloser Member since: Aug 2, 2011
  18. Dan Frazer Gardening

Dan Frazer Gardening UKBF Contributor Free Member

56 16
    Unless the agreement stated waste was to be removed you won't be able to force them to come back and remove it.

Waste carrier's licence is only £153 for 3yrs in scotland, and £100 for years 4-6 onwards etc. Under £1 a week isn't much.

The EA are changing the rules for my trade in England (I'm in Scotland though) and the gardeners down south don't even have to pay a fee when the rules take effect (may have already started?).

No excuse not to be registered. I know that of all contract ground maintenance firms and gardeners in East Dunbartonshire I am one of only 5 or 6 licenced waste carriers. I always include waste removal in my price as I want a clean site when I leave, not a reputation for leaving a mess.

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 By: Dan Frazer Gardening Member since: Jun 30, 2011
  19. CESSCOTLTD

CESSCOTLTD UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 4
    If you are a reputable trades person you should ideally, already have a waste carriers licence (that is unless you don't carry anything away from a customers property). I appreciate some people have (and may continue to do so,) got away without one for years but to us its not worth the risk. Also seeing as they will be tightening up on the scrap laws soon this will most likely be written into it somewhere for trades anyway.
    I always leave a tidy job and normally I remove all rubbish unless the customer specifically asks me to leave certain items (i.e. a copper cylinder and pipework) I don't usually charge for disposal of rubbish (e.g plastic, polystyrene cardboard etc) as the other items (copper pipe etc) usually cover this cost. If the customer wants the metal but not the other then a charge is usually applied.

Posted: Jan 5, 2012 By: CESSCOTLTD Member since: Sep 5, 2010
  20. Rhyl Lightworks

Rhyl Lightworks UKBF Ace Free Member

2,536 425
    There was not a great deal of rubbish (a small pile left in the garden + some other bits and pieces scattered around). I would have expected this to be cleared and included in the cost, whether they need a waste carriers licence or not. It is just the inconvenience of my having to do it that gets me.

Barrie

Posted: Jan 5, 2012 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.