App development collaboration

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by DariusCool, Sep 5, 2019.

1. DariusCool

DariusCool UKBF Regular Free Member

122 7
    Hi,

I have a reasonably well developed database system which handles the various areas of our business. I am looking at ways to make it more cost effective to develop further by collaborating with a software developer that offers similar software but is missing the detail and inside info I have of the industry and its practices.

Is there any precedence / technical term where a company will collaborate with an IT company to develop software in a way that is mutually beneficial?

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 By: DariusCool Member since: Mar 20, 2013
  2. Craig3141

Craig3141 UKBF Newcomer Full Member

20 0
    Yes, there is the example of the window cleaner booking system. Basically the window cleaning company, went and found other window cleaning companies witht he same problem, then bought a dozen copies from the developer and took him to confrences for window cleaning companies, to get more sales.

Do you think other companies would also want this software? Do you have a RESTful API in your database? If not what is the Database language?

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 By: Craig3141 Member since: Aug 9, 2019
  3. DariusCool

122 7
    Thanks for the reply. I have learnt a new concept as i am unaware what RESTful API is.

The database is access which I understand isnt the most dynamic. I see lots of "cloud" based offerings with an option to develop your own forms at a cost.

I want to avoid paying for developing whilst giving away intellectual property for the developer to then sell in.

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 By: DariusCool Member since: Mar 20, 2013
  4. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,775 9,028
    Similar software to what? Which industry?

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. DariusCool

122 7
    Field Service Maintenance would be the umbrella term.

We fix equipment at a client's premises with engineers working remotely.

There are lots of offerings in the market but none that are as good a fit as my owm but mine doesnt have the scalability or ability to access on the road

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 By: DariusCool Member since: Mar 20, 2013
  6. Craig3141

Craig3141 UKBF Newcomer Full Member

20 0
    I'm ubsure what exactly your trying to do here. n the example I provided, they avoided paying for devloping by bartering with IP/customers.

I have another term for you, which you may be familar with "on-premise". It is starting to sound like you just want someone to build a form for inputitng data into your access database, rather thana ctually devlop an app, that might be a lot chepaer than you imagine, DBA employees are about 20k a year.

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 By: Craig3141 Member since: Aug 9, 2019