Anyone using an iPad for serious business?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Parrot Hosting, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parrot Hosting

Parrot Hosting UKBF Enthusiast

441 87
    Can you actually run a business off an iPad, or is this just a toy still?

Posted: Jun 16, 2011 By: Parrot Hosting Member since: Jan 7, 2011
  2. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend

8,078 1,702
    I use mine all the time except when I have to edit and upload photos to my own website and when I have to write proper letters to send by post (rare).

Everything else I do with my Ipad including answering emails, taking notes, using the internet, spreadsheets, working on my websites, using the calendar, research, placing orders etc. It fits in my handbag so goes everywhere with me.

I don't save anything onto my PC. Everything I need is accessible via the internet so I find the Ipad the easiest thing to use.

I have binned my laptop as it is way too cumbersome in comparison and the battery life far too short.

Posted: Jun 16, 2011 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. AngelaE

AngelaE UKBF Contributor

136 28
    Deniser - can you run a powerpoint presentation off it?? Excuse my technical no-knowledge!

Posted: Jun 16, 2011 By: AngelaE Member since: Jun 10, 2011
  4. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend

8,078 1,702
    Sorry but Powerpoint presentations are not something I know anything about. But from what I've read, the Ipad is especially good for presentations.

5. AngelaE

AngelaE UKBF Contributor

136 28
    Not to worry, thanks anyway - I can use the magic of google!

Posted: Jun 16, 2011 By: AngelaE Member since: Jun 10, 2011
  6. Bobb1979

Bobb1979 UKBF Contributor

128 14
    About a year ago my partner advised me to buy a Blackberry as the business phone. Although its clearly not as flexible as the ipad, I found it one of the best purchases I have ever made. Having the internet there for emails and web browsing not to mention the route finder was such a bonus from the basic phones I had been used to.
    Its saved me so much time and I would really reccomend to anyone

Posted: Jun 16, 2011 By: Bobb1979 Member since: Feb 19, 2011
  7. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend

8,078 1,702
    I've just binned my Blackberry. Hated it once I got the Ipad and have just replaced it with an HTC which works so much more sensibly.

8. Lee Jones Jnr

Lee Jones Jnr UKBF Legend

3,749 736
    Neither of the above is true. It is somewhere in between. I use mine at work because I like to but I managed fine without it and it doesn't matter if I forget to take it with me.

Posted: Jun 16, 2011 By: Lee Jones Jnr Member since: Dec 6, 2009
  9. Guest

0 0
    every time i see an i pad i want one LOL if I was doing exhibitions this year I would have got one ,as i dont have a laptop and i feel the ipad would be a great too to have on the stand,my phone contract is up now so I am going to get a samsung gallaxy s11 ,a huge handset with ace image quality .

Posted: Jun 16, 2011 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  10. Stroh

Stroh UKBF Contributor

132 11
    Yes the iPad can do powerpoint presentations - you can also buy an adaptor for the ipad to output it through a projector/TV. I don't have one but I'm good with technology. If I did have one, I wouldn't use it solely for business, however it would be good for emails, internet, notes, task management, calendar, documents (word, excel, powerpoint) - pretty much everything deniser has said. For larger tasks such as documents and editing your website (if you have one), I would use a laptop as it will be faster. There's lots of apps on the iTunes App Store so I would check that to see what apps are available and see how they could help you first. Price is another factor - you could get a very good laptop for the same price of an iPad.

I have an iPhone which will allow me to update a calendar, manage tasks, check emails, access the internet (from anywhere as it is a phone, it has 3G), and you can even do documents on it including powerpoint presentations however this is only for minor edits really, even though you could do a full presentation on it if you had to!

Stick with a laptop and get an iPhone if you want to be able to manage emails, calendar, internet etc from anywhere.

Posted: Jun 16, 2011 By: Stroh Member since: May 16, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. garyk

garyk UKBF Legend

5,997 1,017

Depends what your business is!

Chances are though if you need to do anything....there's an app for that!

Posted: Jun 16, 2011 By: garyk Member since: Jun 14, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. webstore

webstore UKBF Ace

700 106
    If you use Microsoft Excel, Word, Open Office, Dreamweaver, FTP Software and a load of other PC based programs that get taken for granted . . . . . the answer is a big NO !

I bought an iPad a year ago hoping that I could run my business from it but I have only found it good for emails albeit I am sure others will post otherwise. Needless to say its a brill entertainment device.

But I am soon to stop using it as last week I purchased a new S-Series Sony laptop model - vpcsb1a9e

Its not cheap and is the most expensive laptop I have bought but it has 128GB SSD (no HDD), 8GB video RAM, Intel® Core™ i7 processor etc etc - a truly mouth watering spec. Its also got a built in SIMM card facility, 4-hours battery and yes at weight of 1.7kg its a lot bulkier / heavier than an iPad but for me it is a true mobile office.

Posted: Jun 16, 2011 By: webstore Member since: Nov 7, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. JamieM

JamieM UKBF Legend

2,324 350
    I am quite surprised that you use your iPad so extensively given you do ecommerce. Maybe it's just me not getting used to the touch screen but do you not need to copy and paste quite regularly? Order numbers and stuff? And flick about web pages? I find this a bit tricky! Maybe I need to practise.

I thought about getting the bluetooth keyboard case for dealing with email.

There is quite a cool app about using your iPad like a laptop here:

http://www.inc.com/business-travel-2011/apps-that-make-your-ipad-work-like-a-laptop.html

Gonna dig my iPad out for a play around now. :D

Posted: Jun 16, 2011 By: JamieM Member since: Mar 22, 2006
  14. IWYS

IWYS UKBF Contributor

503 25
    If you have a Blackberry then i would recommend the Blackberry Playbook. They are cheaper than the iPad 2!

Posted: Jun 16, 2011 By: IWYS Member since: May 11, 2011
  15. DeadlineData

DeadlineData UKBF Contributor

175 16
    Very interesting post and I can see pro's and con's regarding the Ipad for business.

I have used it for business processes but as of yet, can not use it as my sole hardware.

I am a big MAC user and even now typing this post, I feel much more competent and quick using my high spec laptop.

Ipad is great and did use it for a couple of mind-blowing presentations.

Top device!:)

Posted: Jun 16, 2011 By: DeadlineData Member since: Nov 30, 2009
  16. Richard Williams

Richard Williams UKBF Newcomer

4 0
    Mostly agree. If you consider them a toy then they'll always be.

It's a consumption device, so you might get away with doing presentations on them. They're not really about being productive though, I wouldn't want to write a long letter or attempt to program on one!

Posted: Jun 16, 2011 By: Richard Williams Member since: Jun 16, 2011
  17. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend

8,078 1,702
    I don't copy and paste much. But you can copy and paste easily anyway.

I type on the touchcreen as I would on a keyboard and I am quite used to it.If you don't get on with the touchscreen then it would be a problem but you can buy a plug in keyboard.

Flicking from one webscreen to another is particularly easy as they stay there all the time even when you have closed down and you can have 9 at once.

The only problem is uploading and doing anything other than a basic edit of photos. And I haven't found an App which is truly compatible with Word so I wouldn't be preparing proper documents on it.

Spreadsheets function really well on Ipad. The ability to email photos straight from the camera is amazing. Putting contacts straight into your address book from Gmail is a dream and click on any address in an email and a map comes up immediately. Bento is an excellent simple database if you need to use photos in your database, Numbers is great for spreadsheets, there are nifty little useful things like Labelbox and ColorSplash and I use the Apps for things like Ebay, Twitter and Trip Advisor a lot.

The best thing about Ipad is that everything saves automatically. It saves so much time and you don't need to think about saving your work.

Posted: Jun 17, 2011 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  18. makeusvisible

makeusvisible Verified Business ✔️

1,185 281
    I have had to talk myself out of buying one at least 3 times. It would be great for doing demos with clients, but from actually performing any work it just doesnt come close to a laptop.

I will find some way to justify it at some point.

Posted: Jun 17, 2011 By: makeusvisible Member since: Jan 23, 2011
  19. WPsites

WPsites UKBF Regular

160 35
    I have an iphone but no ipad. I don't see an ipad replacing my laptop just yet but I can see it would be a very useful piece of kit.

From a developer point of view I want an ipad so that i can use it at the same time as my laptop as a wireless, touch screen second monitor! Can't remember what the app is called but it's available.

Things are pretty cramped on a laptop screen with all these different programs running that each have a number of toolbars if I could move the tool bars of onto an external monitor that would be great, but with the ipad not only will it give me that external monitor but I can also use the ipads touch screen capabilities to select those tool bars.

Heck, I might even have to buy two! what a sweet setup that would be.

[​IMG]

Posted: Jun 17, 2011 By: WPsites Member since: Apr 7, 2009
  20. cjd

cjd Verified Business ✔️

15,526 3,143
    IPads are very useful in their place but they're not a PC/laptop replacement. No Microsoft Office is a BIG problem - you can read spreadsheets and documents but you can't edit or create them.

The keyboard is good for what it is but not for anything serious and the touch screen cursor is clever but a bloody pain if you need to use it a lot. Spell check is a bad joke.

No USB port is an Apple crime. Limited storage. No DVD drive and because of no USB you can't have one.

Everything is hacked down to the minimum which makes some thing a nuisance - so it's definitely not a laptop/PC replacement but it is a very useful sidekick to an iMac.

Posted: Jun 17, 2011 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.