General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Anyone had a privately issued camera parking ticket?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by fathippy, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fathippy

fathippy UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

603 94
    I was gobsmacked today when I got a postal parking ticket for having been in a MacDonalds carpark for more than the "free" time allowed.

Not only is this very poor customer service, since a meal was bought and consumed, but I am also curious as to the rules here.

I am aware of private clampers dealing with vehicles on site, but having left a site with no indication or intervention, I am unsure what rights they have to send me a photo in the post and press for money?

Any experience or thoughts?

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: fathippy Member since: Jul 17, 2008
  2. Parthelan

Parthelan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,483 1,269
    I'm not sure what your beef is :|

There would have been signage saying you had 2 hours free parking or whatever it was, there would have been signage saying the car park was for mcD customers only; you exceeded that allotted time - pay up :)

Your car was blocking another paying customers parking spot while you were off down the high street shopping, and treating the car park of McD as free parking for the duration :)

I dont think it was poor customer service either. If you'd eaten quicker and ran down the high street, you wouldnt have got caught ;) :D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
    Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: Parthelan Member since: Dec 16, 2010
  3. drounding

drounding UKBF Newcomer Free Member

377 80
    How long was the 'free time'? it surely can't take longer than half an hour to eat a McDonalds.

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: drounding Member since: Aug 26, 2009
  4. FreelanceSoftwareDeveloper

FreelanceSoftwareDeveloper UKBF Ace Free Member

1,561 348
    If you only ate the McDonalds then complain to them as they clearly didn't allow enough time for you to eat but if you went off elsewhere then I guess it's fair enough that you get a ticket.

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: FreelanceSoftwareDeveloper Member since: Sep 14, 2009
  5. MikeJ

MikeJ UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,808 1,699
    A common complaint in Macdonalds.

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: MikeJ Member since: Jan 15, 2008
  6. Parthelan

4,483 1,269
    It was a while coming - but I knew someone would get there in the end :D

7. john resident

john resident UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 3
    If you google the name of the company that has sent you the ticket you'll probably find lots of information from other people which will usually end with the advice 'ignore it'.

Some of these companies send more and more threatening letters for you to pay but actually they cant enforce payment - so if its one of these type of companies I'd tell them to burger off.

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: john resident Member since: Jan 1, 2010
  8. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,991 2,670
    Give the name and address of your uncle that lives in Ecuador. The one that borrowed your car that day.

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  9. RBS

RBS UKBF Ace Free Member

2,644 326
    Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: RBS Member since: Jul 13, 2009
  10. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy UKBF Legend Staff Member

20,433 7,050
    I got one from B&Q :(

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  11. Parthelan

4,483 1,269
  12. cmcp

cmcp UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,337 856
    So you broke the rules and you're looking for a loophole out of it?

Safe to say you won't be breaking the rules again, whether you pay the fine or not ;)

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: cmcp Member since: Jun 25, 2007
  13. iArtist

iArtist Guest

0 0
    They do this at various places now and it stinks. Unless lack of parking is a genuine issue for customers then it's nowt but a racket.

At the end of the day..our culture is set up neccessitating the need of a car, and yet there are few parking spaces, so you do what you must sometimes, right or wrong!

Lets not be too goody goody about parking tickets, they're a curse on society unless someone is blocking emergency access route it's rarely a genuine issue.

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: iArtist Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  14. SoftwareDyn

SoftwareDyn UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 7
    Ignore it - PCN notices cannot be enforced.

Check out pepipoo.com - the gods of motorists and the law.

Do not enter into any correspondence with them, after the second letter, they will not follow this up.

There are numerous laws which apply, I cant be bothered to look them up, but they guys at pepipoo will put your mind at rest.

I had one may years ago, their advice was spot on.

I was suprised to read guidelines on one of the threads on there last week that even the council litter notices are usually not enforced correctly. The large majority of those issued are invalid too.

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: SoftwareDyn Member since: Sep 28, 2010
  15. Parthelan

4,483 1,269
    I see what your saying - but seriously - if you had a nice shop, and a big parking area for customers, and then found your customers couldnt park because the early train crowd used your car parking to park their car all day, coupled with the shoppers who use you for free parking instead of paying the 2 quid down the road.... how happy would you be with that.

At a nearby school there is parking stricty only for teachers at the front as it's school property - the teachers have been blocked in so many times when they came out to go home because shoppers or those briefly visiting someone near by couldnt be arsed to park down a side road a few hundred yards away where there's no restictions, but it would mean a longer walk back for them. Teachers have also had to do this walk as they couldnt get parked at their place of work due to these selfish idiots.

Sorry, I have no sympathy. McD's around here give either 90 minutes or two hours free parking. It doesnt take that long to eat a burger. No, I suspect the OP used it for free parking instead of coughing up for onroad parking, while they went shopping or whatever, and now they got caught, theyre whinging.

16. RBS

RBS UKBF Ace Free Member

2,644 326
    Agree 100%. I`m currently fighting PCN for stopping in yellow box with Transport For London. Its illegal as it does not comply with regs. I would say 40% of all road marking/signs/enforcement devices do not comply with law and cannot be enforced. You just need to know where to dig.

Bible:
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/contents/made:D

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: RBS Member since: Jul 13, 2009
  17. Parthelan

4,483 1,269
    Not so... see the links I posted re a similar case on pep... there were numerous letters, something like 6, followed by a solicitors letter... the advice remained the same though... to ignore... unfortunately the thread ended without the op saying what the final outcome was.

18. SoftwareDyn

SoftwareDyn UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 7
    I think you will find it is a money making scam .... no other way to explain it. If you only want paying customers to use your parking bays there are numerous and low cost ways of enforcing it.

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: SoftwareDyn Member since: Sep 28, 2010
  19. daniel.benson

daniel.benson UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

618 112
    They work on the basis of the driver entering into a contractual agreement when they park on the said property.

If the driver breeches the contract they issue a charge notice to the registered keeper hoping they will pay.

There are many people out there saying don't pay, do pay, ignore etc etc. The government are preparing to legitimise this sort of parking enforcement to take over when they ban wheel clamping, However I seen something last night saying they are not going to ban the wheel clamping but regulate it and cap fees (see below). The government plan to make the registered keeper liable so such charges and I do believe at the same time they are doing something to stop ANPR ticketing on private land.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news/15246/parking-penalty-just-judge-rules

http://www.shropshirestar.com/latest/2010/04/07/court-told-of-signs-in-parking-wrangle/

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0405/clamping.html

My advice would be to either pay the charge or ignore it completely and do not enter into any discussion with MET parking or the debt collection company that will soon contact the registered keeper.

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: daniel.benson Member since: Nov 16, 2010
  20. iArtist

iArtist Guest

0 0

What I am saying is I guess that parking inappropriately is a symptom of problem rather than the 'whole problem'. The actual problem being lack of parking which should all be free given we already pay road tax and public transport is utterly crap in most cases.

Really we should have free parking for all everywhere at all times.

It's like being charged to walk on the pavement..we have no choice but to use them. Though...it's only a matter of time.

Meanwhile yes of course I'd be annoyed about bad parking in my place of business. I have indeed moved people along before now for blocking my GP's parking spaces at the surgery I managed and so on.

But..if it's a case of charging when it's NOT actually a problem then it is just a scam. If parking is a genuine issue, then yes tackle it, make it clear you're tackling it..only charge what you lost not over the odds and lobby for better free parking elsewhere.

IMO

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2011
    Posted: Apr 6, 2011 By: iArtist Member since: Jan 1, 1970
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.