Anybody had any joy using www.moneyclaim.gov.uk?

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by simonswords, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simonswords

simonswords UKBF Ace Full Member

1,161 37
    I've been told about the debt recovery service provided by the site https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk and I just wondered if anybody on UKBF has successfully used it to reclaim a debt owed to them?

Thanks in advance...

Simon :)

Posted: Jul 3, 2007 By: simonswords Member since: Jan 7, 2007
  2. bwglaw

bwglaw UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,681 237
    It is not strictly a debt recovery service per se but an online version of filing a Claim in the County Court. I hear a few on here have had success, whether with the system itself, or in the debtor making payment, I do not know. I personally do not like using it and many lawyers are of the same view.

Posted: Jul 3, 2007 By: bwglaw Member since: Apr 8, 2005
  3. simonswords

1,161 37
    Thanks Jonathan, what makes you averse to using such a tool?

4. lee8040

lee8040 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

106 24
    i used it to reclaim bank charges and i won

Posted: Jul 3, 2007 By: lee8040 Member since: Jun 6, 2007
  5. Richie N

Richie N UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,039 486
    It's ok, we have tried it a few times and clients cough up....although if they dispute it, it then tends to drag on for a few months to get a court hearing date etc.
    We haven't lost any yet though through this procedure :)

Posted: Jul 3, 2007 By: Richie N Member since: Nov 1, 2006
  6. Kent Accountant

Kent Accountant UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,998 161
    The MoneyClaim online website is exceptionally slow at the moment due to loads of people issuing summonses for bank charge refunds :(

Try www.thomashiggins.com who are cheap but efficient online solicitors. £2 + VAT for a letter before action - £5 + VAT for a Late Payment Interest letter and they also undertake court action through the Northampton bulk claims centre and instruct baillifs and the High Court Execution Officer to collect debts

Posted: Jul 3, 2007 By: Kent Accountant Member since: May 30, 2006
  7. Astaroth

Astaroth UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,076 279
    General reservation is that most people done understand what it really is, as said, it is issue proceedings it isnt some magic way of avoiding court to get funds but most seem to think they use the site and sit back and wait for the cheque.

Posted: Jul 3, 2007 By: Astaroth Member since: Aug 24, 2005
  8. simonswords

1,161 37
    I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of a County Court claim when I got in to a dispute with HMRC so I have a fairly sound idea of how it works in terms of the procedure that you have to go through.

Thanks Lee, Richie, Bob and Astaroth. Cannot believe that there is a firm of solicitors charging such small fees! Clever idea on the surface of it but they must have to process a hell of a case load to make it work.

9. Kent Accountant

Kent Accountant UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,998 161
    According to their website -and I believe them - they've been involved in collecting £10billion since 1980. The about us section is quite interesting

Posted: Jul 3, 2007 By: Kent Accountant Member since: May 30, 2006
  10. bwglaw

bwglaw UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,681 237
    ...because when it had just come out I tried it and was disappointed that there were word limits etc. I believe this website is good for undisputed and straight-forward debts. It is not designed with the professional in mind.

Posted: Jul 4, 2007 By: bwglaw Member since: Apr 8, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.