Any volunteers? PHP / Web Developers?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Mac Yeti, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac Yeti

Mac Yeti UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,172 13
    Hi,

I'm interviewing next week for a web developer job and have come up with a list of technical questions to ask of candidates.

I was hoping that some developers here would be kind enough to take a look at my questions and offer me an opinion.

Let me know if you have a spare 15 mins for this - it would be much appreciated!

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 By: Mac Yeti Member since: Aug 22, 2005
  2. An Oasis

An Oasis UKBF Newcomer Full Member

9,901 1,684
    Willing to have a look, can't promise to be helpful, but feel free.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 By: An Oasis Member since: Oct 3, 2006
  3. glencooley.com

glencooley.com UKBF Ace Free Member

1,704 165
    Send'em over Jill

Many thanks

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 By: glencooley.com Member since: Sep 12, 2007
  4. Guest

0 0
    It would be good to have a PHP test as well for them to complete, prior or at the interview.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  5. Mac Yeti

1,172 13
    Hi Gavin,

This will be kind of like a test - I'll ask some of the questions but will also get them to sit down and go through some of the more taxing questions on paper.

Anything you can suggest?

Jilly

6. glencooley.com

glencooley.com UKBF Ace Free Member

1,704 165
    At one of the jobs I had previously the whole process ran as follows.

Meet and chat part of the interview (make sure there is a culture fit and raport)

Then it went on to a general test of some fundamentals (HTML/JavaScript) these were in the form of actually writing the code.

Then it went on to solving an abstract problem with a white board and pitching the concept to the interviewers. This was to show the ablility to think on your feet and react to change/comments and also to show that you understand the concepts you are trying to convey.

HTH

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 By: glencooley.com Member since: Sep 12, 2007
  7. An Oasis

An Oasis UKBF Newcomer Full Member

9,901 1,684
    Possibly (depending upon the type of projects) a holistic approach - knowledge of accessibility, SEO basics, thoughts on training and personal skills development...

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 By: An Oasis Member since: Oct 3, 2006
  8. Astaroth

Astaroth UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,076 279
    Have never thought it good to test the developers I employ for their PHP skills, probably because we develop in .Net and JSP though.

That said, what we do do is a two part test on the day, the first is with pen and paper do a SWOT style analysis of a piece of code with the brief for the code and secondly for them to complete a task using a PC to create a piece of code. The only challenge with this type of test is that you need someone to mark/ discuss it who is going to have to not be "big headed" and think that their way of doing something is the only way.

If you want to send them across I am more than happy to look at them.... would need to know if the person is supposed to be filling a normal developer, technical lead, analyst or all of the above plus some project management type role :)

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 By: Astaroth Member since: Aug 24, 2005
  9. Jeewhizz

Jeewhizz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

691 69
    Hi Jill,

Feel free to send it over :)

Khalid

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 By: Jeewhizz Member since: Aug 27, 2007
  10. robertt

robertt UKBF Newcomer Free Member

349 47
    Likewise... rob atsign hey.co.uk and will give you some feedback :)

Cheers,
    Rob.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 By: robertt Member since: Jul 2, 2006
  11. Leo-InstallingIT

Leo-InstallingIT UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,486 233
    Hi

You seem to have plenty of volunteers, but if you need anyone else to have a look just send it over.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks

Leo

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 By: Leo-InstallingIT Member since: Oct 7, 2006
  12. jakeylakey

jakeylakey UKBF Newcomer Free Member

127 13
    Ive done some good tests when going for jobs. They had a simple page displaying a table of data from a database, already made. I had to fix 5 bugs and make 5 modifications. Was the best test ive come across.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 By: jakeylakey Member since: Jan 11, 2006
  13. tema

tema UKBF Newcomer Free Member

148 20
    Posted: Feb 29, 2008 By: tema Member since: Jun 13, 2006
  14. Mac Yeti

1,172 13
    Awesome! Thanks all :)

15. Mortime Business Software

Mortime Business Software UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,075 46
    Jill. If you think that I may be useful to you, then use me.

Dave

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 By: Mortime Business Software Member since: Dec 13, 2005
  16. Interconnect IT

Interconnect IT UKBF Ace Free Member

1,244 195
    In my career I've always treated tests with grave suspicion. They often fail to test creativity or ability to work when the crap's really hit the fan. Sometimes the best test results won't find the best people.

Also, some tests seem to be designed to catch the interviewee out. I've been to places like that, where their top techie is trying to prove to his boss just how clever he is. Usually easily deflected, of course.

Of course, there are some things that should always be known by anyone in a given field. In development, simply asking what a bitwise operator is can separate a surprising amount of script kiddies from true developers.

But my favourite question is along the lines of:

We have a problem with the performance of this SQL view. We don't expect an absolute answer right now because we know it could take hours to optimise correctly, but can you tell us how you would go about improving its performance?
    That's a lot better than:

Find the problem with the following:

select a.* from payroll a, employees b where a.emplid = b.emplid and b.startdate = "Nov 1 2007"
    The latter is such a stupid question that many good developers would be wondering what the trick is....

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 By: Interconnect IT Member since: Nov 15, 2007
  17. bluecm

bluecm UKBF Newcomer Free Member

171 23
    I would totally agree with Interconnect IT.

It's very similar to the old adage "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for life."

Just because someone understands a language syntax it does not make him or her a good programmer. (i think that relates to the fish proverb...somehow) What makes the difference is the ability to apply that knowledge to a project or situation.

Anyway if you would like to send over your questions feel free to do so.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Mar 1, 2008 By: bluecm Member since: Aug 9, 2007
  18. scrizzle

scrizzle UKBF Newcomer Free Member

241 21
    Give them a simple test...

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 By: scrizzle Member since: Mar 3, 2008
  19. Mac Yeti

1,172 13
    I totally agree that their approach to the problem is a lot more important than giving an answer to an examish type question - it's not made easier by the fact that my php knowledge is minimal so it's difficult for me to be able to probe into the whys and wherefores.

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 By: Mac Yeti Member since: Aug 22, 2005
  20. rjharrison

rjharrison UKBF Newcomer Free Member

152 14
    Some questions I might ask (separating wheat from chaff):-

* What PHP frameworks have you been exposed to? What do you think about the MVC design pattern?

* Explain to me how a cross-site scripting vulnerability might occur (and how to prevent it). How would you handle cross-site request forgeries?

* What is your typical source-control workflow and what commands do you use?

* What do you think about PHP5's new SPL classes (and how have you implemented them previously)?

* OOP: inheritance or composition?

* Discuss the pros and cons of the Singleton design pattern.

* What is bytecode caching?

* Explain the difference between database abstraction and data access abstraction.

* InnoDB or MyISAM engines for your database tables?

* Explain the differences between CHAR, VARCHAR and TEXT column types (in terms of performance and storage requirements)

* What are indexes? Give an example of how they could be used.

Good luck with the recruiting!

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: rjharrison Member since: Jan 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.