Any Voipfone Users here

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by IANL, Sep 2, 2021.

1. IANL

IANL UKBF Big Shot

891 193
    I am trying to find any other voipfone users here.

There is an issue which we have not seen an update for neary 22 hours.

@cjd I am not sure you are on here can you help with updating the last update is
    Update -
    We are continuing to work on a fix for this issue.
    Sep 1, 11:22 BST

We cannot even get into the portal to change the routing of the number

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 By: IANL Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  2. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger Verified Business ✔️

10,148 2,775
    Follow them on Twitter, they have been tweeting a lot about this.

Latest says:

They are a victim of an extortion DDOS attack which they are trying to counter.

If you can contact them by any other means, they will manually set call diversion for you.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  3. IANL

IANL UKBF Big Shot

891 193
    They have turned off Live Chat, They cannot be contactacted via Phone and they are slow to update. I am following them on twitter and they have some very unhappy customers (for obvious reasons) I know Colin Duffy (CEO) is on this forum from time to time.

It has gone on for several days now!

4. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Legend

1,701 322
    Yes we're a customer of VoipFone.

Whilst it's an inconvenience... I'm surprised at the number of outraged tweets about the outage.

There's a setting the control panel, where you can set a failover number for such events. All our calls appear to be coming through to the mobile.

Trying to divert now is a little shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  5. IANL

IANL UKBF Big Shot

891 193
    The issue for us is that the divert needs to be changed. It's diverting to my mobile and I could with going to someone in the office.

I think it's a bit more than an inconvenience to many businesses - especially larger ones. Hence the tweets.

It's been the lack of comms around what is going on

6. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Legend

1,701 322
    What it is piss poor planning from both Voipfone, and consumers.

You'd assume they'd have systems in place to protect themselves from such an attack, at least some kind of disaster recovery plan - evidently not.

If a small business like ours can have plan for such an event, you'd imagine larger companies would too.

Those running call centres, relying solely on ONE supplier, with no redundancy, no failover, that's not voipfones fault is it? I don't know if voipfone make any guarantee's about their uptime.

The trouble is, redundancy costs money, and isn't used the majority of the time, so it's more likely viewed as a needless expense.

Where we do agree is that the communication from Voipfone is lacking.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  7. cjd

cjd Verified Business ✔️

15,526 3,143
    Sorry all, you might understand that I didn't see this thread.

As you can imagine it's hard to discuss this in public because we're being attacked by an overseas criminal organisation that is watching our moves and responding to actions that we take in real time day and night. This is not script-kiddy, hobby attack, their motive is extortion.

Despite what others are saying, this is NOT a normal DDoS attack. We have the usual defences against those which were overcome very quickly. I really can't say much else other than we know of four other UK telcos under attack now by the same organisation and the industry has convened to consider an industry wide response.

We notified all our customers directly, email and LiveChat support ARE working, though there will be intermittent problem as we mitigate whatever phase of the attack we are having to deal with. We are updating the status page regularly now but of course we can't say much there either, we're just letting people know we're still here and working.

Not everyone is affected, it depends on whether we have direct connections with whatever broadband provider you are using - and we are adding providers as I type. The industry is being very responsive.

Other things are happening which I can't speak of.

We will overcome this, please bear with us while we deal with it. When we get to the other side of it - which we will - we will be the first VoIP provider to have experience of this attack and have defences against it.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
    • Thanks Thanks x 8
  8. IANL

IANL UKBF Big Shot

891 193
    Thanks @cjd They are up at the mo.

I suspected it was more than a 'simple' DDoS

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. cjd

cjd Verified Business ✔️

15,526 3,143
    Posted: Sep 3, 2021 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  10. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Legend

1,701 322
    Oh dear may have spoken to soon - Fingers crossed you get sorted soon enough.

I'm curious as to whether you're receiving any assistance from government agencies, or the police?

Posted: Sep 3, 2021 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  11. cjd

cjd Verified Business ✔️

15,526 3,143
    We are in touch with various agencies. Can't say more, sorry.

Posted: Sep 3, 2021 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Legend

2,085 215
    Hope you get it sorted. All the best.

Posted: Sep 4, 2021 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. SteveHxyz

SteveHxyz UKBF Newcomer

2 0
    Seems stable again now.

I'm a fairly happy voipfone user, but this has highlighted the fact that I need to buy at least 1 extra line elsewhere as a backup to our voipfone lines, any recommendations, would ideally be low monthlies with loaded call charges as I'd expect it to be rarely used.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 By: SteveHxyz Member since: Sep 14, 2021
  14. kulture

kulture Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

8,352 2,353
    If you want outgoing calls only then have a second or third VOIP provider and configure your equipment to use them when needed. Companies like SOHO66 are good. For incoming calls you need a seperate phone number but I don't know enough about your situation to say how calls to this number would be routed to you. Perhaps route the calls to a mobile?

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  15. SteveHxyz

SteveHxyz UKBF Newcomer

2 0
    many thanks, I'll ping soho66 an email.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 By: SteveHxyz Member since: Sep 14, 2021
  16. NickGrogan

NickGrogan Full Member

2,976 725
    I use TTNC and had no downtime in the last 3 years+

They do VoIP calls, numbers and everything else.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  17. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Legend

4,000 1,675
    Voipfone are good when they are working. Had God knows how many issues over the years though. To be fair, we live in the middle of nowhere, so our broadband isn't exactly great.

This recent event did remind me of a thread on here years ago in which Voipfones use of very simply numeric passwords was questioned. I didnt think too much more about it at the time as CJD seemed confident in his processes and security. Wondering if trusting my payment details behind a 6 digit password is such a good idea now though.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  18. cjd

cjd Verified Business ✔️

15,526 3,143
    Just to reassure you, it's obviously not only a 6 digit password. It can't be guessed or brute forced, there are other measures in place that prevent that. If it was a simple 6 digit password Voipfone would't have survived a month. If that.

But as it's very difficult to communicate that without describing what the real protections are, we are going to change how we use and manage passwords over the next few months so that people will also feel that they are more secure too.

On the DDoS, Four other VoIP providers have now been attacked - we were the first. Six others have had ransom demands without an attack and at least one other has had a pre-attack probe. You can expect more.

It's made us think a lot and we've been talking amongst ourselves inside the industry - as well as GCHQ, Ofcom and to a few other people who only have a first name; and it's not their own. We now have a lot to do and a lot of investment to make. I would mention that anyone offering a cheap VoIP service that hasn't been saving for a rainy day is not going to cope with what happens next.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  19. cjd

cjd Verified Business ✔️

15,526 3,143
    I should also add that nobody's payments details are held in our network.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Legend

4,000 1,675
    Thanks for the reply, it is reassuring.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014