Any good ISPs out there.

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Annoying Donkey, Oct 17, 2020 at 4:45 PM.

1. Annoying Donkey

Annoying Donkey UKBF Ace Free Member

2,868 990
    I've been with Plusnet for many years and now moved home.
    According to Plusnet's ads, we just have to give them a few details and they'll handle the transfer for us.
    Supposed to have our phone and broadband moved on 30 Sept, found out about two weeks later that they still haven't even sent the order to Openreach.
    Since then we've been made various promises, none of which have been fulfilled. e.g. promised to send a mobile dongle as an interim solution. Nothing turned up.
    Feeling rather pissed, so looking for a new provider who will do what they say they will do. Does such a provider exist?. Ideally without a long term contract... so if they turn out to be poor we can get shot of them without huge expense...
    Any recommendations?

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 4:45 PM By: Annoying Donkey Member since: Sep 13, 2009
  2. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

10,029 2,695
    IMHO there is one Rolls Royce ISP - A&A.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 6:01 PM By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  3. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Ace Full Member

1,573 391
    Zen, but they are also dependent on Openreach for last mile. Their customer service is excellent, they gave me a Fritzbox which is much better than BT or Virgin "home hubs", their FTTC feels faster and is definitely lower latency than Virgin's FTTP was for me, and is more reliable (virgin had night time slowdowns and disconnects).

I have also heard good things about A & A but have never used them myself.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 9:38 AM By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  4. Kerwin

Kerwin UKBF Regular Free Member

126 12
    I use Virgin Media Business. I can't say I've had any real problems with them. The service delivers the speed I pay for, and I haven't noticed much downtime when using the internet 12 hours a day. The support is a bit hit and miss, but they fixed the problem I had when they enabled a static IP address on my account within about 20 minutes so that was OK. I'm sure you can get better support elsewhere, but they don't offer 500 down and 35 up in my area and speed is important to me.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 10:06 AM By: Kerwin Member since: Dec 1, 2018
  5. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,515 4,449
    Virgin everytime, if you've got fibre cable to the premises, it puzzles me why anyone would choose their interwebs to come down copper pair.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 10:55 AM By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  6. gpietersz

1,573 391
    Once you get to tens of megabits:
    1. Latency matters more to me than speed
    2. Reliablity matters more to me than speed
    3. Good customer service and quick fixes when there are problems matter more than speed - Virgin once told me it would take a week for someone to come out to see what the problem was.
    It depends on your usage, but for me getting big downloads a bit faster does not matter (they tend to be things like software updates that happen in the background) and things like being able to watch multiple video streams in HD at once is not important either.

I would like faster uploads, but that is the only real drawback.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 11:27 AM By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  7. estwig

12,515 4,449
    I completely agree with you.

A service that uses fibre cable instead of copper pair is always going to tick more reliability boxes, and therefore more customer service boxes.

I'm not about to start 'fighting the good fight' for Virgin, I really don't care anything like enough! :)

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 11:54 AM By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  8. gpietersz

1,573 391
    Not always. I would rather have copper from a reliable provider rather than fibre from the reliable one.

Obviously if its fibre vs copper with other things being equal, I would prefer fibre.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 12:30 PM By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  9. KM-Tiger

10,029 2,695
    Nope.

I have both Virgin and ADSL.

The ADSL is far more reliable though slower. Virgin has too many dropouts, particularly in the evenings. And latency on ADSL is about a half of that on Virgin.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 2:02 PM By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  10. estwig

12,515 4,449
    Don't pick me on you two!!

I'll strangle the pair of you with the bl**dy copper pair!!!!

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 3:09 PM By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  11. gpietersz

1,573 391
    Who is the ADSL from? A & A who you recommended earlier? They do have a good reputation.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 11:14 AM By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  12. KM-Tiger

10,029 2,695
    Yes, A&A.

The delight for me is that if I do need support, I can immediately talk to a fellow professional, rather than some one reading a script, and who clearly knows less about networking than I do.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 11:42 AM By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  13. gpietersz

1,573 391
    Yes, the scripts designed to diagnose all the issues you had already checked and ruled out before phoning them.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 11:46 AM By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  14. Lucky8

Lucky8 UKBF Regular Free Member

184 23
    Zen - very good, although some of their tech support staff recently aren't up to the very high standards that they've had for years.
    Avoid 1&1 like the plague.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 12:23 PM By: Lucky8 Member since: Jan 17, 2019
  15. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,173 324
    Another vote for Zen here. Zen have been great for me. No renewal price hikes. Good customer service. When Openreach failed to turn up within the agreed time window (but same day) for installation Zen reimbursed me the installation cost and I think a small amount of compensation. The service has been solid, no complaints.

I have considered A&A in the past but ultimately I have very rarely ever had an issue with your bog standard ISPs so I didn't see much benefit for the premium price. Especially when in the rare case of downtime, which could happen with any ISP, I can connect over 4G these days (haven't had to do this so far since switching to Zen mind you).

On the subject of Virgin Media vs ADSL, I wouldn't like the idea of being locked into Virgin and having to haggle with them for a better renewal price. I'm not a fan of services like Virgin and Sky TV where everyone is paying a different price depending on what deal they can obtain after spending X minutes or hours on the phone. I'd rather be able to freely switch around between ADSL providers, or in this case use Zen with their lifetime price guarantee.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 4:06 PM By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  16. Kerwin

Kerwin UKBF Regular Free Member

126 12
    If you go with Virgin Media Business they promise to fix issues within 12 hours of the fault being reported. Having an SLA is one of the main reasons to go with business providers rather than consumer providers. Plus you also get static IP addresses with Virgin Media Business which you don't with consumer services.

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 4:54 AM By: Kerwin Member since: Dec 1, 2018
  17. gpietersz

1,573 391
    I agree an SLA may be valuable, especially if you have an office with multiple people relying on the connection.

On the other hand, 12 hours is a lost working day if the fault is reported in the morning, and I have a 4G connection as a backup.

Not something I really need at the moment, but I have one because you do get static IPs from some consumer providers (Zen again).

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 12:27 PM By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  18. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,805 1,071
    We switched to vodafone and I cant really fault them. Service is pretty good, internet seems the same as any other provider, no noticeable downtime in 2 years and I work from home a lot.

Posted: Oct 21, 2020 at 5:16 PM By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008