Any comments / advice very welcome

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Its4john, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Its4john

Its4john UKBF Regular Free Member

137 11
    Just paid for full membership to get reviews on our website,

Excuse me if I don’t reply to comments as they come in, I’m just going to sit back and digest all comments.

Thanks in advance
    JB

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Posted: Nov 12, 2017 By: Its4john Member since: Nov 10, 2017
  2. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

3,046 1,096
    Find a good seo, and use them.

Have you never heard of reputation management? If I google your business name, pretty much the first result that isn't to a page on your site is to a discussion about how rubbish your products are. It would be very easy to knock this off of page one and bury it, but you haven't done it.

I presume this is you gardenlife.biz

Posted: Nov 12, 2017 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,916 9,058
    The only reason anyone will be on your site is because they want a chicken run.

So the header needs to reassure them they are in the right place. This means you can bin the logo and just put the words 'Chicken Runs'.

You probably don't need the search box as you have so few products.

The navigation looks clunky and unwieldy. I'd drop the 'Chicken Run' from each so it looks better. Still needs some work though. You could add thumbnails to each size - that would explain the sizes.

Why the link to bird flu? Might be useful but it's not a prime navigation item.

Needs a 'Home' link. I know I can click on the logo but people expect to see a home button.

The link to the gallery isn't a gallery, it's a testimonials page.

Why is 'four mesh upgrades' a feature? Do people really need to know this?

On the homepage bin the huge hero image. It adds no value and just gets in the way of the products.

Why are the 'featured' products. Surely they are just products.

Show the full range. That means the length options for each span. This will show prospective buyers everything you sell.

Images! You need images for each products. If you can't take photos get an illustrator to create them for you.

Footer is OK but I'd add the telephone number and email to the header. And as discussed in the other thread, use a local number not 0800.

Also reconsider the TLD. .biz isn't the most trusted, gardenlife.co.uk or gardenlife.uk would be much better as the prime domain.

I'd do a product page later for you along with a number of other pages.

Posted: Nov 13, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. TomJ83

TomJ83 UKBF Regular Free Member

368 75
    fisicx,

I think he chose the .biz tld because both suggestions that you made, gardenlife.co.uk and gardenlife.uk, were taken at the time of registration. Of course .biz is not the most trusted tld but what can he do in a situation like this?

Posted: Nov 13, 2017 By: TomJ83 Member since: Aug 30, 2017
  5. fisicx

30,916 9,058
    Raise a dispute with nominet. Garden Life is a limited company so should be able to claim the domain from Eye to Eye media (who aren't using it).

6. TomJ83

TomJ83 UKBF Regular Free Member

368 75
    I think the "bird flu info" section in the menu steals the attention from your products. Perhaps it could be removed and the info about the benefits with pvc covers (which protect the chickens from bird flu) could be merged into the product information of the covers.

Another suggestion would be to shorten down your menu. Is it necessary to have all the sizes of chicken runs in the menu? It could work with having an "our products" page or something similar. When people then click on it, they will be presented with the different options that are available.

Moreover, I saw an interesting feature that a competitor has, Smiths Sectional Buildings. In the section that they have for chicken houses, they have categories that match the customer with the products that matches them best. For 1-18 chickens, for 18-50 chickens etc. Perhaps something similar could be implemented on your site, which would make it simpler for the customers to find what they're looking for.

On the product page, add images to each product which has been suggested by fisicx. By not having real images you might lose customers because they don't feel an urge to buy.

Posted: Nov 13, 2017 By: TomJ83 Member since: Aug 30, 2017
  7. Scott@KarmaContent

[email protected] UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

742 319
    It wouldn't be quite as straightforward as that. It looks like .co.uk was registered long before the .biz and before the company was formed. I can't see why they'd have any right to claim the name.

They'd have to raise a dispute with Nominet, the current registrant would almost certainly defend it and the claimant would have to pay £700+ to get a decision from Nominet (can't remember the exact figure).

Posted: Nov 13, 2017 By: [email protected] Member since: Jun 24, 2014
  8. fisicx

30,916 9,058
    In which case they could go ask Eye to Eye media nicely if they would like to sell - as they are unlikely to be able to use it themselves.

9. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,307 1,739
    Posted: Nov 13, 2017 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  10. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,307 1,739
    The product information is very poor, you have to remember what is obvious to you and some of your regular purchasers isn't to all of us.

How long does it take to build
    How many birds does a 2m x 4m run hold
    How do you fix the mesh to the frame
    Is the mesh on the floor too
    What stops the mesh sagging
    How level does ground have to be
    How many people are needed to erect one
    What do all the mesh upgrades and weld upgrades mean

I did find some of the above info but it's buried in the little FAQ link at bottom of the page, it needs to be far more prominent and more info on the product pages too.

Where are the step by step photos and instructions, or better still video?

I see you supply instructions with them, so why no downloadable PDF I can download 1st?

The grade select thing is totally confusing
    Do I select one upgrade or the other, or select multiple upgrades?

It looks like a site built by someone who knows about runs for people who know about runs, put on the shoes of a general punter and look at it.

Posted: Nov 13, 2017 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  11. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,851 2,619
    Yes, the interesting information is hidden away, rather than being easy to find.

And I don't think you should duck the question of how many birds is a given run suitable for. If it is a matter of opinion then give a range.

Posted: Nov 13, 2017 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  12. fisicx

30,916 9,058
    Looking at the different mesh options I'm now more confused than ever.

What the benefits of each type? How do I know which one I need? Why three select boxes?

13. NewGardenStyle

NewGardenStyle UKBF Regular Free Member

373 82
    First thing I noticed was how long it takes to load...

Posted: Nov 13, 2017 By: NewGardenStyle Member since: Jun 26, 2014
  14. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

3,046 1,096
    It's the kind of site that could have been designed to have a very enviable conversion rate. Actually, it would have been very easy to design the site to stand as a blueprint for how to get a site to convert. However, what you've done is built it to put people off and make it unnecessarily difficult for them to decide what to buy.

With such a narrow product range the site could work as a flowchart does; leading the visitor through the process required to get them from the landing page all the way to parting with their money in a few very simple steps.

Take a few steps back. The site is a clear indication that you have no marketing strategy in place. Do this first before you even think about 'fixing' the site.

Posted: Nov 13, 2017 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  15. Its4john

Its4john UKBF Regular Free Member

137 11
    Thank you all very much

I'll have a good read through tonight over glass of vino.

Posted: Nov 13, 2017 By: Its4john Member since: Nov 10, 2017