Antivirus software

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Richard Cole, May 11, 2020.

1. Alpha Helica Peptides

Alpha Helica Peptides UKBF Contributor Free Member

68 7
    I think Nortan is best, available 50% off on Norton 360. Window defender is also free option for who has a licensed version of the window operating system.

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 By: Alpha Helica Peptides Member since: Feb 10, 2020
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

34,002 10,098
    Ha ha ha hah ha!

You do write some really funny posts.

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Alpha Helica Peptides

Alpha Helica Peptides UKBF Contributor Free Member

68 7
    HAHA I liked it....

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 By: Alpha Helica Peptides Member since: Feb 10, 2020
  4. Noel CC

Noel CC UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Anti virus software is only part of the battle. By far the bigger threat is the insider threat, whether that be from deliberate or accidental actions. So many businesses I speak to haven't considered this until it's too late.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 By: Noel CC Member since: May 12, 2020
  5. Craig Bird

Craig Bird UKBF Regular Full Member

112 10
    AV alone is not the complete solution - you need a layered solution, our offering is a centrally managed platform, our team manage and monitor a central Business AV solution, but also include host visibility, advanced threat detection, anti-virus, anti-malware, Operating system patch management, 3rd party system patch management, performance improvement and monthly reporting. Speak to your local provider today!

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 By: Craig Bird Member since: Feb 24, 2017
  6. Steven Boyd

Steven Boyd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 1
    Craig makes some really great points there.

For personal use, things like free versions of software like AVG (incidentally a personal favourite of mine) are fine for small business and personal use. I'd also suggest looking at sites such as Virus Total - www [dot] virustotal [dot] com which is really useful for checking suspicious files or sites that you may have encountered, against a number of AV Engines, as well as educating yourself on some of the fundamentals around best practices in terms of recognising suspicious emails and safe web browsing practices.

For commercial use, I would suggest a defence in depth or layered approach like Craig's suggestion above.

Posted: Jun 25, 2020 By: Steven Boyd Member since: Jun 25, 2020
  7. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,652 4,526
    Exactly that!

Posted: Jun 25, 2020 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  8. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,791 327
    You agree with that nonsense?

Posted: Jun 25, 2020 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  9. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,652 4,526
    Yes wholeheartedly, all the antivirus software I have ever used has been nothing more than spammy rubbish!

Posted: Jun 25, 2020 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  10. Armorica

Armorica UKBF Newcomer Full Member

21 3
    Personally I can recommend malwarebytes. It looks really solid

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 By: Armorica Member since: Apr 3, 2020
  11. 3SSOQCNFWJ

3SSOQCNFWJ Guest

0 0
    Hi

I wouldn't recommend using Malwarebytes as it’s more of a quick deep scan on the system for on the go detection and removals. I would recommend paying for a year license. Norton AV, Kasperski, McAfee will do the job. It‘s better to safeguard and protect your information then to leave it to chance.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 By: 3SSOQCNFWJ Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  12. fc-ramon

fc-ramon UKBF Contributor Free Member

73 14
    Please please please avoid norton and mcafee. Kaspersky is good, i like their lab work that the do and release

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 By: fc-ramon Member since: Nov 6, 2020
  13. 3SSOQCNFWJ

3SSOQCNFWJ Guest

0 0
    Norton’s not as bad as people think. People just don’t know how to configure its settings for all the additional let’s say, "clingy add ons”
    It’s got good detection rates. A paid for and licensed anti virus is an investment especially if you’ve got a couple years worth of personal data on their. All it would take it the wrong type of virus to corrupt your system 32 files, back door trojans, Adware, Trackers etc and you’ll be kicking yourself for days. Ultimately, a costly error.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirussoftware.

14. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

932 206
    True they are even worst than that. Constantly finishing in independent tests near the bottom. Somebody would need to smoke plenty of crack to install the likes of northern, avast or macaffee.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2021
    Posted: Jan 18, 2021 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  15. 3SSOQCNFWJ

3SSOQCNFWJ Guest

0 0

Nah Think it’s more a matter of personal preference. Sounds like you’ve had a bad experience as it only take a couple clicks to disable other features. Plus they can’t be that bad they’re still in business :/

16. fc-ramon

73 14
    I agree with Nico, Norton doesn't score very well in independent tests. Actually from version 3.5 or 4 onwards Malwarebytes is a full anti-virus replacement. Its detection was lacking before but in recent updates its doing pretty well. There is a "PC Security Channel (on YouTube)" test on Malwarebytes done late last year and it done very well detecting all but one of the testing files which are a mix of malware and virus tests. A big improvement over the Malwarebytes of a year ago.

17. 3SSOQCNFWJ

3SSOQCNFWJ Guest

0 0
    Keen to know Where your pooling your information from as Malwarebytes is a very very basic protection. Each to their own..

18. 3SSOQCNFWJ

3SSOQCNFWJ Guest

0 0
    ukPCmag

Just one out of endless UK sites that still put Norton up in the top 5 and a recent 2021 review from testing labs. But please go ahead and share where you got yours from

19. fc-ramon

73 14
    If the site is UK based or not does not make a difference. I'd recommend a site like AV comparatives which rates Norton two out of three stars. Certainly not bad but not the best. I'm personally not a fan of its bloatware type impact on performance.

As for Malwarebytes here's the video - . This guy is pretty well known for testing anti viruses and the testing is all recorded so no way of altering the test results. Only misses 2 files which then it blocks after a reboot - pretty good compared to the version a year ago which only blocked 70% of malware / viruses ran.

Edit: As for McAfee - It's pretty much as meme in the I.T & Cyber Security space. Pre-installed on oem machines, very poor detection, massive hog, pain to uninstall. At least Norton has kinda matured, McAfee hasn't.

20. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

932 206
    Norton is a popular pile of **** if you actually wanna work with it and get protection. Norton is very heavy on the cpu in anything even simple things like file transfers. Working with certain apps such as Adobe suit it gets to the point of useless. Norton has still plenty of issues with ransomeware detection and unknown treats. Useless as an STD at best Norton. Source : inhouse testing and seeing what ransomeware servers come come in. Norton and Windows bit defender followed by mccrappy

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017