An itch that needs scratching

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Fuzzy, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glencooley.com

glencooley.com UKBF Ace Free Member

1,704 165
    But there is not logic to that as everyone would say "the least possible" but if you want the maximum for your money you need everyone quoting in the same ball park and go with the one delivering the most useful to your business input (creative, technical) surely?

Once I understand a client I am proactive in assisting with my techie/commercial knowledge as I like to leverage every available techie/web/creative tool i can for them to stand them out from the crowd and give their business the innovative (gorilla) edge setting them apart....

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 By: glencooley.com Member since: Sep 12, 2007
  2. objected

objected UKBF Newcomer Free Member

131 2
    Yes - a good way to approach it- I agree.

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 By: objected Member since: Dec 10, 2007
  3. objected

131 2
    BUT Glen has a good and valid point also.

So many opnions so many choices so many realities... Lots of good opinions to be found here.

4. INDIZINE

INDIZINE Banned

2,321 169
    Lets face it we will all do business differently and treat our potential customers differently, but the best we way know how from our own experiences. If you have been a customer buying websites you know exactly the customers thoughts, fears, excitement, etc. and that is the basis I work upon.

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 By: INDIZINE Member since: Oct 24, 2007
  5. Sally@CC

[email protected] UKBF Newcomer Free Member

872 26
    Of course we would all say the least possible but you must have the experience to know that my answer gives an indication of my budget. I am not going to say £50 if I want the super duper delux website. If I say £5k is the least I would spend then you know you can go order a new expensive suit.

I take my hat off to you and you are obviously a rare commodity in the webdesign world - someone that genuinely wants the best for their client rather than just as much out of their bank as possible. Shame everyone didn't work the same way and then maybe people like me would be less cynical and still have some cash in the bank.

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 By: [email protected] Member since: Oct 17, 2007
  6. glencooley.com

1,704 165
    Agreed, and I have been a customer buying software services in another life (past employment)

That is why I guess I like to know straight away if i am wasting time or the customer is. Even if they cant afford me (my services) in their budget I will refer them to other companies that have a cheaper cost structure or are smaller etc to help them.

Because all i have is TIME to get any project/work done I like to make sure that is best spent doing work with clients not playing the price is right.

As a business I budget for everything and then try and get the most for that....if that means negotiating something down to my budget because it offers better value then i will try that but at least everyone knows we can meet in the middle or not. Not that a proposal that took time out of my life (working/social COSTS MONEY) gets thrown away because 2 companies go as low as possible to get started then dont deliver to the standard/spec because they realise there is no value left in a project.

7. Interconnect IT

Interconnect IT UKBF Ace Free Member

1,244 195
    You have to remember though that there are plenty of folk out there looking to rip off suppliers, just as much as the other way round.

It's also very very hard for a client to actually judge the quality of the work available. And, to be quite honest, the very best developers are hell-bent on getting as far away from clients as possible - they eat into time, and they don't know what's what. It's impossible to explain things to them because they don't trust you.

I remember from my ERP days I did some implementation work at a client. Then a few years later I visited them on a friendly. They said they'd found me a little slow when I worked for them, and often quite 'difficult' in that I was always very hard on specs. Then I went off on a bigger contract and they got a replacement. Well, he was wonderful! He did everything for them and worked really fast! It was wonderful. They thought he was much better than me.

Two years later, they had to upgrade their systems and migrate the code to the new version. Mine just... worked. Not a lot had to be done, because everything was written to standards, and carefully. The other chap's code had to be rewritten.

Suddenly they knew who was best, but that was years after I'd left.

Development is very very hard to do well, and clients don't always understand it. I'm far happier working for a client that does development themselves, than one that does... I dunno, building.

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 By: Interconnect IT Member since: Nov 15, 2007
  8. Fuzzy

Fuzzy UKBF Legend Free Member

5,365 506
    Fuzzy sneaks in and finds the itch is still itching:eek: , quietly on fuzzy tip toes, sneaks back out before anyone sees.:D

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 By: Fuzzy Member since: Oct 20, 2007
  9. glencooley.com

1,704 165
    It doesnt give an indication of your budget though? It just says I am expecting it to be more......how much i dont know so you tell me....then when you are told 2.5k thats too expensive.

It sets the expectations the wrong way round quoting a minimum spend I feel. As everything comes in OVER that usually.

Sure I am a capitalist (hence joining a business forum and running my own company) but every single client i have had I have added more than the brief. This is because you dont buy a web site per se you by the knowledge in applying technology. this means that I can suggest features, process and elements to the project that as the client you may not of had knowledge of or realised it was technically possible.

Design is Design, Software Development is Software Development, Web design/development is applied technology to business marketing and process.....

10. objected

131 2
    Another great point - a point I tried to make (I did honest) referncing the "pastiche" that people go for. They pay for the bit they see not realising that the bit they don't is often of far greater importance.

"Of course we would all say the least possible but you must have the experience to know that my answer gives an indication of my budget. I am not going to say £50 if I want the super duper delux website. If I say £5k is the least I would spend then you know you can go order a new expensive suit."

Sally, you'd be amazed - £50 - as much as that - I just want a Facebook copy! How diffic... ;)

I didn't realise we were seen as untrustworthy though - I would rather install my own kitchen (I have done a few) than get a "professional" so I understand were you are coming from. Web Developers and Lawyers - cut from the same cloth! Only ours is 100% Polyester :( whereas...

11. objected

131 2
    Can I use that? Well put.

12. objected

131 2
    You opened a debate - and a very good one. Do not be afraid - walk closer to the light - feel its comfort... :eek:

13. glencooley.com

1,704 165
    Yeah course thats my pro bono for this week :p

14. Fuzzy

5,365 506
    Now there's an offer I simply cannot refuse!!;):D

15. INDIZINE

INDIZINE Banned

2,321 169
    So Fuzzy, are you now clear on the budget question you asked?

Sure its not just web design, other sectors ask the same question especially where it isnt 'measurable' at the time of enquiry.

Quite often it is just used to establish which financial playing field the client is on, so if you are a company dealing with small end projects around £300-£600 then you might not want to take on a project at £10k.

Likewise if you are used to having minimum budgets of say over £1k, then you know you cant do £250 so dont want to waste the clients time or indeed your own. I will work on any budget to give the client the best they can get whether it is £250 or £10k.

Your customers are also a marketing tool regardless what they spend, as they will tell many people what a great job you did perhaps more so than the bigger companies.

16. Fuzzy

5,365 506
    After this 12 page thread :eek: I'm very clear :D

17. INDIZINE

INDIZINE Banned

2,321 169
    Did you manage to select a designer for you work or are you still sifting? I guess that question ws asked a few times eh!

18. Fuzzy

5,365 506
    To be honest, we aren't sure :(

19. INDIZINE

INDIZINE Banned

2,321 169
    why? whats the sticking point?

20. Fuzzy