General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

An itch that needs scratching

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Fuzzy, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glencooley.com

glencooley.com UKBF Ace Free Member

1,704 165
    Now if they could tweak the Access wizard for SQL Server then I would be a happy man ;)

Actually maybe thats a bad idea having to upscale something the client knocked up :p ...........

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 By: glencooley.com Member since: Sep 12, 2007
  2. Sally@CC

[email protected] UKBF Newcomer Free Member

872 26
    So are you suggesting that if you get a new brief that wants a site very similar to one you have already done then you would not use code from the previous one? Okay no 2 sites are the same, things have to be tinkered with and changed but it seems a bit pointless to rewrite code to move from page 1 to page 2 when you have that on every site you ever created - am I sounding cynical yet?

I think it all boils down to the issue of trust. I agree with a previous post that if I say I have £5k to spend then even if the designer can do it for £3k the price tag will be £4950 - why should I give away £1950??

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 By: [email protected] Member since: Oct 17, 2007
  3. DuaneJackson

DuaneJackson UKBF Legend Full Member

9,527 1,118
    That's exactly what it is. Churns out CREATE commands for SQL Server and I think also a load of .net C# code too.

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 By: DuaneJackson Member since: Jul 14, 2005
  4. glencooley.com

1,704 165
    Thats not the way it works. From a behind the scenes look (code, graphical elements, forms) yes there are some things that can be reused like putting the date on the screen but layouts, design and programming are almost always different unless you work to the confines of most off the shelf templates or sites.

If you have 5k to spend and are happy spending why does it matter how much the supplier makes on it? I believe in fair pricing and shopping around but live with the reallity that businesses need to make money and sometimes jobs are really profitable and other times you loose you ass and make a loss.

5. glencooley.com

1,704 165
    OOOOOh lovely......Database and CLR oh the joys!!

6. Sally@CC

872 26
    Forgive me I am not being rude, what features on that site are so 'bespoke' and are not contained in a few hundred other social networking sites?

I can show my site and one from the US (both social networking sites), they look and operate totally differently but are both based on the same original code - we both used the same designer to get completely different websites from the same template.

I accept bespoke is more expensive, I went the extra mile so now when an addon is released I have to pay to have mine specially scripted by the designers but he never asked 'how much have you got in the bank Mrs'.

7. Sally@CC

872 26
    Hee, hee you should come and work in Egypt, the first question here is 'what country do you come from' and then prices are adjusted accordingly.

Maybe I am just old fashioned and like to get value for money.

8. Fuzzy

Fuzzy UKBF Legend Free Member

5,365 506
    Fuzzy sneaks back into this thread to see what she has started :eek:.....and quietly sneaks back out :D

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 By: Fuzzy Member since: Oct 20, 2007
  9. glencooley.com

1,704 165
    I guess everyone is worried about being ripped off. But like gambling (business risk) only spend (budget) that you can afford and make suppliers work to that.

Its not about knowing how much you have in the bank its about knowing how much time I have to get it done. Thats where knowing the budget comes in as all web design/developers charge for is their time (knowledge). It would be easier if clients would prefer to pay by the hour but the trend is for project work.

There are lots of frameworks and templates to use agreed and you can make something look infinitely different with design you just have to work to or extend those frameworks or templates.

The issue comes is there wasnt a framework or template that fitted a requirement. For example a biotech firm with 30,000 products working in 4 languages across 3 international locations couldnt go to the shelf and get a solution so we built (in house) a bespoke system and framework SOP/ERP/CRM solution.

Now by wanting to be different not one of my clients have ever asked for "can i have the same as that other client but with my logo". They want to be different they run their businesses differently from order processing through to reporting. Everyone takes inspiration and ideas from other places and yes you can reuse and tweak existing code to fit your requirements but sometimes refactoring a site, code or database to work a different way or do different things is time consuming and negates the point of using an off the shelf ready made template/frame work.

10. glencooley.com

1,704 165
    LOL I dont dispute that we all try to do that.

I just dont know why there is this thinking that because i tell you my budget ( i have x to spend to achieve x) if it comes in on that budget or below that you feel hard done by?

11. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,645
    OK glen tell me how many of the sites you have done need anymore than a basic HTML site .I would guess no more than 1 in a 100 and the ones that do can usually afford to pay a tad more.

Of all the sites I have been involved in we have only had 1 that needed a database (half a million products)

most sites that have under 1,000 products would be much better off written in HTML,certainly from an SEO perspective.

Earl

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  12. glencooley.com

1,704 165
    Gauntlet down sir! lol

Right Most of the sites I have worked on (Bourne Leisure, Butlins, Haven, Warner Holidays, Abcam) Had over a 3 terabytes of data possibly more. The overnight reporting database was 700gb and took 8 hours to de-normalise overnight at bourne.

At Abcam another large plc we had the load balancer rewrite URL's on the fly for complex antibody products that were massively content rich at page level and it worked well with all the search engines. This is on top of the work i do for Ad Agencies (systems integration, web services et al) where moving data between platforms, divisons and locales means that static just wont cut it.

Now not every site needs a database granted but in my portfolio at least half need more than a few pages strung together. But all the stuff in my portfolio is only sites i personally build the other work i do is usually team based development on larger projects or for large enterprise where i bolster the team/skills.

Then you get in to the latest fad of CMS which everyone wants which means again you are in to structured planning of content, code and design both off the peg and bespoke so need a database.

Just because its db Driven doesnt mean that you end up with URLs like me.asp?=1 me.asp=2 etc.

A question in return.....how many people actually want truely static sites these days??

From the development (self employed end) only 1 this year for me...

:D

13. rjharrison

rjharrison UKBF Newcomer Free Member

152 14
    Ridiculous - you don't know what you're talking about.

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 By: rjharrison Member since: Jan 3, 2008
  14. Chippie

Chippie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

805 140
    echo echo! :D

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 By: Chippie Member since: Jan 3, 2008
  15. Fuzzy

5,365 506
    Tut tut, now who started this thread!:rolleyes:

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 By: Fuzzy Member since: Oct 20, 2007
  16. DuaneJackson

DuaneJackson UKBF Legend Full Member

9,527 1,118
    Agreed. But you're banging your head against a brick wall. When it comes to discussing anything DB or programming related with sirearl it's pointless. Been there, done that. There's a long old thread somewhere where people have tried to tell him what a dynamic page is, he just doesn't/wont get it.

Old dog, new tricks, etc : )

Posted: Jan 24, 2008 By: DuaneJackson Member since: Jul 14, 2005
  17. redwall

redwall UKBF Newcomer Free Member

197 1
    we have been working on a gardening project for 16 months billing monthly

we had a phone call monday saying they have been looking for other quotes and that we were £ 1000.00 more that the rest

we have now been asked to match that price or lose the contract

the fact is that we have been told what the price is going to be

no question

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 By: redwall Member since: Dec 31, 2007
  18. Fuzzy

5,365 506
    Fuzzy popping in quietly to see if everone is still behaving on this thread and popping swiftly back out :D

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 By: Fuzzy Member since: Oct 20, 2007
  19. Chippie

Chippie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

805 140

Walk!!!!!!!

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 By: Chippie Member since: Jan 3, 2008
  20. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,645
    Well there you go Glendoline you have just made my point by quoting some of your very large and impressive clients.;)

My contention is that 95% of the forum members don't need anything more fancy than a simple shopping cart,and most could get by with a simple 10 page site for £500 or so.:)

P.S why can I only access UKBF using dial up but not with me Orange Broad band.?:|

Your friend and admirer Earl.:D

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.