Amazon?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by HostOX, Jul 21, 2019.

1. HostOX

HostOX UKBF Contributor Free Member

75 3
    Well, ebay is no longer a possibility now due to a very bad fall out - Got charged £1000 fee (refused to pay as it was no sale) for one listing due to messaging someone a contact number and they were quick to shut me down.

Signed up to Amazon a while ago, considering selling on there instead and wondered what are peoples feedback?

I mostly sell £3-£8 items, small profit margin items and easy postal items (large letter size), is amazon any good for it?

I got stock sat here wasting away, but I read amazon may not be the place for small time sellers.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 By: HostOX Member since: Aug 26, 2017
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

15,606 1,719
    Amazon can be good. Like ebay they don't want you trying to take customers.

Some stuff we find sells better on one site than the other. There have been products we'd sell a couple of hundred a week on one site that sold less than one a week on the other despite both being listed.

Just watch out for competitors undercutting you on the product page, amazon is also a competitor. Sellers share product pages, can be dozens of sellers some of whom want to be the cheapest.

And timescale for money is a lot different - if your account is less than 4 years old they keep the money for a few weeks before releasing it, then a few days to your bank account.

Support for sellers tends to be a lot worse on amazon and they are somewhat more trigger happy at suspending accounts over verification, authenticity and IP claims.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Kevin McCabe

Kevin McCabe UKBF Contributor Free Member

43 1
    For a product sales price of £3 to £8 your profit margin is very limited to play. I would suggest to not go for FBA as they take something around 30-50% of your sales. You add PPC costs and product cost. You won't make anything.

If I wanted to work on Amazon, I would go for medium demand low competition products. I would do fulfilment myself. And the minimum price would be at least £25 to make it worth for my daily trip to Post Office.

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 By: Kevin McCabe Member since: Jun 1, 2019
  4. Kevin McCabe

Kevin McCabe UKBF Contributor Free Member

43 1
    Let me clarify on my last post. For example this product which one of my friends selling is providing her good and safe passive income. I wouldn't say millions. But a few hundreds a month for having this listing is fine.
    KADIN Leather Bracelet Women Men Unisex Wristband Genuine Stainless Steel Cuff Lock
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/KADIN-Leat...adin+bracelet&qid=1564657002&s=gateway&sr=8-1
    The supplier is the key here. She has a team who are doing this handmade. No cheap thing from China. Good quality and decent package. If you want to start selling on Amazon, this is a successful example.

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 By: Kevin McCabe Member since: Jun 1, 2019
  5. Mr D

15,606 1,719
    Unless of course if FBA cost per item is lower than the merchant cost of sending the item.

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. Karl M

Karl M UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 0
    Amazon is a great place from the one side and most complicated marketplace from another.
    I'm a seller for two with something years now but still have to read tons of articles and updates to stay updated on all Amazon fees and tools. If you want to find some Amazon software - check on FBA Catalog. Most of the tools I found there. BTW, what kind of software do you use for business? Or it's old school Excel file?

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 By: Karl M Member since: Jul 5, 2019
  7. marcusbecome

marcusbecome UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    They say that amazon has presented different scams, is there no control over these cases?

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 By: marcusbecome Member since: Aug 1, 2019
  8. Mr D

15,606 1,719
    Well usually someone has control of a scam. Not generally the victim though.
    Build a platform, someone will figure out how to play it.

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  9. crackerjackcommerce

crackerjackcommerce UKBF Contributor Free Member

38 0
    It is a double edged sword. Mr D reply above is very good, not much I could add.

Is your Amazon account verified?(do you have a seller payments account for disbursements/funds withdrawals).

Does the item(s) you have to sell have a manufacturer barcode? If yes, is anyone selling this item already - what price, how many sellers, is it FBA or FBM?

If no, do you have a GS1 barcode account and is your brand name registered.

---

The reason I ask, is that Amazon are getting stricter with brand control and new sellers listing new products which are not already in their catalogue. Plus if you are selling items which other people are selling then as a new seller you will find it hard to get traction unless you use FBA and are the lowest price.

Posted: Aug 6, 2019 By: crackerjackcommerce Member since: Aug 1, 2019
  10. Mr D

15,606 1,719

An fba seller with lowest price - which can cause a price war if someone else also wants that and sells same item - can still take a while to get established.

I rather like price wars. Helps when I can buy stuff cheaper than wholesale with free delivery.

Posted: Aug 6, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017