Amazon Shipping Settings..

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by JPMiddleton, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPMiddleton

JPMiddleton UKBF Regular Free Member

277 35
    I'm experimenting with listing a few items on Amazon (we're a pretty small company) and i'm trying to get my head around how to set the shipping costs. Normally I don't have trouble with this, but even after getting a reply from someone via email - it feels as clear as mud!

All I want to do is set something similar to the following;

Order one item - £1 delivery
    Order two items - £1.5 delivery
    3 - £2
    4 - Free

I know there's special rules for media items, but we won't be selling anything in that category. Any quick links or tips anyone has would be useful!

Posted: Jun 13, 2014 By: JPMiddleton Member since: Aug 18, 2011
  2. SamStones

SamStones UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,054 134
    Amazon shipping settings are notoriously hard work and inflexible. They seem to favour the concept of overcharging customers with 'free' postage on everything. This is fine for people who order single items one at a time, but for anyone wanting to place an order for more than one item from the same seller gets ripped off by paying postage on each item.

The alternative to this is to charge postage through the rates table and just have a very blanket style pricing structure on everything based on weight. This of course relies on the correct weight of the item being in Amazon!

Are you using seller central?

Posted: Jun 14, 2014 By: SamStones Member since: Mar 1, 2010
  3. JPMiddleton

277 35
    Thanks for the reply Sam, weight will be easy - everything we sell is approximately the same weight (give or take 1 or 2 grammes). Yes, using seller central. Is there is a quick way I can do this?

Posted: Jun 17, 2014 By: JPMiddleton Member since: Aug 18, 2011
  4. SamStones

SamStones UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,054 134
    If everything you're selling is roughly the same weight you should have it pretty easy. Just go to Settings > Shipping Settings. I can't really help much from here though unfortunately as we don't use it ourselves.

Posted: Jun 17, 2014 By: SamStones Member since: Mar 1, 2010
  5. Jayser100

Jayser100 UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

718 122
    Try and keep shipping simple for your customers because everybody hates it when it's difficult to instantly see what the total price of an item is with shipping added. I don't think you will be able to set the shipping up on Amazon the way you want, to be honest. You will either need a flat rate, or an inclusive price with shipping already there. Regardless of whether Amazon will allow you to do it, if you make complicated shipping scales then it will cost you customers. I charged a shipping fee on items when I first started selling on Amazon. The day I scrapped it and integrated shipping into the asking price, sales shot up. Free shipping rules for customers, believe me. They want to see one price, and to know that is what they will pay. Buying is impulsive and if you make it so customers have to to work out the total price, many simply won't bother.

Posted: Jun 18, 2014 By: Jayser100 Member since: May 21, 2009
  6. JPMiddleton

277 35
    Hi Jayser, couldn't agree more -everything you've said is spot on, but we have our reasons for what we are charging (initially) for shipping on Amazon. As it happens we've set it up now just as we wanted to in the OP.

Thanks for the replies!

Posted: Jun 18, 2014 By: JPMiddleton Member since: Aug 18, 2011
  7. alanc

alanc UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

848 179
    For some years now, Amazon have been displaying the shipping cost below the item cost (on the 'from these sellers' page). The overall list is ordered for total cost (cheapest first), so it isn't hard for buyers to see the differences.

In my sector, the 'free shipping' sellers invariably have a higher product price to cover the delivery cost, and this is made plainly obvious by the Amazon layout.

To the OP: I don't think you can implement your proposed scheme with the Amazon shipping settings.

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 By: alanc Member since: Oct 28, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.