Amazon listings translation

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Rita_, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Rita_

Rita_ UKBF Newcomer Full Member

6 0
    Hello everyone,

I would like to get some recommendations from Amazon sellers who have experience in selling to other European marketplaces and translating their listings.

Here is my question: What are sellers looking for in translating listings? High-quality translation? Manual keyword research in addition to the translation? A simple way to translate the listings into multiple languages?

I suppose most sellers turn to freelancers (or even machine translation?). I represent Nitro, a self-service human translation platform and I'm trying to figure out whether Amazon sellers would find it to be a convenient translation solution or not. (It's not a promotion. I couldn't get any sellers for a customer development interview, so I hope it's OK to ask some questions here).

So, if you had this online human translation platform where you can just paste your text, choose the languages (say, Spanish, German, French, Italian), pay — and several hours later receive your translations completed by professional native-speaking translators — would it be a convenient solution for you or not? On the downside, there is no keyword research (unless you provide the keywords and ask the translator to try and include it in the text) and it is pricier than turning to a freelancer.

It is fast (most translations are ready within hours, 98% in less than 24 hours), high-quality (native speakers only), convenient... but is it what Amazon sellers would find perfect for them?

I appreciate all your thoughts. Thanks very much in advance.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 By: Rita_ Member since: Sep 9, 2020
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,443 2,970
    Unless its very cheap per word its not going to be cost effective on most listings.

Have seen people offering translation that works out as an additional £10 plus per product page per language.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,487 645
    That's actually quite a good idea (nothing like this exists to my knowledge) ...but obviously its success/takeup would depend hugely on the cost, so your platform would need to be upfront (i.e. so a customer can see prior to clicking 'Buy' & see what the cost would be. So for example, here's a random bullet point copied/pasted from a Morphy Richards knife set...

• Five pieces knife set complete with a bread knife, chef knife, slicing knife, utility knife and a paring knife

Your platform would need the following (with a 'Select' tick box), for example...

German: £1.20
    French: £1.20
    Spanish: £1.00

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  4. Rita_

6 0
    I think it's not super cheap, maybe about the average price on the market or a bit above it. I have copied the title and description from a product page (about 1500 characters/240 words) and the price is about 25 USD (about £20).

Thank you for your reply!

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 By: Rita_ Member since: Sep 9, 2020
  5. Rita_

6 0
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts! So do you think sellers would actually like the idea that they can translate the listing into multiple languages all at once, without needing to contact multiple freelancers?

I suspect that one wouldn't mind spending extra time on contacting several freelancers if it makes the cost as low as possible. Though it might depend on the kind of product and the revenue of a particular seller...

Yes, one can tick the languages for translation and see the price for each language upfront, it is calculated automatically. I have tried to add a screenshot of it, but alas, seems like I may not add images as a new member.

Your bullet point line translated into these 3 languages would cost $5.33. It got me wondering: would the price in USD be a turn-off for people from Europe?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer!

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 By: Rita_ Member since: Sep 9, 2020
  6. WebshopMechanic

WebshopMechanic UKBF Regular Free Member

407 200
    Rather than position this as a 'simple translation service' based on price, why don't you position it as a premium service where you will write descriptions in multiple languages that are focused on increasing sales.

Many Amazon sellers don't have a sense of how to sell their products. They may know keywords but they don't write descriptions for their customers and they fail to highlight problems solved by the product. They usually write some crappy intro and then list the features.

I think people would pay more for a service that would help them sell more, rather than a straight translation service which is pretty much a commodity. You would then end up with more repeat business and a more marketable service because you can get results.

Also, people in different countries shop in different ways. Local knowledge and experience in sales is key to selling more in these regions.

Just my thoughts.

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 By: WebshopMechanic Member since: Apr 27, 2017
  7. Rita_

6 0
    Thank you very much for your input! While I'm not sure we'll be able to add this as additional feature (as we are first and foremost a human translation service, we don't offer copywriting services), it is worth giving a thought.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 By: Rita_ Member since: Sep 9, 2020
  8. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Ace Free Member

2,461 574
    FWIW we sell across all Pan EU marketplaces and would definitely be interested in using a site like this.

As long as the translation is being undertaken by native speakers, then we would require nothing else. All of our titles and copy are keyword rich so we would be providing these already-we would simply require the translation of the copy. (Obviously so that it reads correctly in the native language. )

As for currency: We currently use a selection of freelancers on fiverr and pay them in USDs. As the payments are converted automatically it shouldn't really be an issue. That being said, it would do no harm if you were to offer the option to pay in different currencies. (Including the euro.)

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  9. Rita_

6 0
    Thanks very much for your reply! Yes, as each translation is carried out by a native speaker, it reads correctly in their language.

@Mister B I would be very happy to hear more about your translation needs for Pan EU marketplaces in exchange for a voucher on Nitro which you can use for some free translations :) Please, let me know if you would be interested in such exchange.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 By: Rita_ Member since: Sep 9, 2020