Amazon Business

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Paul Kelly ICHYB, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Kelly ICHYB

Paul Kelly ICHYB Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

6,179 914
    Has anyone tried Amazon For Business?

I have had discussions with 2 different people in 2 days who both recommend it, but I can't see the point.

I am already a prime customer, so can get next day delivery on many items and I tend to go to ebay to buy business stuff. They have offers, but so do many other online outlets.

Have I missed something obvious?

Posted: Jul 5, 2019 By: Paul Kelly ICHYB Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  2. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Legend

1,844 648
    It's more for businesses that have staff that buy stuff and if you want to pay by invoice at the end of each billing period.

I keep getting the popup telling me to join but Amazon Prime is more than enough.

Posted: Jul 5, 2019 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  3. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Legend

1,832 337
    It's for buyers, not sellers.

Posted: Jul 6, 2019 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  4. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht Verified Business ✔️

1,116 266
    Going for it looked great at the beginning but last time I checked you have a min. £30 + VAT per order to qualify for free next day shipping.

I also contacted them and asked if a business delivery would be prioritised with their own delivery service like DHL , UPS and other companies do were you get your deliveries before lunch time and residential customer they deliver in the afternoon evening.

Ordering on prime next day can be hell if you are a business. Not the first time that they tried to deliver at 7pm to my business.

Posted: Jul 6, 2019 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend

28,576 3,551
    From what I gather the bonus element to it is 30 day payment terms.

Not something I bother with, I just buy as normal.

Posted: Jul 6, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Legend

2,550 663
    As someone who sells on Amazon, I can report that there aren't many associated 'business sales' ...I'd imagine the takeup hasn't quite gone as expected.

Posted: Jul 7, 2019 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. TheoNe

TheoNe UKBF Contributor

135 15
    In my experience, the 'Amazon For Business' service boasts a number of distinct differences. Any business that signs-up can assign individual users who are permitted to purchase supplies from the wide variety of business-specific products on offer. All account information and payment methods can also be handled from the user-friendly dashboard. In addition, you can also create multi-user accounts which can be helpful if you have more than one address, purchasing system integration, a corporate credit line which you can use to finance purchases and analytics are provided, so you can track your expenditure!

I hope this helps.

Posted: Jul 8, 2019 By: TheoNe Member since: Jul 6, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. strikingedge

strikingedge UKBF Ace

462 112
    We had 7 or 8 people buying items from Amazon.

Some used a new company account registered to their work email, some used a personal account, some both!

Several subscribed to Prime and billed the company.

They used a variety of cards - usually business cards (sometimes not!) but often not in their name (borrowed from a manager for one purchase, then just saved in the account for future purchases).

Reconciliation was a nightmare and getting VAT receipts was incredibly difficult.

We wouldn't know about the purchase until we tried to reconcile - often months later.

We had some "abuse" and there were no credit limits or approvals - we had policies in place of course, but no way to enforce them.

Amazon Business largely resolved this.

We put in place individual spend limits and manager approvals (which can be delegated during holidays etc.).

We moved to end of month invoicing - which improved cash flow. We restricted purchases from stores that aren't VAT registered. Spending was tracked by department and matched to the Chart of Accounts.

We shut down all those "accidental" Prime subscriptions and consolidated all spending in a single account.

The saving in processing time was incredible which meant everything was reconciled by end of month - and by tracking what everyone was spending, we were able to make cost savings. Ensuring we claimed back all VAT was worth it on its own.

We haven't benefitted too much yet from the business pricing - discounts only available to business users in return for higher volume purchases - but I expect we will in time.

Not bad for a free service that only took 2-3 hours to set-up.

Posted: Jul 8, 2019 By: strikingedge Member since: Jan 25, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.