Amazon Brand Regisrty - anyone signing their brands up to it ?

Discussion in 'Websites & Ecommerce' started by danny156, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danny156

danny156 UKBF Regular Free Member

140 5
    Amazon have launched a new feature called Amazon brand registry for sellers who manufacture or sell their own branded products

The idea being to give the owner of the brand more control over the listing and content but also to help matching errors in the catalogue

We own brand white label goods from China and really struggle with this problem especially as we spend time actually 'branding' our products whereas other sellers do not they just give it a name

We were thinking of signing up to it but I am just wondering what other people think / what do ? - is this a problem in your category ? we are in apparel

Danny

Posted: Aug 7, 2012 By: danny156 Member since: Jan 11, 2011
  2. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Ace Free Member

2,489 581
    Interesting.

We've developed our own brand too and constantly have people passing their cheap Chinese imports off as out branded goods.

I don't see how the brand registry will help us as as soon as we spot the violations we cazz them. As for listings and errors, then as we don't sell to anyone else in the trade then we control that area as well.

Or is there something that I'm missing?

Mister B

Posted: Aug 7, 2012 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  3. AbsolutNut

AbsolutNut UKBF Regular Free Member

173 39
    We felt the information provided by Amazon regarding this was a bit vague. If we could have more control over the page content on Amazon i.e. formatting, structure, multimedia etc. we would sign up in a heartbeat.

We are going to play a wait and see approach to see if it is worth it.

Steve :)

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 By: AbsolutNut Member since: May 17, 2010
  4. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,561 266
    What do you mean "cazz" them

Posted: Aug 15, 2012 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  5. AbsolutNut

173 39
    I think he probably means reports them. We regularly monitor for infringements of our trademark and just simply send a polite email to the seller to bring it to their attention. Usually this works - certainly by the second email which is a lot more strongly worded.

We had one seller though who refused to back off and still didn't seem to get it. We had to have our IP lawyer send them a warning letter before they eventually backed down. We were all set to haul their sorry arse through the courts.

Posted: Aug 15, 2012 By: AbsolutNut Member since: May 17, 2010
  6. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Ace Free Member

2,489 581
    Correct.

When we spot the infringements they have a first strike which is politely advised, a second strike which is formal and then we have Amazon intervene on our behalf. Normally the first strike works but some try it on.

Mister B

Posted: Aug 16, 2012 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  7. Page

3,561 266
    Is trademark the same as a registered brand name

Is this something I could/should do myself or should I be using a company to do it ?

I assume I can only Razz them if I have a registered name

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  8. AbsolutNut

173 39
    Yes a trademark is a distinctive name/mark that an individual, organization or company can apply for either in the UK, EU and other territories - all depends where you are planning to trade.

You can use an IP lawyer to do it for you for an additional fee of around £200 plus the trademark registration fees (UK IPO typically registration around £200 for one classification and about £50 for each additional class).

We did our own however but will be re-doing it soon as our business has changed and we are selling a wider range of products.

Posted: Aug 21, 2012 By: AbsolutNut Member since: May 17, 2010
  9. Page

3,561 266
    Thanks for that

Was it easy to do yourself - how long should I allow for the process

Are there any other advantages of using an IP lawyer

If you used someone outside - could you recommend them to me

How long does it take from applying until accepted

Ta

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    Posted: Aug 22, 2012 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  10. AbsolutNut

173 39
    Hi,

Didn't take us long at all. The hardest part is trying to imagine how many products you want your trademark to cover - not just current but also future possibilities. Sometimes, looking at competitor's registrations - you can search these on the UK IPO website can offer up clues.

Our IP lawyers are Harrison Goddard Foote who offer reasonable rates. There are many others however which a simple google search will yield. Just get some quotes.

I can't remember how long it takes exactly but I think it is around 3-4 months for complete acceptance. It will be published before then but third parties have 3 months to object against it if they wish.

Posted: Aug 23, 2012 By: AbsolutNut Member since: May 17, 2010
  11. Page

3,561 266
    (Thanks for getting back)

Did you bother with EU and even further afield

I assume the costs just go up and up

Posted: Aug 23, 2012 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  12. AbsolutNut

173 39
    Just UK - it is a LOT more expensive for EU wide coverage.

Posted: Aug 23, 2012 By: AbsolutNut Member since: May 17, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.