Am I alone on this?

Discussion in 'Market Research' started by Serenity Craig, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Serenity Craig

Serenity Craig UKBF Newcomer Full Member

15 0
    Hey Everyone,

Look I know we hear about Wellbeing and Taking care of yourself, but I wanted to see if im alone in this thought.

So I am a business owner, however im a little spiritual in the sense of Meditations, Reiki, Crystals and alike. So when i'm stressed or worried; I feel that talking to say my wife is a no (it's a man thing) but what do you do and how do you deal with problems, stresses and issues in your business or working environment?

I have an FSB membership, but really looking at EVERYTHING they offer, I only use about 5% of it? so do you feel you have access to support as a business owner?

Thanks
    C

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 By: Serenity Craig Member since: May 30, 2020
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,990 10,096
    I do tai-chi. Don’t ever get stressed or worried. It’s a man thing.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,125 807
    I do Southern Comfort, I find it very relaxing, particularly when combined with Merlot.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  4. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,831 4,634
    I talk to my wife.

I talk to my Great Dane.

I talk to my horse.

I talk to the German Shepherd.

I don't meditate.

I don't look at or listen to crystals (or whatever it is that you do with crystals in private).

I don't eat Reiki - I don't even know what Reiki tastes like.

I don't get stressed and I do not worry.

I do not have any problems, though I do have tasks that need to be completed.

I drink beer.

At this festive season, I might just put myself outside of a glass of single malt.

It's a man thing.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  5. BustersDogs

BustersDogs UKBF Ace Free Member

1,373 254
    My dogs talk to me. They can be quite supportive, in their way.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 By: BustersDogs Member since: Jun 7, 2011
  6. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,257 3,345
    My router broke down last week. Had to spend an hour with the wife.
    She seems like a nice lady.

Stress? I craft, I burn, I bake, I take a break from whatever for a few minutes.
    Not usually any major stresses.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  7. John Hemming

John Hemming UKBF Regular Full Member

438 73
    I talk to my cats. It does not seem to have any effect.

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 By: John Hemming Member since: May 23, 2019
  8. pcourtney

pcourtney UKBF Contributor Free Member

43 8
    there is not really much support out there full stop, I don't think the FSB is much use in that regard

======================
    I have an FSB membership, but really looking at EVERYTHING they offer, I only use about 5% of it?

so do you feel you have access to support as a business owner?
    ===================

the only way I got through 40 years of being self employed and running various businesses was to talk to my peers, drink with them, play golf with them, and probe them about all sorts of stuff all the time, what I now tell young business persons ( well younger than me ) is to find a mentor ( or two of three ) , that can be one of the biggest assets you can have in any business, a mentor who sees the bigger picture, because 95% of the time all we see is the shitty little stuff that keeps tripping us entrepeneurs up, most mentors are retired and only too willing to help, in fact they thoroughly enjoy it in the main, but it should not be a chit chat, it should be a little more formal than that, with an agenda prepared 3 or 4 days before meeting up, because it allows for some thinking time to be applied to the items that need to be discussed on the agenda

one of my mentors has a workshop day at his house once a week, he books people in for hourly slots with 7 or 8 entrepeneurs ( recently these have been zoom calls due to Covid) , he does not charge for his time, he just loves to help people with his knowledge and his contacts in the world of business, he does not see himself as retired, he still has a very active business brain, and feels like he is giving something back - this is the sort of thing FSB and the IoD and others should be championing, but they just don't see the value !

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 By: pcourtney Member since: Oct 7, 2008
  9. Talay

Talay UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,927 857
    FSB is a pyramid quasi ponzi scheme.

Members to get more members with higher up members trying to recruit more members and up the greasy pole you go.

I think their "business" is signing up more businesses.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 By: Talay Member since: Mar 12, 2012
  10. pcourtney

pcourtney UKBF Contributor Free Member

43 8
    you must be thinking of another FSB

The Federation of Small Businesses is a UK business organisation representing small and medium-sized businesses. It was formed in 1974 as the National Federation of Self Employed. The current name for the organisation was adopted in 1991

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 By: pcourtney Member since: Oct 7, 2008
  11. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

3,096 983
    I am not aware of anything FSB offer that would help with stress.

That is not a complaint. Likewise, my bank manager is uniquely unhelpful if I phone up to chat through a tough day.

A walk on the beach is more helpful. Unless you are not close to the beach.

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  12. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,652 4,526
    Come on here and wind the bean-counters up, failing that annoy the mods.

It's not exactly stress relief, still fun though!

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  13. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,569 1,993
    If somebody has p££ed me off and they are nearby I will chase them with a worn out railway sleeper this normally dispels any stress .

I run in the wilds (country side ) or do 8 miles walks

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  14. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,379 2,191
    A few years back I set up a group under the name of Lonely Owner - as the name suggests, it wa a group of business owners to meet over dinner & discuss business issues in a discreet environment.

It was 100% NOT a networking environment.

Pretty much every business owner we introduced it to thought it was a great ifea. But most had reasons why they couldn't attend.

A few just wanted to pitch themselves.

Since it was pure not-for-profits, we eventually gave up with the consistent cat-herding involved. Then loads of people were upset as it was a great idea, despite having never attended.

Conclusion - there is merit in setting up something similar, but arranging it needs to be a job for someone, which means creating reveue.

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  15. thetiger2015

thetiger2015 UKBF Regular Free Member

458 148
    It's lonely a the top!

Talk to the other half - you'd be surprised at how they can simplify any problems because they're not at all involved in your business and don't actually care all that much. They can be objective and critical, where you may be obsessing over something that isn't actually that important.

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 By: thetiger2015 Member since: Aug 29, 2015
  16. Paul Kelly ICHYB

Paul Kelly ICHYB UKBF Legend Staff Member

5,806 829
    The FSB are our competition and, even though we are more relevant to modern businesses and startups, I can't let this go without response. Whilst they may have commissioned sales people, they are not a pyramid/ponzi scheme! The work they, we and other organisations do to support SMEs is invaluable. The benefits, advice and savings offered are amazing, however, I do say to our new members that if we cannot deliver value greater than the membership fee in a few months, we are doing something wrong.

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 By: Paul Kelly ICHYB Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  17. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,848 289
    Utter tosh!

Posted: Dec 8, 2020 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  18. Naheed Mir

Naheed Mir UKBF Regular Free Member

111 11
    Workplace stress and issues are the dangerous mental health situation that almost every professional is facing. When I am under stress, I go out for a walk, listen to some music, read the newspaper, spend time with my family or I do an activity that will give me a fresh perspective on things.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 By: Naheed Mir Member since: Aug 10, 2020
  19. lazal2us

lazal2us UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 2
    The FSB is not a ponzi LOL

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 1:32 PM By: lazal2us Member since: Mar 23, 2017