General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Alcoholic Ice Cream Van

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Alex Bond, May 30, 2020.

1. Alex Bond

Alex Bond UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I am interested in selling alcoholic slushies from my icecream van.

Has anyone done this... what sort of licensing / permissions are required?

Thanks

Posted: May 30, 2020 By: Alex Bond Member since: May 30, 2020
  2. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

16,171 3,420
    Posted: May 30, 2020 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

22,888 2,757
    Ah the fun of kids who want an alcoholic ice cream....

Posted: May 30, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Regular Free Member

1,546 460
    Wishing you all the best.

Posted: May 30, 2020 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  5. ExoPaul

ExoPaul UKBF Contributor Free Member

76 30
    Alcohol licence for starters, insurance may need to be different than for regular ice cream vans due to the nature of the business.
    Might be a good idea to look up one of them Bus Bars and see what they require to operate as that is a very similar business (minus the ice cream).

As long as you are licenced properly and permitted to sell it, then as long as you do Age ID checks on customers that might be under 18, by asking anyone who looks younger than 25 for photo id, you should be okay I think.

You might also be asked to make the police aware of what you are doing, which might be a good idea if you are driving an ice cream van to places where kids are, and then trying to sell alcohol to their parents. It could be viewed poorly by some communities and if they are already aware of it and that you are licenced and what policies you have in place for underage drinking they will not make your life as tough.

One other thing, I don't know if there are any regulations regarding selling alcohol alongside child products and whether it is illegal to advertise over 18 products next to kids advertising. That may be something to look into with a solicitor who can advise on these things.

Posted: May 30, 2020 By: ExoPaul Member since: May 26, 2018
  6. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,592 2,411
    I am not clear about the benefits to the business, are you expecting a large number of sales for a highly watered down drink v the costs involved especially insurance on where you store the vans as no doubt they will have spirits kept in them

Posted: May 31, 2020 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  7. Socio South West

Socio South West UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

960 247
    In the dark musty corners of my past lies an analytical chemists hat - You would be well advised to investigate the requirements for getting mixtures involving alcohols to freeze or chill properly... Quite different behaviours from purely water or dairy based products

I also remember some super boozy rum'n'raisin ice cream failing to set in an ice cream maker many years ago - but don't remember much of the evening after consuming the slush!

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 By: Socio South West Member since: Mar 24, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,692 822
    I don't know about the licensing. But it is warm here in the Orangezone offices, even with the window open.

I would give a Gin 99 I go. Right now.

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010