Advice sought on impact of import VAT and Duty on ceramics to be exhibited in the UK

Discussion in 'International Business' started by HJC, Feb 5, 2018.

1. HJC

HJC UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I am planning an international ceramics exhibition for my business later this year. I have asked several individual makers of ceramics to send me works from USA, Japan and Australia.

I have done some google research and it appears confusing. Here are the facts of what the situation is - any advice appreciated.

Each maker is an individual who makes works of ceramic art signed by them (which seems important for reduced rate import VAT - correct?)

The work will be provided to me on a sale or return basis - also called consignment basis. I will offer it for sale in the exhibition but it may not sell and I will have to send it back.

Each artist will pack the goods and send them at their cost to us in the UK - does this still make me an importer?

The goods will be held by my business for no longer than 3 months.

What should the artist put on customs forms when sending it over to me to minimise my charges on point of entry?

how do I avoid them paying import duties when sending it back?

Thanks for any help provided in advance!

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: HJC Member since: Feb 5, 2018
  2. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

Most countries, US and Oz in particular, have much higher thresholds so there may be no duty payable anyway.

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015