General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Advice sought on dealing with a very difficult manager...

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Arkey, Sep 14, 2020 at 7:44 PM.

1. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,605 1,317
    Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 10:48 PM By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  2. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,468 1,176
    Many years back I read a Michael Crichton novel. It started with a character with principals at work who avoided his lawyers advice on a problem at work, and ended up getting fired even though he was right, his boss acting illegally and all his next job interviews somehow had the story that he was a risk and a troublemaker on their desk next two his CV. Sounds very true to me. Those people who are in the right and take their firm to a tribunal, and win. Would any boss employ somebody who took their last one to court?

Sometimes you have two decisions to make. Leave, or stay and shut up. I'm now good friends with an ex-boss. At work, I annoyed him intensely, pointing out errors and making his decisions, often wrong, impossible to implement. What I forgot was that one of us owned the business. Now, we both see the others point of view - 30 yrs back we were always diametrically opposite on everything!

For people with autism, anywhere on the scale, both sides have to make adjustments, and often one or both are unwilling or unable. Nice autistic folk can be actually useful to a business if understood. Bloody minded ones a total PITA!

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 10:38 AM By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  3. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

14,388 3,834
    It is possible that both parties are on the spectrum.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 11:12 AM By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  4. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,790 1,065
    Raise a grievance with her line manager.

Document all of the daft things she has had you do and the follow up meetings. Print off any evidence you have and document how much of your time you have wasted and how much of her time has bee wasted and ask that you be put under a different manager or at the very least she does not to your annual reviews etc.

I would be a bit annoyed if I found out I was paying a manager who thinks its ok to ask her team to email the publisher of a dictionary and then having a meeting about the wording of that email.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 5:12 PM By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  5. Lisa Thomas

Lisa Thomas UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

3,570 463
    I agree. I would also respond to her with unnecessary requests and say that you do not feel that would be a best use of your time.

Also, keep a daily diary of everything that has happened and ensure you keep copies of everything offsite to back up any future grievance.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 12:45 PM By: Lisa Thomas Member since: Apr 20, 2015
  6. Aniela

Aniela UKBF Regular Free Member

329 41
    My post is the real world.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 8:01 PM By: Aniela Member since: Mar 28, 2020
  7. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,169 1,764
    Is it ?

Sometimes you lot on here on here can off the chain !

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 10:05 AM By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  8. Bob Morgan

Bob Morgan UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

940 251
    I would argue that they are both on the same 'Speculum!'

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 10:44 AM By: Bob Morgan Member since: Apr 15, 2018