Advice re VOIP

Discussion in 'First Steps To Starting A Business' started by Joe E, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe E

Joe E UKBF Enthusiast

431 72
    I'm currently helping my nephew set up a 1st business, he is looking to have VOIP for his main number trouble is as it will based from home he is tied into virgin media.
    So question is can he have VOIP with a virgin media line rather than a BT line?

Posted: Mar 4, 2016 By: Joe E Member since: Oct 24, 2007
  2. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Legend

3,975 1,670
    I use Voipfone through a Virgin media connection and its a pain in the backside.

Look at my posts in this thread for further info

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    Posted: Mar 4, 2016 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  3. nahosting

nahosting UKBF Enthusiast

252 62
    VOIP is independent of broadband provider. Having a good connection is vital as we find that over mobile it can be a bit iffy on 3g and 4g sometimes.

Posted: Mar 4, 2016 By: nahosting Member since: Mar 19, 2013
  4. Joe E

Joe E UKBF Enthusiast

431 72
    Thanks AllUpHere, so its doable but problematic.
    I suppose if you get a good provider it can make all the difference.

5. Joe E

Joe E UKBF Enthusiast

431 72
    Thanks for your input nahosting, cheers

6. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Legend

3,975 1,670
    According to Voipfone support it's something to do with the way Virgin routers work. Once there is a connection issue it all falls down and the phone can't reconnect to the voipfone network or something (until I notice its disconnected and re-boot it). It does work, but it needs constant awareness to make sure I'm not missing calls.

Voipfone support are always very helpful and even login to my computer to change router settings and install new phone software, but it never makes any difference.

Posted: Mar 4, 2016 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  7. Joe E

Joe E UKBF Enthusiast

431 72
    Thanks for explaining that, I'll relay all that back and see what he wants to do.

8. My Owl 1

My Owl 1 UKBF Enthusiast

934 91
    One thing to be said about having VOIP as main business line, is there is no back up when internet goes down. I know of a lot of businesses that have a voip line attached to their broadband but still have a standard phone line just in case. Also do check that there isnt a usage cap on the virgin internet package.

Posted: Mar 5, 2016 By: My Owl 1 Member since: Nov 17, 2008
  9. Fusionhost Group

Fusionhost Group UKBF Newcomer

129 1
    We use Voipfone and Virgin Media 200MB with absolutely no issues

Posted: Mar 5, 2016 By: Fusionhost Group Member since: Sep 8, 2005
  10. Joe E

Joe E UKBF Enthusiast

431 72
    Thanks MyOwl1 good point to think about as well.

Posted: Mar 6, 2016 By: Joe E Member since: Oct 24, 2007
  11. Joe E

Joe E UKBF Enthusiast

431 72
    Thanks for your sharing your experience.

Posted: Mar 6, 2016 By: Joe E Member since: Oct 24, 2007
  12. cjd

cjd Verified Business ✔️

15,526 3,143
    The best thing to do is give us a call on 020 7043 5555 and have a chat - whoever you get will give you objective advice, they're not sales people. If there is a problem with your particular provider it will be a problem general to all VoIP services and it's likely to be the particular router you have - a think called SIP ALG. Often it can just be turned off and that's the end of it. Make a note of the router name and model.

Posted: Mar 6, 2016 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  13. Joe E

Joe E UKBF Enthusiast

431 72
    Cheers cjd, have relayed this back many thanks.

Posted: Mar 7, 2016 By: Joe E Member since: Oct 24, 2007
  14. Alan_MultileasingSE

Alan_MultileasingSE UKBF Newcomer

32 3
    Not sure if it helps - but my voip line has the option to call directly to an app on my mobile, thus avoiding the call actually ringing the phone on my desk (useful when I am away from the office). It works like a virtual phone line, and rings separetely to your normall nuber so long as you have a 3g/4g connection (or wifi to the mobile). I use a company called Vonage, and it costs me a massive £11 a month for the basic package. I have no connection to them (no pun intended!) just a satisfied customer :)

Alan

Posted: Mar 7, 2016 By: Alan_MultileasingSE Member since: Jan 28, 2016
  15. Joe E

Joe E UKBF Enthusiast

431 72
    Thanks for sharing that Alan, appreciate it.

Posted: Mar 7, 2016 By: Joe E Member since: Oct 24, 2007
  16. Alan_MultileasingSE

32 3
    No worries

I did have a car dealer friend who had a few different numbers for 'sales' and 'service' etc. They all rang through to his mobile phone, and the app indicated which number had been rung so he knew how to answer! Not sure what company he used, but I am sure a quick Google search will come up with the answer

Good luck with everything

Alan

Posted: Mar 7, 2016 By: Alan_MultileasingSE Member since: Jan 28, 2016
  17. cjd

cjd Verified Business ✔️

15,526 3,143
    That's not how it works I'm afraid.

The call to your landline which then diverts to your mobile is fine but it's chargeable because it has to be redirected back into the mobile network - it doesn't use the internet.

If you're going to be away from your landline but at a fixed location where you know the internet is reliable, you can divert to your mobile using a SIP extension from a virtual PBX - that would be a free call for you end to end. We do that kind of thing - it would cost £2 per month for the landline number plus £1pm for the extension. We provide a free app for iPhones etc that allows that.

You could use a 'landline number on you mobile' service so that calls to the landline are actually answered by your mobile but that's a monthly fee service and only you could answer it - inless you gave your mobile to someone else.

You can't do what you want to do for nothing, some bits are chareable but you're only talking pennies. Forget Skype too, they're quite expensive and nowhere near as good a business VoIP service.

If you want to talk through what's possible, give us a call on Monday 020 7043 5555

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Alan_MultileasingSE

32 3
    Hope you are all refreshed and relaxed after your holiday!

We use these guys for the service in our office, and it has just been set up in a 2nd of our offices. You can start basic, and add as you go. The phone line has the option to ring through to a app on a smartphone (I believe for free, but out going costs come out of your minutes). As I said before, no connection to them just satisfied customers, as they have saved us quite a bit of money (and hassle..)

www vonage co uk

Posted: Apr 1, 2016 By: Alan_MultileasingSE Member since: Jan 28, 2016
  19. cjd

cjd Verified Business ✔️

15,526 3,143
    These days you don't have to buy a 'solution', what you do is build the bits you need to make it do what you need it to do, and because you can and subtract the bits as you like, it can change over time.

The best thing is to call us and get advice - we don't have bonused sales staff, they're tech support and will only recommend what you need. 0207 043 5555

Posted: Apr 1, 2016 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.